It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chat telling me I am missing plug in?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I was able to get into chat yesterday but today it's telling me "inactive plug in." When I click the button it says checking for updates then tells me I dont' have anything to update.

What do I need for chat? Is there a new plug in I don't know about.

Thanks.
edit on 2/1/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Explanation: Flagged!

OMFG Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Personal Disclosure: Finding a fix for you now mblah!

2hrs and no reply and no fix ... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Explanation: Bad news mblah!

Here is why ...

Apple's block on Java blocks ad flow (by Lia Timson IT Pro Editor February 1, 2013 - 8:48PM) [smh.com.au]

•Apple blocks Java on Macs over security flaws
Apple's decision to block Mac computers from running programs that use Oracle's Java programming language has had some unintended consequences.

Although the block was designed as a security measure to stop Java running on browsers, thus shielding users from potential hackers who can take over their computers using vulnerabilities found on the software, it was also blocking non-browser applications on Friday.

Ivan Glaser, regional chief information officer Asia Pacific, for communications group Havas Worldwide, said some 18 advertising agencies in the region woke up Friday morning to find themselves cut off from their backbone application.

AND ...

Glaser said he was "astounded" that Apple would effect such block without notice.

"I don't know how many people run mission-critical Java applications, but it's a sign of Apple's omnipresence. Imagine if Microsoft pulled the switch on Exchange … It's OK if Apple blocked the browser, but these applications don't use a web browser."

He said non-Mac users could not communicate with Mac users via the applications.

"It's just irritating. When things stop working, users immediately blame IT, so we are at pains to notify staff of the reason. It's an Apple thing," Glaser said.

Please refer to linked article for full story ok.

Personal Disclosure: I have no immediate fix for this!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

ON NOES!!

That pesky java! I have always had issues with Java and Mac as a whole.

I am guessing it has to do with that Java issue a couple weeks back.

Thanks OL

Tell everyone in chat hello and I miss them!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Have never been a fan of the java chat room, And now its fighting back. Looks like Mac users wont ever get in

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I'm using windows and I've been getting the missing plug in error message for about 3 months now lol

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Hey mblah,

I've been having the same problem,but only on Firefox for some reason. I downloaded a secondary browser,like Opera and chat works fine from there.

Don't ask me the ins and outs cause I dunno,it just works on another browser for some reason lol

HLF

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Horselover Fat

no joy in opera, chrome etc.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Wow... this Mac/Java thing sucks... must be affecting a lot more than just us...

Java did release a security update a day or two ago... that brings them up to Version 7 Update 13.

According to their release notes there were something like 50 security fixes in this latest update. Have any Mac folk tried to download it and see if it makes a difference?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

I just downloaded that latest Java and got in Chat on FireFox !!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Same here..

I also had to reboot, works now.. ( in FF)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Explanation: I have zero clues about this as I don't use a Mac and I use Internet Explorer.

But here is what I was able to find ... and I hope this helps ...

The WHY ...

Apple Remotely Disables Java on Macs After Major Security Alert (3:00 PM EST, Jan. 11th, 2013 · John Martellaro · News) [macobserver.com]

The U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team referenced, on January 10, the Software Engineering Institute Vulnerability Note VU#625617 which says: "Java 7 Update 10 and earlier contain an unspecified vulnerability that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system."

There is no known workaround to the latest version of Java, and the agency noted that "This vulnerability is being attacked in the wild, and is reported to be incorporated into exploit kits. Exploit code for this vulnerability is also publicly available."

Apple has already responded by disabling the Java plug-in on Macs that have it installed. OS X now has a mechanism, the "Xprotect.plist," that can be remotely updated by Apple.

The exploit was discovered by a French researcher, "Kafeine" who first described the problem.

Because the Java plug-in is disabled by Apple for browsers, applets will be prevented from executing within a browser.

The WHAT ...

0 day 1.7u10 (CVE-2013-0422) spotted in the Wild - Disable Java Plugin NOW !

A possible fix ...

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12 [support.apple.com]

Version: 1.6.0_39
Post Date: Feb 1, 2013
Download ID: DL1573
License: Update
File Size: 72.7 MB
System Requirements
Mac OS X v10.6.8 Snow Leopard

About Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12
Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12 delivers improved security, reliability, and compatibility by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_39.
On systems that have not already installed Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 9 or later, this update will configure web browsers to not automatically run Java applets. Java applets may be re-enabled by clicking the region labeled "Inactive plug-in" on a web page. If no applets have been run for an extended period of time, the Java web plug-in will deactivate.

Please visit the last link for access to the update ok.

Personal Disclosure: @ Apple ... if you ever arbitrarily turn off stuff again ..you had better telegraph that way in advance. YOU SUX YOU
!!!

@ Java ... you can not secure the net .. it is IMPOSSIBLE , YOU
!!! :shk:

@ TAN/ATS Admin ... can we get flash chat back please?

@ Everybody ... are you tired of the endless updates that never seem to work??

top topics

join