It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First video reveals working tractor beam in action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Hi all
I searched for this and was surprised I didnt see it.. So if its been posted sry mods please delete

I just thought this was cool. I know its just particles its moving, but.I wonder if as this tech advances will we have the kind of tractor beams we see in the movies..

Like if a person is trapped in a very bad situation will we be able to just suck him up into a hellicopter. That would be so cool
video at the link
www.newscientist.com...

A working tractor beam has now been caught on video, showing how light can pull objects - on a microscopic scale.

While it's well known that light can push objects as they follow the flow of photons, attracting them isn't as simple. By shining a laser through a lens and mirror set-up, Tomas Cizmar from the University of St Andrews in the UK and colleagues were able to reverse the effect, thanks to the interference pattern of reflected beams. Their technique works both in liquids and in a vacuum.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

More power!
lol.
That's some cool stuff right there.

I can imagine they could use that in some lithographic process to arrange things.
Or scale it up to move things in space.

SCIENCE!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Crazy!
It's amazing how yesterdays sci fi is tomorrows reality.
I wonder what sci fi is going to be like in the future?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Wow I was more intrigued by how the attraction between particles, as they needed to be in a specific configuration before they would be 'pulled' out into a segment. They look static in how they attract and repel each other.

lol good choice of music for it too.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
"Mirrors.... lasers.... reflected beams....vacuum...." Is this all they are using?

I was expecting some break through using newer technologies, then my sense of the real world kicked on, and I realized that everything in advanced tech is locked behind private doors and/or bought up & shelved.

I'm not impressed by the crumbs they through us like this video example. A magnet and some iron filings are more impressive to me. Maybe if we ate 10 bowls of Monsanto corn flakes w/ iron filings in them every day, like many people do, they could "tractor" us to a helicopter using a giant magnet.

A lot cheaper, and sounds like more fun.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Very interesting! S&F - I hadn't seen this story at all. Cool stuff, even if it is on a very small scale. Maybe better that way....then they can't use them on our cars, if they decide they don't like how we are driving. I could see that now.....

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
Hi all
I searched for this and was surprised I didnt see it..
I searched: tractor beam
What did you search?

Beam me up Scotty
posted on 25-1-2013 @ 10:07 AM

'Star Trek' Prototype Tractor Beam Developed By Scientists
posted on 28-1-2013 @ 12:02 PM

Tractor beam built from rings of laser light
posted on 19-10-2012 @ 02:41 PM

top topics

join