It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we heading into a new Ice Age ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Hello Fellow ATS'ers !
been a long time since i have written a new thread .. so im back

i have shared this funny though with friends/familly that this winter look like an ice age so far
maybe im not far from the truth after all joking aside
This winter have been one of the worst in term of precipitation and very cold temperature
many in the north hemisphere will agree with me on that

It remind me a scene from Day after tomorrow where Denis Quaid said
to move people into the south to survive the big snow storm front

The 21 december 2012 was the start of the winter solstice
end of a big cycle and start of a new cycle with a ice age
it would explain why this winter has receive record snowfall all around the world
with extremely cold temperature .. colder then usual winters

I have felt the difference this year in Canada
compare to all other winters we had in the past

Are we entering a new ice age with more snowfall to come
will we have a normal 2013 spring/summer ?

Listen to this video below, very interesting

Contrary to the conventional wisdom of the day, the real danger facing humanity is not global warming, but more likely the coming of a new Ice Age.What we live in now is known as an interglacial, a relatively brief period between long ice ages. Unfortunately for us, most interglacial periods last only about ten thousand years, and that is how long it has been since the last Ice Age ended.How much longer do we have before the ice begins to spread across the Earth's surface? Less than a hundred years or several hundred? We simply don't know Even if all the temperature increase over the last century is attributable to human activities, the rise has been relatively modest one of a little over one degree Fahrenheit — an increase well within natural variations over the last few thousand years. While an enduring temperature rise of the same size over the next century would cause humanity to make some changes, it would undoubtedly be within our ability to adapt.Entering a new ice age, however, would be catastrophic for the continuation of modern civilization.

last year we had one of the best winter ever
3-4 snowstorms with a very warm front .. my kind of winter

could it be a precursor effect that next winter would be a harsh one ?

Remember the snowpocalypse in Russia last month : Link

Now its the North American continent to be impacted Link

New York (CNN) -- A massive blizzard that dumped as much as 3 feet of snow in parts of the Northeast is heading out to sea, as workers across New York and New England struggle to get airports, trains and highways back online.

The snowstorm, a product of two converging weather systems, knocked out power for more than 635,000 customers and prompted the U.S. Postal Service to suspend deliveries in seven states.

About 4,800 flights were canceled as of Saturday, and at least four people died in traffic accidents related to the storm in New York, Connecticut and southern Ontario

Last Ice age happened around 10000 yrs ago

The last glaciation centered on the huge ice sheets of North America and Eurasia. Considerable areas in the Alps, the Himalaya and the Andes were ice-covered, and Antarctica remained glaciated.

Canada was nearly completely covered by ice, as well as the northern part of the USA, both blanketed by the huge Laurentide ice sheet. Alaska remained mostly ice free due to arid climate conditions. Local glaciations existed in the Rocky Mountains and the Cordilleran ice sheet and as ice fields and ice caps in the Sierra Nevada in northern California.[2] In Britain, mainland Europe, and northwestern Asia, the Scandinavian ice sheet once again reached the northern parts of the British Isles, Germany, Poland, and Russia, extending as far east as the Taimyr Peninsula in western Siberia.[3] The maximum extent of western Siberian glaciation was reached approximately 18,000 to 17,000 BP and thus later than in Europe (22,000–18,000 BP).[4] Northeastern Siberia was not covered by a continental-scale ice sheet.[5] Instead, large, but restricted, icefield complexes covered mountain ranges within northeast Siberia, including the Kamchatka-Koryak Mountains

Last Glacial Period

It covered half the planet on the northen hemisphere (remind me of the first picture above)

An artist's impression of the last glacial period at glacial maximum. Based on: Crowley, Thomas J. (1995).

Im not a weather or ice age expert but i can see a bad patern here
developing since the 21 december 2012 last winter solstice
of course the officials will never tell us that we are heading into a new ice age
but i believe we are already seeing the start of it

not the end of the world but a lot of damn snow to shovel

so whats you thoughs .. possible ice age or not ?

edit on 2/9/2013 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
No, were entering the last month or so of WINTER. Nothing but a blizzard, these tend to happen every couple years. While I do agree the earth will no doubt go through its natural changes in due time, it will be a change that takes place over a relatively long period of time. We will NOT be entering any ice age for at least several years.
ETA: S&F for a well put together thread

edit on 9-2-2013 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Extreme weather events are consistent with Global Warming hypotheses.

