It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New country music is fake, the singers dont really have that twang.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
For the record, Im sure all music has a level of fake to it. Recently I heard a country song at the gas station and the lyrics were insulting people who sing with a british accent who dont really have one. My response to that would be:KEITH URBAN, an Australian who sings country music with a twang. Then a week later I unfortunately was in a restaurant and the lyrics were about laughing at a girl for dancing to Purple Rain. I dont understand the need to talk that junk in lyrics, I dont recall any alternative rock bands talking junk about red neck illiterate simpletons that laugh at the dumb silly lyrics in country music, haha trailors are so funny, haa ha divorce, being broke and sissy boys. My good friend recently became obsessed with it, whenever he plays it ,it reminds me of the hicks out in the country praising the sand people on sundays which they despise in modern times. Dont get me wrong, all hicks arent bad , some are surprisingly funny and good people, my beef is with the direction of country music. When I was a kid, country players were really good, like Roy Clark and Chet Atkins,who were amazing, now we have a bunch of fake accent city boys and foreigners. Yes I said foreigners, because the country twang accent is inherent of the U.S. and U.S. only. I am from the south, ALL the rumors are true and yes people speak like that. Fortunately for me on the coast i am mixed in pretty well with different accents ,so mine cant be identified.The western country accent is different, I like it better, not so broke and cry cry. I just felt like complaining because a style of music that i dont even care for, but has its own beautiful past, has become so mainstream that people are buying into imitators and impersonators. Like I said, Im from the south and I am oh so very familiar with that twangy southern accent,,where people REALLY say things like : Up air where we from, wudder instead of water, down yonder, instead of siren its sighreen,aint no tellin, dog on it instead of damnit. Im sure some of those guys are real deal so Im not talking about them. Fakin Jamaican white guys are just as bad.
edit on 4-2-2013 by jazztrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I blame Metallica, in particularly James Hetfield for bring country music to those who would not have otherwise heard it.

As soon as 'tallica started singing country and western songs back in the day, it was all down hill. Gone was Metal Up Your Ass, and in was Mama Said... Son, your life's an open book, don't close it till it's done.

So I said, Bye ya'll, I'll be seein' ya'll..

never to look back..

Now I'm all about promiscuous mothers with their incestuous fathers... On and on, south of heaven, dun dun dun da daaa.. (*air guitar noises*)

grrrrrr..

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jazztrance

I don't like the "new" country music either. Give me some Merle Haggard and George Jones, Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline over this newer stuff anyday! The majority of the newer country music sounds like something they should be playing on a pop music station.

edit on 4-2-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
David Allan Coe, now here's a real country song.

edit on 4-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I was never a big fan of country till I got older,and yearning for the days of riding in the car with mom and dad on a sunday drive to nowhere with the radio blaring Hank Williams and the rest.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Seen it coming for years. They had to start dumbing down every genre. Country started getting popular with all my friends I knew it was in trouble. Now I just listen to sports talk radio, CD's or iPod. Radio=
here's one of my faves

edit on 4-2-2013 by DIRTYDONKEY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Have any of you searched out some of the country music, or any of the "dumb downed genres", that they DONT play on the radio?

I bet if you did you would be surprised. But you are too lazy to actually discover something knew.

edit on 5-2-2013 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Some folks say country went to hell when Chet Atkins invented the Nashville sound. Been slidin' downhill ever seance. Sorry, since.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Country music is now just pop music. In order to get into mainstream, that is the way they had to go.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jazztrance

Shows what you all know about the singers you think are "real" country singers. By that, I am using your logic that anyone not born in the southern US isn't real country. Well, one of you posted that Merle Haggard is real country and I guess has a "real" twang...... he's from Bakersfield, California. Then someone said "David Allan Coe is real country"..... he is from Akron, Ohio. Patsy Cline was from Virginia, I've lived there and I hardly consider it "the south." Very VERY few people have a southern accent and I lived in Southern Virginia. Roy Rogers.... Cincinnati, Ohio. 2 of the Oakridge Boys are from Philadelphia and New Jersey. The Statler Brothers were from Virginia. So where you're from is insignificant to be a staple in country music. While I'll agree most of the stuff out today is more pop than country, at least we have Eric Church. Then again there are always going to be those people who just constantly bi--h about today's music for the sake of being viewed as a "real" country fan, whatever that means. It's a perpetual argument that will never go away. People in the present always dog the current music, then in like 20 years they'll be like, "Man, today's music sucks. Remember 20 years ago, that was great music." So if you're going to whine about todays music and call it fake because they use fake accents, make sure you know where your "real" country singers are from. California and especially Ohio aren't associated with your typical southern accent. So does that make Merle Haggard and David Allan Coe fake? You can be country pretty much anywhere IMO. Have you ever been to Norther New York? That's more country than Nashville IMO. I'm from Illinois and lived about 45 minutes south of Chicago my whole life. I also lived on a farm bailing hay and slaughtering cows. How much more country is that. People can be from the south and have the southern twang in their voice, but have never actually lived in the country. Heck, most country singers from the south fit that scenario... never actually worked on a farm in their life. Just because someone has a southern accent doesn't make them country... it makes them southern. My ex-girlfriend is from Georgia, she loves country music but is the farthest thing from country IMO. Grew up her whole life in the suburbs with her rich parents in their 5,000 sq ft house. Country music isn't about "southern twang" it is a state of mind and a lifestyle. What I hate about most current country music is that it is all pretty much the same song with slightly different words; singing about beer, tractors, partying, dogs, girlfriends, and cheating men (from the ladies). That's about it. Very little substance. Why? Because most of these singers who are from the South never really grew up in the country and don't know the first thing of the actual country lifestyle. They just think of something that sounds like it would be a country thing and sing about it.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by klbxl

For those who have lost what a real country song sounds like:

Never mind, Youtube wont allow embedding- dirty rats!
edit on 15-4-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

join