It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas to allow concealed guns in churches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hi sry if this has been posted I did a search

With all this gun control bs everywhere ,states passing stricter gun control laws, people panicking every time someones sees someone with a gun.

Im glad to see a state saying we need more guns. Akansas just moved up on my list of favorite states

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

The Arkansas House of Representatives has overwhelmingly passed a measure that would allow concealed guns to be carried in churches and houses of worship, and the governor’s office says it plans to sign the bill.

The measure, which passed 85-8 on Monday, gives houses of worship the option of allowing concealed weapons.

Passed by the state Senate in an equally lopsided 28-4 vote last week, the bill states it is “immediately necessary for the preservation of the public peace, health, and safety” because “personal security is increasingly important

edit on 5-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well good news but it seems a bit discrimatory to only allow them in places of worship.

Certainly they are in no more danger than say a Wal-mart employee is.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
ok, so let me get this straight to get your CC license you first must pass a background test and a skills test correct? So what is the big deal about being able to take your firearm into a church or place of worship?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

You're absolutely correct. You must pass the criminal background check and it goes much further in the process than the buy-check with NICS.

The reason Arkansas had to pass this (and Missouri has indicated they'll likely follow) is that up to now, Churches have been among the locations forbidden to have CCW carry on the premises. Like a bar, school or gated amusement park.

This now lets the Pastor or Church leadership decide if THEY want to allow carry inside or perhaps just allow a few to carry as unpaid, volunteer security of sorts. Plenty of people will likely pursue this in their individual houses of Worship and good for them to have the option.

I also DO agree with it being an OPTION for the Church and not a change in law to allow carry inside with or without the permission of the Church itself. Up to now though? They couldn't allow it even if they wanted to. There have been a number of church shootings over the years where they were ducks in a gallery because of this law.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You are correct it will now officially be legal to carry a fire arm into a church, but at least from where i am from you could bring one in legal or not with the permission of the priest, pastor, rabbi, or what have you. I personally just dont understand why this is news, now when they open it up in all locations to those who have passed the proper inspections and test that will be news but until then its just pissing in the wind, in my opinion but at least it is a start down the right path.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't think people need guns in church. If anything have the minister carry one, that will keep the church goers on their toes during sermons.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Guns in church now too ?
Really ?!

Even back in the days of the wild west some form of gun control was eventually put into place out of necessity for the safety of its citizens against drunken shootout brawls and such.

You had to check your firearms at the door before entering any public place, let alone a place of worship... In fact, most frontier towns made you check your guns at the stables outside of town before you could even enter, only town sheriffs were allowed to carry firearms in public.

Of course Hollywood completely ignores that little tidbit of historical fact.

Fact versus fiction:

Dodge City:

Ordinance No. 67 enacted August 14th 1882 specified that no one could “carry concealed or otherwise about his or her person, any pistol, bowie knife, slung shot or other dangerous or deadly weapons, except County, City, or United Sates Officers” and raised the fine from twenty-five dollars to one hundred dollars, no small amount in 1882.

The Dodge City Times declared: “There is a disposition to do away with the carrying of firearms, and we hope the feeling will become general. The carrying of firearms is a barbarous custom, and it’s time the practice was broken up.”

Tombstone:

In 1881 the town council passed an ordinance prohibiting the carrying of weapons in the town limits:

Ordinance No. 9 “To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons” (effective April 19, 1881).

Section 1: “It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone.

Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon.

Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance.”

Link

Jesus and John Wayne must be rolling in their graves right about now...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

You are correct in the "wild wild west" people were required to leave there fire arms and weapons as they entered town, with that being said criminals would still carry the weapons into town and when all hell would break lose the sheriff or marshal had every right and authority to shoot said law breaker dead, correct? We as a society will not allow our law officials to have that right nor should we, but as criminals become more daring and the crimes become more heinous why not give the people the right and privelage to protect themselves?

