It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats up in NZ? Rip in crust?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I was looking at this website,

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

and noticed a whole series of earthquakes all at ZERO depth all at almost exactly the same time in UTC, from 00:39:56 to 00:42:00. In a range from @2.0-4.5 magnitude

The website only holds the last 12 hours worth of quakes, so they will dissappear of the screen soon and I dont know how to archive a webpage. It says the source feed is NZGEO.net The USGS website shows nothing in that area.

Not sure what this is. An anomoly? A rip in the surface of the earth along the eastern shore of NZ?

Anyone got any Ideas? I took some pictures of my computer screen. Anyone know who to quickly upload an image from my computer to ATS? It does not appear to be a straight forward task.
edit on 10-2-2013 by Idahomie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I stopped using the global incident quake map for this very reason. Too many glitches.

If USGS updates to reflect said activity, I retract my statement.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Idahomie

here is a screen capture from the websight you linked

not sure if this many small quakes would mean "a break up"

more a swarm of small quakes

xp

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Why not check at the source of information?

www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
ATS menu// tools// ats uploads// then do an ats upload// then ats gives you a link to post the pic in your thread. Easy as pie, sort of.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
count was 61 on the OP Global Incident Map (I copied to a file and counted once only.)

count is CURRENTLY 30 on www.geonet.org.nz... which is all for the date of the 10th so far.

Also, they have another page which shows 10 for the 10th, of which 7 aren't reliable yet and 3 are "good".
www.geonet.org.nz...

Maybe their 30 will be reduced to one, two or three after they finish sorting out their data.

edit on 10/2/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks Chad. I was busy trying to figure out how to upload a picture to ATS, finally gave up and was going to go to the source info but didnt have to .org.nz part thanks.

The info there is much more detailed than the global incident site which was calling them all at zero depth.

Sorry to disappoint your desire for a "break up" XPLoder, I was just looking at some website before I went to bed and saw an anomoly that piqued my interest. That little curly thing at the end of the thread title, ever seen one? Theres another! Know what they mean? Might you be able to guess yet?

Move along now. As you seem to imply, nothing to see here.

edit on 10-2-2013 by Idahomie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

i think you might have misunderstood my post,
i live in new zealand,
and i follow the nzgs

i was just trying to help

xploder

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Idahomie

Not sure what this is. An anomoly? A rip in the surface of the earth along the eastern shore of NZ?

There's a subduction zone parallel and near the eastern coast of North island. You can make it out in googlemaps as a sudden drop in the sea floor.

If that thing gives way, you'll get a megathrust earthquake likely between mag 8 and 9 and a tsunami.

There's increased likelihood of another "big one" in NZ with all the recent 8.0+ quakes happening around the Australian Plate which the North Island is included.

Also note, in North island, also the eastern part but inland, you have the Taupo volcanic zone which is a system of volcanoes including supervolcanoes like Taupo and Rotorua lake where 5.0 quakes are regular occurence.

top topics

join