It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the MSM Play Us For Fools Using Fear and Logical Induction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Ive been seeing it all to much lately (always really) on this forum and everywhere else, that people forgo rationality and choose logical induction (inductive reasoning) over logical deduction (deductive reasoning), and the results that it produces are skewed versions of reality and false notions about situations, the nature of other people / groups, and even entire concepts that have no semblance to reality and at times can be quite bizarre. Im making this thread to put a little deconstructive effort to the issue, and break it down into some basics. Its a simple issue and a simple deconstruction with easy to understand mechanics, but nonetheless it is not intuitive to some or maybe even most unless it is pointed out. Once pointed out, its like a subliminal message has been revealed; theyll never be able to not see it again, unless they choose to be fooled...

...or are trying to fool you.

-

Basically inductive reasoning / logical induction is when conclusions about the whole (the general), are generated from isolated observations (the specific).

This can be a good thing in some situations, and indeed it is the pre-programmed default mode of reasoning in all animals, including the human animal. For survival, it is invaluable.

Example 1: You and your friend are chilling on the Serengeti, and a lion pops out and eats your friend. Your natural conclusion, logically induced from the event you just witnessed, is that since just that one lion was a deadly threat, ALL lions are deadly threats.

Example 2: You are feeling daring one day so decide to lick your finger and it into a hot light socket. You get the shock of your life and knocked on your rump. You naturally conclude from that single electrical faux pas that all hot light sockets are very dangerous, and very bad to touch.

Example 3: While lighting a candle youve recklessly put your finger over the fire, and you get burned. Natural conclusion: All fire is dangerously hot, and must dealt with very carefully.

In all these examples logically inducing that the specific is indicative of the general is a sound move. In general, lions will eat you, all light sockets are very dangerous to stick your finger into, and all fire, is in fact, very hot. There is no necessity to logically deduce these facts, and in fact doing so might very well prove fatal.

Logical induction / inductive reasoning is necessary for survival. It is there to avoid death and pain. When in fear of death and/or pain, the instinctive brain screams "induce now, deduce later!", and in an innumerable amount of cases, it has saved many creatures lives.

-

But inductive reasoning in many cases is not so reliable, and in many others is simply downright not even remotely accurate to the reality of the situation. In these cases it is very easy to draw incorrect conclusions, and TPTB, knowing all of our innate predilection towards logically inducing conclusions about the whole based solely on specific and even singular events when those events are perceived as threats, uses this to shape the opinion of a targeted demographic towards a certain end by releasing limited information, half-truths, biased reports, using emotionally evocative keywords that are already associated with predefined conclusions, utilizing down right blatant lies, repetition, and perhaps the most powerful technique employable, FEAR.

A classic example: (supposedly) Muslims did 9/11, and it was talked about for years and years, all while blaming either overtly or covertly, Muslims. Most in the US do not know any muslims, so naturally out of fright and not even consciously, they default to using logical induction to determine that since (supposedly) 19 Muslims were very dangerous, ALL Muslims are very dangerous.

This conclusion is patently incorrect to anyone who chooses to look at the situation critically. However, the faulty conclusion did serve a purpose for the benefit of the PTB: they got nearly an entire nation to back their preplanned wars against predominantly Muslim nations through the incorrect associatation that Muslim = threat.

I have never met a Muslim in my life that I am aware of, yet I still know with certainty that using inductive reasoning in this situation is absurdly fallacious and unable to stand up to the slightest bit of objective, rational thought. The odds of a select 0.000000011875% (19 out of 1.6 billion) being accurately representative of the 100% (1.6 billion) are incalculably small.

Looking at the situation from a deductive perspective, the only conclusion that could be come to IMO, is that NO conclusion can be drawn from the information presented. There is simply not a large enough sample to draw accurate conclusions from. The sample is too small, and there can be no reliable judgement made.

But deductive reasoning is not as natural as inductive. Inductive will save your life from a lion or a second severe electrical indiscretion, but when applied to more complex situations such as the motives and nature of groups of people, cultures, and even entire nations, the results are usually so skewed, they bear no actual resemblance to the reality as it is. A false mental framework is constructed that can be very hard to deconstruct.