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Here is another historical fact from the old west most people didn't know how to read hence they did not even know what the contsittution was or what the second amendment said.

But those "lawmen" sure did those who wrote those ordinances sure did.

As to concealed carry in a church never felt the need, but others can do what they wish even in the old west guns were carried in to churches.
edit on 5-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Chris Morris also did a parody of this in the nineties.

Unbelievable that what started off as a humorous observation of Americanised culture is now turning into reality.

Well, humorous if it wasn't so frightening.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I don't think people need guns in church. If anything have the minister carry one, that will keep the church goers on their toes during sermons.

This is doing the next best thing. It's allowing the Pastor or Minister to permit it, again, if they choose that it be allowed in their Sanctuary. If not? Nothing has changed as I read this and as it was reported all over our local news last night.

The idea that only the Pastor or Minister be allowed to carry by LAW is absurd though. Does anyone really want to put their Pastor in the position of taking life to save it? I KNOW some can and if forced, WILL. However, at what price to them? Here...they can, if they choose, tell ex-cops, military or others that they are welcome to carry their weapons.

This wouldn't BE an issue if some whack jobs didn't make Churches a target for mass murder. It's been awhile so some seem to forget entirely that it happens. It does though and when it does, it's beyond tragic. Arkansas didn't see the need to continue forcing Churches to be a safe working environment for murderers. I say I can't wait for Missouri to follow suit with the exemption.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I was under the impression that concealed weapons were already allowed in churches if they permitted it? So what was the point of this legislation?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

It's taking away the "if they permit it" part I think.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

It's taking away the "if they permit it" part I think.

But then there's this part of the legislation:

The measure, which passed 85-8 on Monday, gives houses of worship the option of allowing concealed weapons.

From my understanding, concealed weapons carry laws allow individuals to carry concealed weapons in public (some laws allow so without the need for permits), the public include various places that may permit concealed weapons like churches. So I still don't understand what the point of this was?

I'm looking up Arkansas concealed weapons laws now to see where churches were specifically excluded as places permitted to allow concealed carry prior.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Ok, I found a source where it stated that churches were excluded:

A license does not authorize any person to carry a concealed handgun into:

Any police station.
Any Arkansas Highway Police facility.
Any buildings of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, or onto any parking lots or grounds adjacent to such buildings.
Any detention facility, courthouse or courtroom.
Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
Any school or college or event unless for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms-related activity.
Any polling place, meeting of a governmental body, state office building, place of worship, airport terminal or where prohibited by federal law.

crime.about.com...

Which is very interesting, as I assumed concealed weapons carry essentially granted you rights into even these areas. Considering that Arkansas is one of those very conservative states, it's a surprise to me that they hold these exclusions.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Yeah, I just read the bill itself, it's pretty short, and does seem to let the church decide. Whereas before, it was prohibited altogether

Source

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Nvm
edit on 5-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Well good for Arkansas. I can't wait to see how this works out for them.

The first time a Minister is shot and killed they'll just up the ante and make it a law you have to carry a gun - can't come to church without a gun. All the while thinking more guns is the answer to violence.

Our virtues are fading into distant history and being one by one - replaced with our vices.
edit on 6-2-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Yeah, I just read the bill itself, it's pretty short, and does seem to let the church decide. Whereas before, it was prohibited altogether

Source

It is a short hop and only a matter of time before they make it a law that people HAVE to carry one. Our problem is we have lost sight of and often switched completely that which is simply allowed or permitted (but not desirable en mass) and that which is encouraged, fostered and actually desirable because it makes your town a better place to live.

We have got rid of most of those things which should have been encouraged - music, art, libraries and gym practice and brought into the mainstream that which was allowed only if someone insisted on doing it, i.e. guns, strip clubs, gambling. Those are the things that identify us now as a country.

edit on 6-2-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I think you might be the first person i have heard of that wasn't afraid of them taking our guns but forcing us to carry one... interesting

new topics

top topics

join