They all agreed that we can expect to see bigger storms, more extreme rainfalls, more severe droughts. It's the averages you have to look at, extreme biting cold snaps will be evened out by hotter summers. Of course it all depends also on which part of the world you're in.

Global Warming for the UK for example means it will get generally a lot colder here, and a whole lot wetter. Which is exactly what is happening.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The cycle of global warming and cooling spans tens of thousands of years. A couple of years of bad snow does not make an ice age. Without man-made climate change, the next ice age would be 50,000 years away.

Don't panic!

Regards
edit on 9/2/2013 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think the seasons and weather patterns are shifting a bit.

I remember, as a kid 35 years ago, having snow up to my knees all winter long. Now? maybe a few lights snows, 2-3" a couple time a year,

I remember long, rainy days, all day once in a while in the spring/summer. Now, a very rare occurance.
edit on 9-2-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Painterz

Global Warming for the UK for example means it will get generally a lot colder here, and a whole lot wetter. Which is exactly what is happening.

this is brilliant, we DEFINITELY know that such a complex issue as climate in relation to global warming will make the small area of the UK colder and wetter

Unbelievable......

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm not going to agree with you, Alaska has had some of the warmest weather in years, it's raining at my house right now with a temp of 40 degrees, normally for February it's -20 to 5.. Way warm this winter, snow machining sucks, lots of construction on hold..

Stop with your rediculous ideas. It's called weather, if I was to be alarmed of cold icy weather us in Alaska would notice. -30 is what we had for two 2week durations in dec, and jan, COMPLETLEY normal friend.

Don't get too excited

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Thank you - very well put. S&F for this. But as usual, you can see all of the sheep baa-ing exactly what the Anthropomorphic Global Warming Reverend Al Gore preaches to them.

Seriously - global warming will cause a lot of the planet to cool down? Just take out the religious preachings of the AGW religion and ask yourself logically if that statement makes any sense. The planet will cool, due to global warming, because I am drinking water out of a plastic disposable bottle while driving my car to work.

That's funnier than any other religion that I can think of.

I am of course all for getting rid of disposable plastic bottles and trying to find alternative fuel and what not - but only for the environment, so we can reduce pollution and the endless piles of garbage floating in our oceans. Not because I believe in this AGW fairy tale.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

I miss the days of hatcher's getting 4ft in a night, all of us kids were told to stay outside All day
Quit worrying and go make a snowman, Christ, it just rained 2" in 24 hours, gotta go, building a boat
To survive spring a d the melt-off lol, lmao

Remember Cordova that got over 20' of snow last year, they did just fine. Stuff like this has happened over the year and years of history, nothing strange or scary about it. Stop with your trying to fill dads shoes.... Lol is this a family member of Al Gore, thx for the laugh
edit on 9-2-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)
btw to answer your OP, No, we are not
edit on 9-2-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Seriously - global warming will cause a lot of the planet to cool down?
Is a lot of the planet seeing record low temperatures? Can you provide some statistics on that?

On the other hand:
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

"It remind me a scene from Day after tomorrow where Denis Quaid said
to move people into the south to survive the big snow storm front "

You watch too many movies friend

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
No. We are not heading into a new ice age, and indeed are about as far from a new ice age as it's possible to get.

Back in the 60s and 70s it was thought that Interglacials always lasted around 10,000 years and since the current Interglacial began around 10,000 years ago then we surey must be about to enter a new ice age. Since then we have improved our knowledge of Milankovitch cycles and past glacial cycles and know that a new ice age, all else being equal, is not due to start for another few thousand years. Moreover, even in the 60s and 70s, it was thought that increaining atmospheric CO2 levels might well prevent the then expected new ice age from starting,

At present, glacier and ice cap extent on Baffin Island is at it's lowest since before the Medieval Warm Period. Arctic sea ice summer extent is also at a long term minimum. Ice ages start with a growth in Baffin Island ice caps.....

The fact that it snows in winter does not mean we're entering a new ice age, any more than the fact we have the hottest summer on record means it will never snow again.

