It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb People & Their Smart Phones

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I would contribute to the conversation but I really must update my facebook status on my Iphone and tell my 'friends' about my antics and what Im upto.
Bye

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
i actually think its very appropriate to pause a conversation to look something up your not sure of i actually encourage this its a learning experience for both parties (it allows for personal growth and is a good bonding experience)
as far as texting all the time and not watching where you are going yes that is ridiculous and needs to stop unless its actually important (its predominantly gossip and small talk though)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
i know what you mean.

i see teens at the movies and they are txting during the whole film that they just paid $7 for!?

ill be glad when a solar flare comes and sends us back to the stone age.
I am right with you bubb! Three words- EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse)! People would be walking around like zombies, not knowing how to $h!t in the toilet if they didn't have the tech! It's quite pathetic...!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracher999
wat a bull# tread is this you are all complaining about cellphones smartphones and # you wan to talk face to face why te hell do you all sitting and texting behind your pc pc s do kill social contact to get off your pcs and trow away your phones and kill yourself but com not complaining on a internet forum about texting wat are you doing richt now he hahahahaha i got you you are self stupit # off pleas

Congratulations! You've just displayed your own ignorance in front of everyone. This thread is not a complaint about cell phones and smartphones so much as it is a complaint about the stupid things people do with them. I thought the title clarified that before anyone even opened the thread.

I like technology just fine. But I don't like when people do stupid things with their phone--like..you know..endangering their lives and the lives of others. And most of the behavior being displayed by smart phone users is just plain disrespectful.

Nice try though.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable
They didn't spend YOUR money. They spent their OWN money... So how is YOUR problem exactly?

$150 is not a lot of money.

No, they didn't spend their OWN money. Their parents obviously dished out $150 dollars to spend some time with their kids and give them an opportunity to enjoy a great show.

To spend the show on the smartphone is just disrespectful to the person who bought the ticket for them.

If it's not a lot of money, I want you to give $150 dollars to the next homeless person you see. Make their day...after all, it ain't a lot of money, right? Would you consider it a waste of money?

Now do you see my dilemma of money being misappropriated?
edit on 4-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Those days of looking some one in the eye during a conversation is going, going, gone. Now a days the best you can hope for is that the top of their head is attractive.Because that's about all you get to see. Head down, thumbs in a whirlwind of activity. It's rude and annoying. I too am ready for the CME that puts us back to cans and string, I eat a lot of Progresso.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by EnoEht
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

glanced to my side and notice a young couple on what looks like a date..and they are both on their phones texting. LMAO smart phones have just about CRUSHED almost all forms of human to human interaction.

Yeah, isn't that something? I don't understand how people go out in public together just to engage themselves with their gadgets.

I'm not sure what's more pathetic--the fact that I can't get a date, or the fact that people play with their phones DURING a date

Isn't that the big debate though? Is social technology bringing us together or pulling us apart?...Sure, you can keep in touch with your uncle in Germany. But you distance yourself from your close friends and family. I'm in the crowd that doesn't want to be assimilated by the Borg...

Social technology is NOT bringing us together as families or communities. I'm sure someone will come along soon to disagree with me.
edit on 3-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

You need to get your butt to the Debate Forum, and get Fighter Status. Click the middle link in my sig for details. I would love to debate this topic, formally.

Those couples you see texting? They are sharing private information with one another. Social tech shortens the span. A few quick texts, and you know what is going on with your spouse, your kids, and your parents, as well as close friends. Texting is an INTIMATE form of communication, a few details sent until the next in person meeting.

I stress the need for everyone reading this to go visit the Debate Forum. It'll hone your critical thinking skills, and you'll be surprised at the friends you'll meet. Wouldn't it be nice to have a discussion without all the "noise"? You won't know what you are missing until you check it out.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
You need to get your butt to the Debate Forum, and get Fighter Status.

No thanks. I don't need to prove my point to anyone. I'm convinced of my opinion because of what I see in the field.

I observe. That's data.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm addicted to my smart phone just as the other stories have mentioned of people doing dumb things, ignoring or missing out in conversations and walking. But 90% of that is because I have access to ATS in my pocket. Never use it while driving though, but my gf gets infinitely mad at my obsessive useage of the phone.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Your loss.

When you think you "know it all", you are in a position where life serves you pincushions.

You can never learn too much, and your reticence denotes your age.