And thats exactly what TPTB count on when they present you with information via their propaganda outlets (news channels). They count on you NOT thinking in a critical, logically deductive way to measure the weight of the words and insinuated claims to see if they stand up to scrutiny, but count on you to logically induce that their cherry picked singular examples are indicative of the entire range of all possible examples in whatever the given situation is at the time.

-

(continued)
edit on 2/1/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
A more pertinent example, very applicable right now is the conclusion many with an outside perspective are drawing from the entire gun debate circus show in the US media at this moment in time. Those with an outside perspective specifically targeted are those in the US who do not own firearms nor have ever really been around them. Foreigners also woefully unfamiliar with the nuaces of the situation are also at risk of being guided by the MSM shepard if critical thinking and logical deduction are not employed. The US citizens not knowledgable are targeted because they get a collective say in what will happen, despite having no experience nor knowledge of the issue, except what they absorb from the MSM. Now those who do have experience with guns even just in a casual capacity (such as myself) can see the blatant lies spewed forth by the MSM clear as day, and know intuitively that the ideas insinuated by the media cannot stand up to even a modicum of objective scrutiny.

[Just a reminder, this isnt a gun thread. But the example here however is extremely applicable to the topic at hand.]

But those without any knowledge are at the mercy of the MSMs tainted views, IF they allow themselves to be frightened and default into utilizing that good ol instinctive, inductive reasoning.

I want to analyze just briefly the methods used that go towards appealing to our naturally instinctive reaction to logically induce conclusions out of fear / pain. This is just a snap shot of a gigantic topic all unto itself of how words can manipulate, but the end result is the focus here.

Paraphrased of course, the MSM says this: "Children in school [1] where massacred [2] by a man [3] with many guns [4] including an assault rifle [5]".

The subconscious associations, pre-existing and being created, behind the words:

1: "school", a supposedly safe place, not classically associated with fear/pain.

2: "massacred", key word integrally associated with fear/pain.

3: "man", notice what kind of man it was is not mentioned. It is left vague and thus, ignorable in the presence a perceived immediate threat.

4: "many guns", as "man" is left undefined, it is ignored by the fearful mind and moves to the next bit of information, which is a plurality of guns. Guns are usually associated with violence, thus the mind attaches to this as it is the first thing identifiable as a known potential threat. All fear is ascribed onto this first perceived threat.

In times of fear, associations are made on a first come, first served basis. I hope you are seeing why "man" was left undefined. If it was properly defined as "mentally ill" or something similar and was presented first, the mind would associate the prior key words of "massacre" and "school" to "mentally ill", and "gun" would have simply been a secondary association, and not the minds primary target.

5: "assault rifle", further defines what exactly about the broader class (guns) needs to be feared the most. Coming second and directly related to its broader class, the fearful mind is funneled towards a specific point of focus.

All of that distilled means this: school + massacre sets the stage; the mind is now in a state of fear and begins immediately towards identifying the threat. The first potential object of danger is left undefined; it is skipped. Still searching, the mind hits the following object which is already predefined to some extent; it powerfully attaches to that object as the primary threat and seeks to eliminate it.

Now, putting all this together in context with the subconscious associations, this idea is what is formulated in the fearful mind through logical induction: "Guns kill children, especially assault rifles. We are not safe with guns. Guns must be eliminated to protect the children".

With that illogical notion in the minds of the public, the MSM runs wild reinforcing it every chance they get.

Fear and repetition.

Of course, the idea above is absurd when the facts are taken into consideration and logical deduction is excercised to any extent. But those are the kind of conclusions that inductive reasoning produces, and those kind of conclusions are, again, EXACTLY what TPTB absolutely count on and need to continue to perpetuate the Problem Reaction Solution paradigm of creating the problem (almost always illusionary), so the people will demand the exact "solution" to the illusionary problem that TPTB wanted to put into action all along, but wouldnt have been able to due to public resistance.