But there are some who would want you to think otherwise.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think we have been through this a few times already.
I found this doing a search here on ATS.
It goes on for 10 pages of links to "New ice age" topics

About 3,920 results (0.16 seconds)

Are we heading into a new Ice Age ?, page 1
Contrary to the conventional wisdom of the day, the real danger facing humanity is not global warming, but more likely the coming of a new Ice ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread925032/pg1

New Ice Age Movie Depicts 2012 Crustal Shift Scenario ! The Evil ...
New Ice Age Movie Depicts 2012 Crustal Shift Scenario ! The Evil Agenda Behind 2012., page 1. privacy. Pages: > ATS Members ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread647967/pg1
Russian scientist says New Ice Age 'to begin in 2014', page 1
Russian scientist says New Ice Age 'to begin in 2014', page 1. privacy. Pages: ATS Members have flagged this thread 7 times. Topic started on ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread573154/pg1
Here for the new Ice Age, page 1
Here for the new Ice Age, page 1. privacy. Pages: ATS Members have flagged this thread 4 times. Topic started on 21-12-2010 @ 03:36 PM by ATSCurious ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread642912/pg1
New ice age? Don't count on it, page 1
Telegraph: 10 reasons to be cheerful about the coming new Ice Age · Fox News: ... That isn't a new ice age: it's a slightly less severe heatwave.
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread717303/pg1
Confirmed: ice age has already started - the shocking evidence ...
and to anybody skeptical of it, what good will your skepticism do when europe is frozen over... a new ice age is almost here -- deal with it!
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread637636/pg1
New Ice Age 'to begin in 2014, page 1
New Ice Age 'to begin in 2014. www.wnd.com. A new "Little Ice Age" could begin in just four years, predicted Habibullo Abdussamatov, the ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread573017/pg1
Woolly rhinos and the Ice Age, New Find!, page 1
I guess now 20th Century Fox needs to come out with a New Ice Age Movie, Not only featuring a Woolly Mammoth and his side kicks but also a ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread748112/pg1
Does this mean the start of a new Ice Age?, page 1
Does this mean the start of a new Ice Age?, page 1. privacy. Pages: ATS Members have flagged this thread 2 times. Topic started on 24-2-2012 @ 12:59 PM by ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread812889/pg1
New Ice Age coming?, page 1
New Ice Age coming?, page 1. privacy. Pages: ATS Members have flagged this thread 0 times. Topic started on 19-7-2003 @ 12:41 AM by j619pinoy ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread13136/pg1

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
We are just messing up the magnetic field with all the mining. We will be having a lot of bad weather through the belly of the country and unusual weather patterns all over the world because of this. It's not something that I worry about because I live in an area that will benefit from this stupidity. I feel bad for all the other people that are going to be effected. Well, not really.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
This winter have been one of the worst in term of precipitation and very cold temperature
many in the north hemisphere will agree with me on that

I'll have to disagree with that. Last winter was the warmest ever on record since records began. This years winter has been another mild winter, but not quite as mild as last year. Temperatures are still averaging above normal with below normal snowfall.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
btw the other thing to consider, particularly with regards the image posted by the OP - and I appreciated many people will not be aware of this - is that .....................................

.......................... winter happens every year!!!!!!

Honest! It's not an Illuminati con. It really does happen ever year

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

If climate change is real,there may be more to it than C02.

I said may Phage

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Global warming is causing the ice sheet and glaciers to melt.
The fresh water runs into the ocean wich then disrupts the ocean currents such as the Gulf Stream.
The slowed ocean currents cause the climate to chill causing a mini ice age.
I first heard about the gulf stream slowing a few years ago.
While some parts of the world will become hotter and dryer the Norther hemisphere will freeze.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well...i'm in Southern Cali, and yesterday it would rain for 5 minutes, then stop; then rain again, then stop. Then, at night, it would rain, stop; rain, stop; SLEET, stop; rain, rain, rain. When i first moved here, 15 years ago...it was hot, hot, hot with very little rain. Not sure what's going on...but something is happening.

It's also no coincidence that every time those planes, leaving long "lingering contrails"
come out, the weather changes. Not sure what that's all about, but

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
global warming causes climate change. the polar ice caps melt, and the ocean currents change due to different salinity levels and temps. this has effects on the jets streams

this causes some areas to get different patterns

it also puts more energy and moisture in the atmosphere

one concern for global warming is a european ice age, for example

so global warming doesn't mean the whole planet gets warmer

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join