Best of luck, my friend, in all your endeavors.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSeaver

Connected to ATS 100% of the time, whether you are on the road or at home?

Win-Win Situation.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Your loss.

When you think you "know it all", you are in a position where life serves you pincushions.

No, I didn't say I know it all. There's a very good reason why I made the word "opinion" bold in my last response. That's because it's my opinion based on my observations, and not fact.

Please don't put words in my mouth...errr text in my thumbs.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
youd think with the amount of smart phones in really stupid peoples hands that the worlds average i.q would go up..

BOY, WERE WE $%^&ING WRONG

^^

Personally, I think its made society worse, nothing better than being out on a date or with a friends having dinner and they whip the phone out, its like why the $%^& did we even go out? Even worse when you are with younger people in the 20s, its like the entire American society has instantly turned, dumb blond
edit on 5-2-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracher999
wat a bull# tread is this you are all complaining about cellphones smartphones and # you wan to talk face to face why te hell do you all sitting and texting behind your pc pc s do kill social contact to get off your pcs and trow away your phones and kill yourself but com not complaining on a internet forum about texting wat are you doing richt now he hahahahaha i got you you are self stupit # off pleas

And you can tell this was probably posted FROM a cell phone lol

Anyhow, I love my iPhone, I used to carry my iPod and cell phone, but then decided to get this so I dont have to carry 2 devices. I don't text and drive, and if I get a call while driving, my car has that fancy Sync thing in it, so my calls are hands free.

By the way tracker, expect your postbto be either snipped or deleted with all your T&C VIOLATIONS

Sent from my ipad

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I am in college, and I cannot tell you how many times I have been nearly hit on the sidewalk due to others texting when driving. It is a good thing I do not use my phone when I am trying to get from point A to point B. The real war zone is the student union building, where during the busy lunch hour, students are glued to their phones. I swear, it is like navagating an obstacle course! I have a smart phone, but I mostly use it to contact family, as I go to school far away from home. It stays in my bag most of the day. It bugs me to no end when I see people texting in class. Really, the professors are intelligent, and can tell when you are texting, even the less tech savvy ones. I just do not understand how this concept fails to penetrate many of my peer's thick skulls.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KMTartist

It is clear you are a considerate person. I know what you mean about trying to get around campus in one piece due to the multitude of texters and browsers glued to their phones while walking about--they might as well be blindfolded.

I hated it in class lectures as well. I found it extremely distracting, and disrespectful to the instructor as well as the rest of the class.

Why even show up to class if you are going to play with your phone the whole time and not pay attention?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
edit on 5-2-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by Blahable
They didn't spend YOUR money. They spent their OWN money... So how is YOUR problem exactly?

$150 is not a lot of money.

No, they didn't spend their OWN money. Their parents obviously dished out $150 dollars to spend some time with their kids and give them an opportunity to enjoy a great show.

To spend the show on the smartphone is just disrespectful to the person who bought the ticket for them.

If it's not a lot of money, I want you to give $150 dollars to the next homeless person you see. Make their day...after all, it ain't a lot of money, right? Would you consider it a waste of money?

Now do you see my dilemma of money being misappropriated?
edit on 4-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

If the kids didn't buy the phones themselves those same parents knew the capabilities of smart phones. They didn't buy their kids a brick, a flip phone, or some other useless phone. Smartphones aren't a new technology now, they have been around for a few years. I doubt the parents would really care.

If they have kids $150, is not a lot, If they have their priorities straight are smart.

Why would I give more of my money I EARNED away?
The GOVERNMENT DOES THAT FOR ME!
I know this site is famous for having people who believe that people shouldn't have "too much money", and "working is slavery."

No $150 is not a lot..That's about 10-20 hours of work at minimum wage in some states? flipping burgers, cleaning.
Please....

edit on 5-2-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Pssh, I had my nose in a book long before anyone had their nose in a smart phone. But I've always been an introvert. I think smart phones are turning people into wannabe introverts. Posers.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I agree that people can do dumb things with smart phones. And you should be able to enjoy a concert without being distracted or annoyed by people playing with their phones.

Recently, I also went to a concert and the person I went with spent the entire time texting what song was currently being played and how it sounded. Why? Why go and then play with a phone the whole time the band was playing.

Also, it can be extremely irritating when people are holding up phones to film during a show. There used to be a time when this would not have been alright.
edit on 9-2-2013 by PacificBlue because: grammar

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join