It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA Great Central US Shakeout Drill....tomorrow 2/7/13

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So with all the EQ news going on I wonder if this shakeout drill will be a prelude to an actual event. I seem to recall that these drills happen right around a big EQ? Wasn't the last one when the big EQ hit Mexico?

I will be interested to see if anything big does happen, or at least bigger than the 8.0 in the Pacific last night.

Any thoughts, or is anyone here participating?

FEMA News Releases

Links to different states participating on page.

Being Central US it does have me wondering....

My hometown:

Release date: FEBRUARY 5, 2013
Release Number: RIV-13-01
ATLANTA – In two days, more than 2.5 million people are expected to participate in the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut earthquake drill.

The ShakeOut will be held Thursday, February 7 at 10:15 a.m. local time. It is a multi-state earthquake drill for millions of people to simultaneously practice the recommended response to earthquake shaking.

edit on 2/6/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Then there is the other more ominous quote from the same news release by FEMA:

Thursday’s drill marks the anniversary of the last of the powerful New Madrid earthquakes, a series of at least three magnitude 7-8.0 quakes that struck in the winter of 1811-12 and affected many parts of this region. If it happened today, an earthquake would cause injury and loss of life, and widespread damage and disruption to the nation’s economy and built environment.

Now why include that in the drill announcement? Guess we will find out if history repeats itself in a natural disaster sense.

Here's to hoping all these EQ prediction threads with researchers saying they are feeling something bigger coming are incorrect.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I`ll be doing the drill here in Arkansas.

The first time I thought it was a waste of time til I actually did it. When I was under my desk in my studio I saw lots of things in my space that needed "quake improvement". I`m glad I did.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Massacres have a way of happening in America at the same time as 'drills', don't they? Sort of like domestic "false flags"

Does anyone have a list of examples where a drill in the USA was associated with a real event happening around the same time?

I would, but I'm a newb.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tropic

Quite a few, actually.

"If you don't like the problems we create, wait until you see our solutions."
-Gubment.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tropic

9/11 when the towers went down, the govt was running Operation Northern Vigilance...the military jets thought the attack was part of the drill so they stood down.

911review.com...

edit on 6-2-2013 by summerbreeze.ddp because: added a link

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Slightly off subject but I got a recorded call today letting me know that the Code Red system was up and would notify in case of emergency. I guess in case of catastrophic events they will call and let us know.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
Slightly off subject but I got a recorded call today letting me know that the Code Red system was up and would notify in case of emergency. I guess in case of catastrophic events they will call and let us know.

Well....that is interesting. So there is a Shakeout Drill and they are notifying citizens of emergency notifications being at the ready the day before. Gotta love coincidences! Wonder how the notifications work in case of a massive natural disaster that would knock out all infrastructure in a large area?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Every time anybody does anything about the New Madrid there are people wondering if "they" are going to make something happen. The paranoia is amusing. Two years ago "HAARP" was going to be used.....and nothing happened. Or has happened since. Why? Because no one can forecast or create an earthquake.
Considering how many people believe conspiracies are also really into preparedness I've always laughed. So you should be prepared for TSHTF, but if someone tells you to, it's a bad thing? Suppose they did not find the flaws in the system (which is what these drills are for) and the New Madrid Big One happened. We would be drowning in sorrow about the people who couldn't get food/shelter/water/medical care/whatever and wondering why "they" (meaning the US Govt.) weren't prepared and able to assist.
It gets really old. Make up your minds......

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonlover12
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I`ll be doing the drill here in Arkansas.

The first time I thought it was a waste of time til I actually did it. When I was under my desk in my studio I saw lots of things in my space that needed "quake improvement". I`m glad I did.

Did you find that you needed a new vacuum when you were down there?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

As a matter of fact, I discovered several missing parts that went to a dollhouse I was working on. That was a good thing!

But I also discovered there were lots of items that could fall between that desk and the front door that needed securing. Sometimes its a good idea to look at things from a different level, just to be safe.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

If we had a quake here, the house would be a mess. Just in the computer room we have fourteen pictures, a clock, and a calender hanging on the walls. There is all kinds of neat junk on top of things in here also, nothing is set up for a quake. We must have fifty pictures throughout the house hanging on the walls. None of them are valuable but over half of them have glass. Our diningroom has a bunch of crystal stuff the wife collected on the piano and the cabinets. Even though it is not expensive it is glass and glass breaks when it falls. My pantry area has cans on the shelf that are piled two high. These cans would fall and dent if something were to shake us. Houses up here are built to withstand snow on the roof, not to withstand earthquakes. There hasn't been an earthquake here in a long time but that is not a guarantee that we won't have one. Shaking from the blasting at the mine six miles away rumbles the walls and makes the pictures crooked. That is like a 1.2 quake but no where near a 5.0. Bigger quakes make things sway and move things around.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
FEMA also released this doc this month. Guess it is in preparation for the ShakeOut Drill tomorrow...

FEMA Doc

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
ShakeOut Day is here!

There is broad agreement in the scientific community that a continuing concern exists for a major destructive earthquake in the New Madrid seismic zone, which covers the Central U.S. Many structures in Memphis, Tenn., St. Louis, Mo., and other communities in the central Mississippi River Valley region are said to be vulnerable and at risk from severe ground shaking. The assessment is based on decades of research on New Madrid earthquakes and related phenomena by dozens of federal, university, state, and consulting earth scientists

I love that the reporting includes these snippets of info.

And remember, today is the anniversary:

New Madrid Quake

February 7, 1812, 0945 UTC (4:45 a.m.); (M ~7.4–8.0[2]) epicenter near New Madrid, Missouri. New Madrid was destroyed. At St. Louis, Missouri, many houses were severely damaged, and their chimneys were toppled. This shock was definitively attributed to the Reelfoot Fault by Johnston and Schweig. Uplift along a segment of this reverse fault created temporary waterfalls on the Mississippi at Kentucky Bend, created waves that propagated upstream, and caused the formation of Reelfoot Lake by obstructing streams in what is now Lake County, Tennessee.

new topics

top topics

join