It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ft. Hood Soldier Shoots Friend While Trying to Cure His Hiccups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Story

Spc. Patrick Edward Myers, of Spartanburg, S.C., was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in military prison for fatally shooting 22-year-old Pfc. Isaac Lawrence Young, of Ash Grove, Mo., in the face in September while they were watching a football game at an apartment in Killeen, Texas.

I'm sure this was the intent of 2nd amendment. It's important that everyone in the country arm themselves because you never know when your friend might get the hiccups.

Somewhat related note, when I was in Iraq this one Marine I knew was twirling his pistol and shot his junk off. No joke.

Well regulated militia my ass.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Spc. Patrick Edward Myers was an idiot.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
Story

Spc. Patrick Edward Myers, of Spartanburg, S.C., was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in military prison for fatally shooting 22-year-old Pfc. Isaac Lawrence Young, of Ash Grove, Mo., in the face in September while they were watching a football game at an apartment in Killeen, Texas.

I'm sure this was the intent of 2nd amendment. It's important that everyone in the country arm themselves because you never know when your friend might get the hiccups.

Somewhat related note, when I was in Iraq this one Marine I knew was twirling his pistol and shot his junk off. No joke.

Well regulated militia my ass.

There is a huge difference between a "well regulated militia", and a bunch of unemployed 18 year olds being shipped to the sandbox.

You are trying to use an argument of appealing to authority...

Since they are in the military, they have to be smarter with those weapons than a civilian...

There are idiots in every walk of life. Especially those idiots who blatantly disregard their training...

Remember, all guns are loaded. Keep your finger off the trigger. Never point a weapon at something you don't intend to destroy.

It sounds like to me, he forgot or just ignored all three of those.

Stupid people shouldn't be used as an argument. Otherwise we would have banned cars and alcohol decades ago...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Stupid people shouldn't be used as an argument. Otherwise we would have banned cars and alcohol decades ago...

Speaking of fallacies, that one is called a questionable analogy. Guns are made to kill people. Cars and alcohol, while they happen to kill people, are not manufactured and marketed to do so.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
well this has gone on long enough

we need a ban on hiccups in this country..
edit on 1-2-2013 by spaceg0at because: 420

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

edit on 1-2-2013 by QUANTUMGR4V17Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Speaking of fallacies, that one is called a questionable analogy. Guns are made to kill people. Cars and alcohol, while they happen to kill people, are not manufactured and marketed to do so.

Guns are made to kill animals for food, for sport shooting, for personal defense from predators while camping, for signaling (flare guns), and many other reasons than just being "made to kill people".

My analogy is quite suitable. Cars aren't made to specifically kill people, but I can show you cases where they were used as lethal weapons, and only for the purpose of killing someone. Same as guns.

And please, show me one commercial or advert where you see a gun and the marketing says, "buy this one, it kills people better than the rest!"

Because that is what you just said. They re specifically marketed to kill people.

You know, screw the hunters, target shooters, skeet shooters, collectors, and everyone else. And please, forget about that farmer that owns a .410 for killing snakes while he is out checking his crops.

Edit: and if you read my post, you would realize I never said that alcohol and cars should be banned because they kill people. I was referring to stupid people who drink and drive. Just like stupid people who misuse firearms.

Please, read the whole thing in context before you go pulling a Piers Morgan and quoting half of a statement,
edit on 1-2-2013 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

And please, show me one commercial or advert where you see a gun and the marketing says, "buy this one, it kills people better than the rest!"

Because that is what you just said. They re specifically marketed to kill people.

He said specially made, not marketed. When's the last time you saw a strictly honest commercial?

"Welcome to Burger King, where we use 100% processed horse meat in our burgers and our employees sneeze on our fries. Please remember to avoid the soda machines, Cola has been shown to cause obesity. I should know, my exwife and my hippy son both work there and they wear the same size pant: Dinosaur! Please pay close attention to all warning labels identifying self-explanatory qualities within our products, because we do serve to both idiots and people who don't run for office. Thank you and have a good day."

I've never seen any commercial like that.
edit on 1-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I'm sure all the "hunters, target shooters, skeet shooters, collectors, and that farmer that owns a .410 for killing snakes while he is out checking his crops" would really appreciate the "Ultimate in concealed firepower" this gun brings to the table.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

He said specially made, not marketed. When's the last time you saw a strictly honest commercial?

I've never seen any commercial like that.
edit on 1-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

He specifically said, and I quoted, "manufactured and marketed for killing people". Seems pretty obvious what he typed to me.

And that advert says it's easier to conceal, not easier to kill with.

11 rounds in a pocket pistol with less than stellar accuracy, and TERRIBLE recoil (yes, I own 3 kel-tecs), is not advertising the latest and greatest in killing machines.

It's advertising the fact it is easy to conceal and carry, so as to never need to leave your pistol at home and not be defended.

#ing hell, you people will grasp at anything.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Don't give me that "you people" crap. In 4 years in the Marines I carried, fired, and cleaned enough weapons to last me a lifetime. Personally I never want to see another gun ever again, because all I've seen them used for is killing people.

You say you need a gun for personal defense. From what? Other people's guns.

I just want to live somewhere with no guns. That's all. Is that so much to ask?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Don't give me that "you people" crap. In 4 years in the Marines I carried, fired, and cleaned enough weapons to last me a lifetime. Personally I never want to see another gun ever again, because all I've seen them used for is killing people.

