It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Researchers Develop Goggles to Thwart Facial Recognition Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

This new technological development can disable facial recognition of photographed subjects only when photos are taken. It achieves this by the photographed person wearing a privacy visor that incorporates a near-infrared light source that affects only the camera and not people's vision. Besides being able to protect photographed subjects from the invasion of privacy resulting from the facial recognition functionality of SNSs, which has become a problem in recent years, this new technology is expected to enjoy extensive application in preventing the invasion of privacy of photographed subjects due to widespread use of augmented reality applications.
Source: National Institute of Informatics(NII) press release (PDF file)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ax510ca827.png[/atsimg]

I hear what you are thinking right now and I know, they are working on the look of them so they don't look quite so obvious, but it is a start. Basically, these goggles have near-infrared LEDs that disrupt the cameras ability to lock on to facial features. With the ever growing Mannequin cams, SNS, Drones, etc. Facial recognition is on the rise and this could be our first line of protecting ourselves from invasions of our privacy. The goggles do not effect the users sight which is a major plus and they are trying to make them a little more visually pleasing.

The estimated cost for the product, when released to the public at about $1 per pair and they are attempting to make them non-powered with light diffusion technologies and they are only part of the “drone-proof” clothing line they have planned.

“We are developing an improved version of the privacy visor without power supply consisting of transparent materials that reflect or absorb specific wavelength,” Echizen said.

Most amazing of all is that Echizen predicts the final product will be incredibly cheap, costing “around $1 per unit.”
Source
e dit on 2-2-2013 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Instead of wearing ridiculous goggles use make up and stuff to "change" their face.
edit on 2-2-2013 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Imagine walking through an airport terminal with those lights on, though. "Sir, can you turn your glasses off, and step over here. We are gonna do a random search, and please face the camera." XD

S&F

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mythfury
reply to post by Agarta

Imagine walking through an airport terminal with those lights on, though. "Sir, can you turn your glasses off, and step over here. We are gonna do a random search, and please face the camera." XD

S&F

You can't see infrared with your naked eye.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythfury

Yah I can see them telling you to take them off but on the up side the lights are not visible to the naked eye so at least they will work when you are permitted to wear them.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Instead of wearing ridiculous goggles on can us make up and stuff to "change" their face.

Make up wouldn't work, prosthetic might fake nose and such, most facial recognition goes off things like eye, ear, nose, mouth shape and correlation among those things to create a unique match.

Almost like a finger print, in order to defeat it you have to alter those attributes are like the goggles do blind the camera from taking those measurements
edit on 2-2-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Then just alter those. Dont see why you cant tape your ears or wear a hat.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I have done a lot of SFX masks and you are right there are ways around it, but who would really want to wear a full head mask all the time while in public. For one thing they are very hot and must be maintained every few hours or they begin to look like a mask and or separate from the skin. Spirit gum only goes so far. It would be easier to simply wear a ski mask and that just makes you look like you are up to no good. These goggles are simply a much easier and cheaper way of defeating the cameras.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Instead of wearing ridiculous goggles use make up and stuff to "change" their face.

actually they can tell by the eye color and distance between the eyes they thought about that before making the face recognition software. But the goggles make it so it cant image the face correctly rendering the software ineffective
edit on 2-2-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

The point is to NOT draw attention. Going around clearly wearing face distorting goggles is not exactly the definition of "Under the radar".

The goggles, at this point, are self defeating. No one is ignoring the guy wearing five pound goggles.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

actually they can tell by the eye color and distance between the eyes they thought about that before making the face recognition software.
edit on 2-2-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

I don't believe that.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

So if your walking with those on, with the lights on, and the airport security see's the light in their camera, you don't think they'll be like "Woah! Our software isn't working?" Must be that guys glasses light which we can see through our camera with Facial recognition software!"

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

But a great feat for japanese technology! Soon they'll have something else to beat it, maybe a contact lens that distorts color frequency as soon as it gets close, which is essentially the same concept of those glasses.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Agreed, and as both articles state they are working on the looks of them but at least they figured out how to beat the system, it's a start at the very least. With smaller glasses and harder to see LED surfaces this issue can be solved but the thing is, I think, is the lights appear to turn the shape of a nose into a triangle and at this point normal nose peices cant achieve the triangular shape in the lights.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Why not just wear sun glasses, im sure looking like an idiot may just appeal to some people though.

Personally im just a bit more practical I guess. I also don't see the threat of facial recognition.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Seriously, Come on. If it were that easy do you think they would spend all the money to make something that obviously stands out as a prototype? Do you seriously think that military and Governmental facial recognition is that basic and easily fooled?

I get that they look funny at this point in their creation, but as a business owner I sure as heck would not spend the money to create something way out there when simple glasses would do the job.
edit on 2-2-2013 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Okay. Think of a regular camera, and how it can detect your face. That's the recognition software they are talking of. It puts that box around your head, so glasses, don't do the same thing. They are working on being able to mess up cameras software. Think about the future, how much they could mess up satellites, especially the Argus 1.8 gigapixel. (search that on ATS, if you havent seen it)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Seriously, Come on. If it were that easy do you think they would spend all the money to make something that obviously stands out as a prototype? Do you seriously think that military and Governmental facial recognition is that basic and easily fooled?

Yes I do, prove me wrong. Plus they have to have your name to a photo in the first place for it to work. Just like they could not take your finger print and ID you by pulling your name out of the ether.

I get that they look funny at this point in their creation, but as a business owner I sure as heck would not spend the money to create something way out there when simple glasses would do the job.

Really? "as a business owner"?
Im a business owner too, so as a business owner and an experienced bird owner I can tell you MANY dollars have been wasted in the development and purchasing of a vast array of goods that simply do not work.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

At this point I do not have access to the government capabilities so I can't but I will keep an eye on it an pass it along if I do. As for having a picture, anyone that has an ID or drivers license have already given it to them.

I know there is some stupid stuff out there trying to make a buck. Some work and some don't but at least someone is looking to the future and attempting to help us maintain our right to privacy. I have not seen these goggle in action and all I have to go one is the information I presented. It is a break through if they do work and like I said it is at the very least a start which is a lot more that many others are doing, especially companies like Google and FB that are actively attempting to implement facial recognition.

new topics

top topics

join