It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McGinn: Seattle police ending its unmanned drone program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

McGinn: Seattle police ending its unmanned drone program

www.king5.com

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn announced Thursday that the police department has ended its unmanned drone program.

"Today I spoke with Seattle Police Chief John Diaz and we agreed that it was time to end the unmanned aerial vehicle program, so that SPD can focus its resources on public safety and the community building work that is the department's priority. The vehicles will be returned to the vendor," McGinn said in a released statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Well this is an interesting turn of events and good news in the current state of affairs we live in I suppose. Perhaps various PTB are realizing that a police state isn't all that.

AND...doing so to "focus its resources on public safety and the community building work"

I must say I am impressed by this Mayor's decision. Although...

The Seattle Police Department is one of 50 organizations that received permission last year from the federal government to operate unmanned aerial vehicles, also known as drones.

...this is only one of the 50 approved by the fed, but perhaps this will become a trend among the other 49 and other municipalities that may be given the federal green light in the future.

www.king5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I applaud the Mayor for his sensible decision in this matter. I think he may have an inkling, those drones have strings directly tied to our marionette president......

Good Find Uber...

Des

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
With how rare good news is these days, it's nice to read something like this every once in a while. Good find!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Good for Mayor McCheese.

I don't think he cares one way or the other about the privacy implications... it was likely budget related.

Even so, I'm glad to see it have a lower priority

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Very happy to hear something finally positive within the negative. Hopfully it can just set the path for others places to go ahead and end their unmanned drone programs too!
edit on 7-2-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

edit on 7-2-2013 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)
explains why i felt watched while in seattle on holiday last year. would have mooned a drone if i saw one... peekaboo!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
My guess is that since the state of Washington recently legalized a formerly unlawful substance they don't need the DHS/DEA funded drones to assist in their revenue generation efforts any longer. Just my 2 cents.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is good to hear. Maybe everyone else will follow suit. (I won't hold my breath)

The drones are turning this country into a bigger, more expensive, and technological police state...It will only get worse...

Sorry to be so negitive but I see the world for what it is. Star and flag.

-SAP-
edit on 7-2-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is wonderful news! I'm glad that a government official finally listened to the people.

Just a few days ago I was reading on the Seattle PI site an article praising their unarmed drone program and how they are for "keeping the peace" only. The comments were not happy about it, especially due to the fact anyone can now legally be killed by a drone.

I'm going to try to find the article.

Edit: Can't find the specific article I read, too much of this good news is being reported. I'm also thinking that it might not have been from the PI.
edit on 7-2-2013 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Breath of fresh air, thanx for that Seattle

edit on 8-2-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Cities that are bankrupt continue to find Billions nation wide to fund Drones.

If they didn't waste Billions on drones nation wide there would be tens of thousands of jobs available. If not more.

The Drones were wanted by the ruling mafia families to keep their positions and target those other Americans who are a threat to them. Since they've killed them off......no more need for them right now.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Cities that are bankrupt continue to find Billions nation wide to fund Drones.

Yeah, I believe Sheriff Grady Judd out of Polk County Florida (he's pretty well known) was one of the 50 approved by the fed. Knowing his methodology, I don't think he would be so quick to give this resource up.

Likely, there are others within the 50 that share his sentiment. But, this one instance does give one a little hope.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Good for Mayor McCheese.

I don't think he cares one way or the other about the privacy implications... it was likely budget related.

Even so, I'm glad to see it have a lower priority

Agreed. However, I'd love to see a cost analysis comparing it to having a helicopter and pilot. Newer software and optics also enable a single drone to spot a 6" object in a 15 mile search area at one time...which is pretty impressive compared to the human eye and a helicopter, or even a helicopter with optics. I get the whole privacy thing, but in the end, I think it will all come down to the bottom line versus such concerns. (at least until one crashes and kills a kid, causing a public uproar and ban).

Yeah, I believe Sheriff Grady Judd out of Polk County Florida (he's pretty well known) was one of the 50 approved by the fed. Knowing his methodology, I don't think he would be so quick to give this resource up.

He's in my neighboring county, and he's a real grandstander alright. He just can't go two weeks without getting his face on the news..... He also has a knack for his crackdowns on the relatively minor problems of weed or even synthetic weed, vs. hardcore drugs or more serious criminal activity. Talk about your waste of resources.
edit on 12-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Interesting to find out that the program was run by grants we all know that this is private interest money if I am not mistaken, the people that invested in this program will not get a penny back.

I believe that while this drones are unmanned they are still quite expensive to operate.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Agreed. However, I'd love to see a cost analysis comparing it to having a helicopter and pilot.

The cost is exactly what currently protects privacy. It would cost way too much to have enough helicopters to keep an eye on my backyard to make sure I don't have an illegal fire pit to roast marshmallows. Now, I know that's an extreme example and that there are probably some acceptable uses for drones to catch real bad guys, it's just that I don't like the technology-creep implications involved with using them. They could become like traffic light cameras, only flying over your neighborhood to "protect your safety".

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Update:

Wash. state bill to limit drone use passes committee

Bi-partisan legislation to limit drone use within Washington state was approved Thursday 9-1 after a large group of people, from regular citizens to a former F.B.I. employee, came to show and voice their support.
Source

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Some of the guidelines in the bill state that any government group within Washington must get permission and be approved before even acquiring a drone. No personal information can be collected on an individual or area other than the target that justified the issuance of a search warrant.

Amen to that.

top topics

join