You say you need a gun for personal defense. From what? Other people's guns.

I just want to live somewhere with no guns. That's all. Is that so much to ask?

The move your UN-American ass to Iceland.

I have been active military... I have seen the bad side of guns. I also grew up in arguably THE worst inner-city in America. And I STILL don't want guns banned.

Why? Because it isn't my, or your, decision. It's an American Right to own a gun.

I don't care how you feel about guns. I don't care how Barry feels about guns.

Hell, I don't care how my family or kids feel about guns. Guess what, it's not my place to step on other peoples' rights.

And it's not yours either.

You don't like the laws here?

GET... THE... #.... OUT.

I hate saying this to a fellow Marine, but you are what is wrong with America. You don't care about others rights because it conflicts with your outlook on life.

Guess what... Tough tittie... No one cares.

Move.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Yawn.. another gun control advocate with weak arguments and a fake persona trying to troll people into arguing about guns because he feels like arguing.

There are rules against trolling here and given your immediate tone and illogical structuring here I think it's a pretty safe bet that's the reason you made this thread, which btw isn't much of one.
edit on 1-2-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The move your UN-American ass to Iceland.

I'm at the point where I might take that as a compliment. Somehow when I wasn't looking the land of the free and home of the brave became the most heavily incarcerated nation in the world, and we're losing more vets to suicide than to any of our 4 or 5 fabulous wars combined.

Look I know the Supreme Court says it's your individual right to bear as many arms as you want, but why is that the only right that seems to be without limit? You're free to practice religion, but not ritualistic cannibalism. Your right to speech is guaranteed, but you can still be sued for libel.

I'm not naive enough to think that guns are just going to disappear, no matter how bad I want it to happen. But why can't guns be regulated and controlled the same as cars and liquor? Why do so many unstable, irresponsible, asinine, people get to own as many guns as they want?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

The fallacy here is your statements, cars are among the top 5 killers guns are not even in the top 100 not even on the radar. Your premise is because some idiot shoots his buddy its the guns fault so we should get rid of guns. Its one of the most moronic arguments I have ever heard. The poster you responded to completely exposed your illogic for the tripe that it is and you in stride tried to defend that idiocy... A little advice quit before you embarrass yourself further. The weak minded who embrace the anti-gun BS are unarmed for a battle of wits.
edit on 1-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

But why can't guns be regulated and controlled the same as cars and liquor? Why do so many unstable, irresponsible, asinine, people get to own as many guns as they want?

Because anyone with a brain can look at the history of cars and alcohol and see that such regulation has not done a damn thing to lower or prevent them from harming people or some idiot from doing something stupid. In fact cars are one of the top five killers... So much for regulation...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

cars are among the top 5 killers guns are not even in the top 100 not even on the radar.

What are you on dude?

Traffic fatalities in 2011 were the lowest since 1949, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.There were 53,524 motor-vehicle deaths in 1979, compared with a projected 33,975 this year

Gun deaths by homicide, suicide or accident peaked at 37,666 in 1993 before declining to a low of 28,393 in 2000, the data show. Since then the total has risen to 31,328 in 2010, an increase of 2,935, or eight more victims a day.

www.bloomberg.com...

Guns are definitely "on the radar". You seem to be really confused on this issue. Traffic fatalities have fallen because of safer vehicles, safety legislation, seat belt laws, and restrictions on driving privileges.

In contrast, gun laws have become more relaxed and we're focused on getting incredible firepower info the hands of as many people as possible.

www.vpc.org...
edit on 2-2-2013 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

And anyway, my premise wasn't about taking your guns from you because of idiots who shoot their friends in the face to cure their hiccups. My premise is that I wish there were no more guns, and every time I read about another needless death due to someone getting shot I want to live in this country less and less.
edit on 2-2-2013 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

cars are among the top 5 killers guns are not even in the top 100 not even on the radar.

What are you on dude?

Traffic fatalities in 2011 were the lowest since 1949, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.There were 53,524 motor-vehicle deaths in 1979, compared with a projected 33,975 this year

Gun deaths by homicide, suicide or accident peaked at 37,666 in 1993 before declining to a low of 28,393 in 2000, the data show. Since then the total has risen to 31,328 in 2010, an increase of 2,935, or eight more victims a day.

Guns are definitely "on the radar". You seem to be really confused on this issue. Traffic fatalities have fallen because of safer vehicles, safety legislation, seat belt laws, and restrictions on driving privileges.

In contrast, gun laws have become more relaxed and we're focused on getting incredible firepower info the hands of as many people as possible.

What is the source for your car numbers?

The preliminary number of deaths in the United States for 2011 was 2,513,171 (Tables A and 1).

Injury by firearms 32,163 (table 2)
Assault (homicide) by discharge of firearms 11,101
Intentional self-harm (suicide) by discharge of firearms. 19,766
Motor vehicle accidents 122,777

www.cdc.gov...

So we see the vast majority for guns were suicides not homicides

So if we calculate the percentage firearms account for 1.2 percent of all deaths almost insignificant in comparison to oh say cars or doctors and 100s of other causes of death before firearms. Your chances are nearly a 100 times greater of dying from a car accident or a doctor then by a gun.

Also gun laws have not become more relaxed they have progressively become more restrictive since 1968.

edit on 2-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
well this has gone on long enough

we need a ban on hiccups in this country..
edit on 1-2-2013 by spaceg0at because: 420

lol I second this motion

join