It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for the Macho Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Greetings, Macho Men!

I have a question that I've wanted to ask for quite some time.

Why do some men, when insulting other men, call them "ladies" or other feminine names?

Is it that the idea of being female is so repugnant, or am I reading way to much into it?

"You fight like a girl."

"You throw like a girl."

Or all the army shows, when making fun of new recruits, calling them ladies. That's Hollywood, of course, but do you guys do it in real life? And if so, why?

This is meant as a light hearted thread, but I do want to know the answer.

Thanks,
smylee (who does everything like a girl)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

It refers to the weaker sex of course, but I think you knew that already. Isn't it obvious?

Not all ladies "pack beef" like you do.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Sorry, I am excluded from answering. I am not a macho man.

Ima stud.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

In general loose terms here,

Men (guys) have somewhat of a harsh method of showing affection to one they consider a friend.

Like a punch in the arm, or a shove, and calling them a feminine term like, wussy (in keeping things clean), and then laugh or smile and get back to playing basketball or shooting cans off a fence post and so on.

Likewise, in training a group of men, they will call them feminine names not only to make them push themselves harder but also to make sure they have checked their ego at the door because they are not worthy of a serious compliment until they earn it by achievement.

When seriously insulting another, the feminine term insults are gauntlets thrown to insinuate that he is 'weak' and not masculine, (tough, strong etc), enough to be given any regard as a competent 'alpha'. Insulting a man's masculinity is the quickest way to establish that if the one doing the insulting can put his money where his mouth is should the one being insulted engage and win the confrontation verbally or physically.

It's usually not until they get drunk, and have been friends long enough, that they will say "I love you maaan".

Personally, I prefer a more refined approach

edit on 3-2-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't really consider myself a macho man but I have resorted to insults like your examples when I want to try to get a rise from someone who does not seem to be giving there all. Sometimes the only way to get someone moving or give there very best is to make them angry.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
effeminate men have been looked down upon for generations, its why its an insult.

much Like calling someone "Gay" can still be used as an insult, I like Louis C.K.'s take on it, it has nothing to do with the group you call someone by, but more the behavior of it.

Calling someone retarded is not meant to insult the people that are retarded, simply inference that their behavior is lacking in intelligence. Insensitive yes, but has nothing to do with people who are actually mentally disabled.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

"You fight like a girl."

It isn't all girls, but if you were to conduct an experiment, The results would most likely answer this question for you, rather easily.

Let's just say that you went to a busy mall, and picked out 100 different random people.
50 male and 50 female.
Then give each of them a baseball, and a target, and 1 throw only.

Just to take a guess, the results would probably end up being something around:
35 females that throw like girls.
&
15 males that throw like girls.

Those girly throws will be more of a high arching lob through the air, and probably far from the target.
The non-girlish throws would be harder faster more direct throws, and at least in the general direction of the target.

There's even a possibility that just a couple of the throws won't even go in the right direction. Those are always the best to watch though. lol

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Great question, and a really important one.

I've been taking some courses in gender studies lately and what you refer to is studied in detail in the higher academic society today.
I'd recommend you too to take a course in it, it is really intriguing (and sometimes quite sad).

I don't really have the energy to give any lectures here and now, but still, it is always better for you to find out about it yourself

Personally I think the answer is: because it is a lame and ignorant way to perceive the world. Men thinks that they are better than women for whatever stupid reason everyone already forgot. Maybe it's not any more exciting than that

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I think its self explanatory, OP just wanted to subtly bring up the feminists topic

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
first thing that came to mind was a thread on randy savage(MACHO MAN...WWF) but hes no longer with us r.i.p.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
I think its self explanatory, OP just wanted to subtly bring up the feminists topic

Nope, no agenda. I just wanted to hear it from the horses' mouth, so to speak.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I think it's just general ribbing in regards to a man's "manliness" so to speak. It doesn't really have much of a bearing on women at all. But you have to admit, men tend to do feats of strength, heavy labour and the like better than women, simply due to body structure. When we don't, or tend to fail at a feat we men should be able to do with ease, well it's kind of a free for all that person will cop it. Bringing their masculinity into disrepute just breeds competition, something all men take seriously (whether they admit to it openly or not).

That's why "Hold my beer and watch this!" are such famous last words among men...

These days I think men are expected to be strong silent types with rippling muscles, that aren't afraid to cry and at the the same time want to talk about their feelings. Frankly it's confusing as hell, but given half the chance to call one of my mates 'princess' or "soft touch', of course I will, despite the fact it's all just in fun.

Mind you, I have met some women over the years that'd put a man's set to shame...

edit on 4/2/2013 by 74Templar because: grammar

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyeinoz
first thing that came to mind was a thread on randy savage(MACHO MAN...WWF) but hes no longer with us r.i.p.

That's okay. I've been singing "macho macho man" ever since writing this post....

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I would'nt call me macho. I would class myself as a Southern Gentleman, who when given the chance would refrain from name calling. But if I had too, I could bring fourth a vile spew of derogatory remarks that would make your head spin.

But I'll stick with the Southern charm, it's been working for me for 50 yrs now.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm nothing but pure machismo. I sweat testosterone.

I'll tell ya the answer to your question after you head off to the kitchen and make me a sammich, little missy!

(real answer? Because thumping chests and flinging poo is unsanitary)

top topics

join