It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did they know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
How does a creature as simple as an insect who is the only species that breeds once. And conceives the rest of it's life.

How did it know that a sperm sample from a male would have so many sperm cells in it that it could use it to lay eggs it's entire life?

How long has mankind known the sperm count of a sperm sample?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by XsweetNspiceyX

Define "knowing". I doubt that there is a sentient process like knowing and planning happening in that insects' brain.

I would say that instincts are working, which did evolve over hundreds of thousands of years, at least.
It is "more efficient" to copulate once, then live in a hive for the rest of her lifetime and breed. For the act of copulation, you clearly need to find partners, the more diversified the better. So, you as a female insect-queen have to LEAVE the security of your hive to find new partners - every week? That would be an enormous risk to be eaten by birds, etc.

Therefore, once seminated the queen may live in security in the depths of the hive.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Evolution explains long necks (giraffes), Hard shells (Armadillos) It does not however explain knowing that it can breed once and have enough sperm to last a lifetime.

If your thesis was true it wouldn't be just insects.
edit on 6-2-2013 by XsweetNspiceyX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

what in the world are you talking about? many insects can breed as many times as they want to!
stick insects can even reproduce without mating, they produce clones of themselves,
however, scorpions, that are not insects can only mate once, and produce offspring many times,
but even they choose to mate many times for gene diversity......

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I dont know about sperm... But did you know insects grew from plants? Weird right! aha.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

Your right you don't know what I'm talking about!

Why are insects the only species on the planet that takes male sperm once and never need to breed again.

Please tell me 1 mammal and 1 reptile 1 bird 1 amphibian that does this heck tell me 1 fish!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

i think there may be a language barrier on my behalf,, at least i hope so..
humans,, can we have many children from a single swimmer?
i have bred frogs among many other creatures, they cant store sperm, they need to mate.
praying mantis, also can make many ootheca, but they are infertile without the male,
lizards, there arent many lizard species that can have offspring without males they are clones too,
but nearly all of them cant reproduce, unless they mate, every single time...
edit on 6-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I think you have misunderstood how biology and evolution works.

There doesn't have to be any mammal, fish, bird, reptile or other, for there to be insects with these features. We didn't evolve it, they did. It's like asking why a sheep doesn't have wings or a bird doesn't have arms.

And they wouldn't have to know anything. How do you know when to go to the bathroom? Your body tells you. I am sure they just act on instinct, and if the case is that they only mate ones, but keep breeding throughout their lives, then that is just how they evolved and there is no need for cognative abilities for it to work.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

Knowing that a male has enough sperm in 1 sample to fertilize eggs for a lifetime is not instincts or adapting for protection or for capturing prey.

Think about it! Were not talking about regular obvious hey it evolved a shell to hide from predators haha haha.

Were talking scientific micro biology.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

even if one sample has a billion possibilities doesnt mean that there is going to be a billion creatures,
you have got some very basic stuff extremely wrong, sorry,,,

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

This one is easy. Obviously insects are one of the first species to walk on land besides amphibians atleast here on Earth.

I have no problem accepting that this is probably true in most occasions on other planets. And if this is true. That means alot of the planets that first harbored life when our universe was young.

Would mean that the intelligent designer of this reality would have walked as an insect before any other species. Thus would have communicated the simple truth that males carry enough sperm to last a lifetime.

Since insects do the most important jobs on a planet. And since they are so small there numbers are so important. Because of this a queen has to sacrifice her whole entire life to making sure the hive keeps it's numbers.

And that means laying eggs for a lifetime. This also means that god walks as every species and through this teaches every species what it needs to survive.

Simple.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve

even if one sample has a billion possibilities doesnt mean that there is going to be a billion creatures,
you have got some very basic stuff extremely wrong, sorry,,,

Please quote and or point out the statement I made where I led on to this assumption!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

oh my sweet lord cthulhu... ants and bees sometimes mate, sometimes not, most of them are CLONES!
the queen bee is made when a larvae is fed "royal gelly" this is acts as a dna accelerator, they are wery different from the clones, they have the same dna, but most parts of it isnt active,
for example the reproduction sequence.
yog sothot man.....
we probably realized that sperm can produce more than one offspring when some one had the first set of twins.
sperm count is that high becouse reproduction isa "hit and miss" game.

top topics

join