It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed Police Officer Stops School Shooting in Georgia

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by neoholographic
I guess guns aren't so bad.

Wait a sec, what was the cause of the problem in the first place?

Edit:

Ok, it's evident that I'm going to get a lot of mindless "guns don't kill people, people kill people" replies. So I'll quote myself explaining why people blame guns.

People blame guns for a very good reason that is always misunderstood. Suppose you had to do something that required a lot of time and effort, you have the option to do it that way or use a tool that will get the job done quickly and effortlessly. Which would you choose? Suppose this job is killing someone. Now on top of time and effort imagine mess, the risk of you getting injured or killed, the risk of getting caught, the risk of being seen and so on. A tool, a gun, can eradicate or drastically reduce these downsides. That acts as a motivator, and that's why so many people choose to use a gun, a lot of people wouldn't bother with the first way.

This is what people mean when they say guns are to blame, and that's why "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a stupid argument.

This especially applies to mass shootings.

So don't bother trying to be smart with "did the gun go to school to shoot people?" style replies.
edit on 1-2-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

Criminals get drugs the same way they'll get guns if they wanted to. Now, if no regular citizen had a gun, the criminals wouldn't have any problem shooting more people, because nobody will be able to defend themselves.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havox

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by neoholographic
I guess guns aren't so bad.

Wait a sec, what was the cause of the problem in the first place?

Edit:

Ok, it's evident that I'm going to get a lot of mindless "guns don't kill people, people kill people" replies. So I'll quote myself explaining why people blame guns.

People blame guns for a very good reason that is always misunderstood. Suppose you had to do something that required a lot of time and effort, you have the option to do it that way or use a tool that will get the job done quickly and effortlessly. Which would you choose? Suppose this job is killing someone. Now on top of time and effort imagine mess, the risk of you getting injured or killed, the risk of getting caught, the risk of being seen and so on. A tool, a gun, can eradicate or drastically reduce these downsides. That acts as a motivator, and that's why so many people choose to use a gun, a lot of people wouldn't bother with the first way.

This is what people mean when they say guns are to blame, and that's why "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a stupid argument.

This especially applies to mass shootings.

So don't bother trying to be smart with "did the gun go to school to shoot people?" style replies.
edit on 1-2-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

Criminals get drugs the same way they'll get guns if they wanted to. Now, if no regular citizen had a gun, the criminals wouldn't have any problem shooting more people, because nobody will be able to defend themselves.

That doesn't really relate to my point though, does it? I wasn't talking about gun control.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Here's a good solution. put the community police office into the school.....Oh that's right, the City officials like the police in their building guarding them in case some crazy local taxpayer gets mad over his super high unjust bill.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

stuff is put into food to calm us and we need it - wth?

please explain and use direct examples of what additives are put in what foods exactly

you can just say a load of random stuff without backing it up

thank you

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
is this a conspiracy site or somewhere to bounce political agendas?

The NRA has been banging the "arm a cop in every school" drum for quite a while - out of the blue, armed cop in a school possibly saves another massacre - coincidence?

The school apparently is in a bad neighbourhood, full of gangs, drugs and guns - easy pickings to find a kid to stage a shooting?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
While incidents like this have happened in the past, the media is fueling murderous acts by personalizing them. If the media would just shutup we would see far fewer copycat crimes like this. They seem to be trying to cause them.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by erebh
reply to post by rickymouse

stuff is put into food to calm us and we need it - wth?

please explain and use direct examples of what additives are put in what foods exactly

you can just say a load of random stuff without backing it up

thank you

Well lets start with fluoride which is a known goietrogen or how about the bromates put into breads which lower our energy levels and work similar to goiterogens. Both these things replace Iodine in the thyroid gland. Clorine in our water is necessary but it works also to settle people and this is not the same chemical structure as in salt.

I have epilepsy and have extensively studied the foods looking for foods and addatives to settle brain activity. Take for instance asparagaines in food which work well for me but it makes me a little dopey.. A manmade chemical with the same property except spun different is aspartame. I can go on with chemicals of all types but this is not a thread about that. I mentioned it because the calming foods are sometimes good for society, the manmade chemicals that we are not accustomed to are the problem. Coconut oil is a good thing for calming. Anything with propan type chemicals in them calm us including using propane for cooking instead of charcoal. Not all these are bad, they are calming and can help regulate heartrate.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

This is not a gun control thread..

This is a thread about a hero who stopped someone with malicious intent from causing harm on a widespread scale...

However, since you already went there:

Now you are obviously anti-gun. I'm not because I depend on them for survival but to each their own..

However, a gun ban will not stop a kid from going into a school and shooting people. He will be able to get a gun whether he can legally obtain one or not (a person under 21 cannot buy a handgun and a person under 18 cannot buy a hunting rifle or shotgun)

No, what stopped this event from being another sandy hook was an armed guard protecting these kids... That was the solution in this case... Thank god he was there.

Think what you want about guns and gun control but a gun ban will not stop school shootings.. You are naive if you think so.

With that said.

I think even the most pro-gun individual would still agree that school shootings are a serious problem and require a serious solution. However, this is a direct, in your face problem and it requires an equally direct solution..

Sure you can take away AR-15s most of which are owned by responsible gun owners... but how does that really solve anything? How does that directly stop a kid from going into a school with a firearm and causing a horrible tragedy especially since he can't legally own a firearm anyway?

Myself, I prefer the direct approach and this is a perfect example of why a direct problem requires a direct solution...

I would feel much better about someone around with the capacity to directly protect our children rather than a purely political gun control agenda that provides no real solution to a very serious problem.
edit on 1-2-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Originally posted by DaMod
This is a thread about a hero who stopped someone with malicious intent from causing harm on a widespread scale...

But our "hero" DIDN'T stop the kid. He ran out of bullets. He emptied his clip. Only then was he apprehended and his weapon recovered. Source

However, a gun ban will not stop a kid from going into a school and shooting people. He will be able to get a gun whether he can legally obtain one or not

Agreed. 100% Fortunately, he didn't have a large capacity magazine.

No, what stopped this event from being another sandy hook was an armed guard protecting these kids...

You're mistaken. The guard didn't stop the kid from shooting.

edit on 2/1/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That's another thing.. These "Large capacity magazines"

I don't know about you, but I can change a magazine very quickly... Very quickly...

Again not a solution..

-----------

The article says the shooter unloaded not the resource officer
edit on 1-2-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join