-

(continued)
edit on 2/1/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This topic is only a tiny snap shot of the enormous picture of how TPTB manipulate the public. But I havnt seen it mentioned specifically in depth before, and I think it is an important piece of the picture that we all need to recognize. We ALL logically induce conclusions by default; its what keeps an animal alive. But we have to realize there is a time and place for inductive reasoning, and never is that time ever when watching/reading the MSM.

I hope that this thread will help to further reveal the MSM mis/disinformation and their tactics, so that we all may realize when we are using logical induction without even thinking about it, and choose to make a conscious decision to think critically about the situation, and come to our own conclusions deduced from large enough samples of verifiable information, rather than making a rash emotional decision based on nothing more than fear.

Logical induction is only natural, but what separates great people from other people, is their ability to rise above their own nature and become more than just a subject of their instincts and natural programming. And we can all be great, if we choose to be.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
hi all.i have been coming onto ats for about 2 years now and never bothered to join, id just read for an hour a day or so. but after reading this i had to join just to say.. this is the best post/forum i have ever read thank you, it is briallant /clear and so truthful. hope to see more like this. thank you from a long time follower, first time poster lol

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
sorry ment to add. please let me know any tips for posting and any do's or dont's in the future

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

S+F for a very well-constructed and informative thread.

Critical thinking is the bane of all those who look to influence you or misinform you. Your thread has done a great job illustrating why it is important and the rationale behind it.

I believe we are all intuitively curious and want to ask why, however I fear our contemporary society is attempting to condition this out of the general public.

Stay strong my fellow cohorts.

edit on 1-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thanks for taking the time to read, guys. I know its a long post, I had no idea I was going to have to split it twice to fit it. Definitely wasnt planing on that kind of length, it just kinda happened

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Bad ass thread!!!!!!

I am saving this and posting it on my F.B. if you don't mind.
There are ALOT of people who need to see this.
You've done a fantastic job of breaking it down so that even the mentally challenged like myself can easily understand it.

You're right.
After reading this, if you still don't see it then,
you are purposely trying NOT to see it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Thanks.

Sure, post it as you like, with a link to the original, if you would.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Bump.
This is a very interesting and informative thread and would have liked to see
what others had to say.

It couldn't be more right on the money.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I think surpassing the standard 168 character text messaging limit might have doomed the thread to a small readership.

Im betting the 3 of you who responded probably also still read books, too

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

why yes I do as a matter of fact.
Thanks for noticing.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

That was magnificent.

Thank you for this eloquent treatise.

Need to pass this around.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by Screwed

I think surpassing the standard 168 character text messaging limit might have doomed the thread to a small readership.

Im betting the 3 of you who responded probably also still read books, too

We will need to raise the literacy rate of our brethren perhaps?

We can accomplish this I believe. All hope is not yet lost.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Bump.
This is a very interesting and informative thread and would have liked to see
what others had to say.

It couldn't be more right on the money.

I typically like to argue and criticize but I am happy with what the OP said.

I see no real problems. He did skip a word though, early on.
Haha

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Don't watch television. Don't read newspapers. Don't follow fads. Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Littletruthseeker

Its more than just about ignoring it though. Its about learning to recognize the methods and how they are used so that you can notice them when they are trying to be used against you in any avenue of life.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Flag and stars for you.

So would you think that inductive reasoning would be more emotionally based where deductive is taking a hard look at things without letting emotional contamination set in?

Thanks for putting examples out there for the layman to grasp....

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

Well I would say inductive reasoning is simply the natural default in mammals to help them live longer. So, when people get emotional, if that emotion is stemming from FEAR, logical induction is used to identify the possible threats immediately to run away and get to safety, THEN think more about it in a deductive capacity when safety is not perceived to be an issue.

Hence why TPTB need to keep everyone in a perpetual state of fear through false flags, propaganda, police state, etc. Fear halts the more in depth analytical mind from processing the information and coming to a more thorough conclusion, and thats what they are banking on the majority to do; respond via their gut, emotion, and without thinking to hard about anything.

Easy to control people who dont think.

Thanks for reading the thread.

edit on 4/20/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join