It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Democrats reject bill to allow teachers to carry concealed weapons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hi all

Well im not really sure where I stand on arming the teachers. I think it would be a matter of time of time before a teacher shoots a student..

I dont think we need to do anything at schools to defend against school shootings,accept be more vigilant

Maybe there should be some kind of program where parents volunteer their time and just sit at all the entrances to the school. Im sure alot of parents would agree to give up a day here and there..

www.denverpost.com...

A Republican bill to allow teachers to carry concealed weapons in Colorado schools was defeated in a Senate committee on Monday, with Democrats dismissing arguments it would make children safer from massacres like the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting.

Senate Bill 9 failed on a 2-3 party line vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee, the same day more than 100 supporters gathered outside the Capitol to rally in favor of stricter gun controls.

Read more: Colorado Democrats reject bill to allow teachers to carry concealed weapons - The Denver Post www.denverpost.com...
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: www.denverpost.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I hope each of them are held to account to the voters the next time a school shooting happens. I can't imagine how it goes if the next Colorado event happens while a CCW permit holder ...who happens to be a teacher....is legally barred from having the one thing to end the shooting from the inside.

100% Gun Free Zones are 100% Safe Working Environments for Spree Killers. They make use of them frequently, too. OSHA would approve.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I hope each of them are held to account to the voters the next time a school shooting happens. I can't imagine how it goes if the next Colorado event happens while a CCW permit holder ...who happens to be a teacher....is legally barred from having the one thing to end the shooting from the inside.

100% Gun Free Zones are 100% Safe Working Environments for Spree Killers. They make use of them frequently, too. OSHA would approve.

Colorado is my home state, and I love it. Unfortunately the state legislature has been taken over by Progressives and they have a super majority. I no longer live there, but my parents still do and they tell me all the time how bad things are getting. Basically since about 1990, all of the Libs that destroyed California have migrated to Colorado and then being the Libs that they are, meaning idiots, voted for the exact same people that ruined California, and now they have ruined Colorado. It is still quite easy to get a concealed carry permit in Colorado, and if I were a teacher I would just break the stupid law and carry anyway.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Good for them.

Teachers are there to teach, not to be armed and act as soldiers.

Arming teachers is by far one of the dumbest suggestions I have heard from the pro-gun crowd. Put an on-duty cop at each school, fine, but teachers are under enough pressure already with their job...last thing we should do is arm them.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Colorado Democrats reject bill to allow teachers to carry concealed weapons

Shocking!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Yeah I don't know about the teachers carrying guns thing. Even though I am a VERY strong supporter of 2A, I do think that having firearms in such close proximity with kids is a recipe for a fubar situation. Especially in elementary and middle schools. High school, I'm not sure either but I'd be more inclined to agree with that exception.

The teacher would have to be 100% with keeping that thing secure and out of reach, and can you really trust every teacher to be that vigilant? I like the armed guards and reinforced doors and that route better than arming teachers.

Maybe an alternative would be armed guards/CCW teachers, but the teachers would have to check them at the security desk or something and still have access if the guard needs backup.

Then maybe a better solution down the road would be to get rid of the current administration and get back to a less totalitarian and better-educated society where school shootings would be virtually nonexistent again.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

You're right. Colorado is a fine state and outside the political leanings most prevalent in the Denver/Boulder area, a fine bunch of people too. I used to get a kick out of reading the local papers while in Colorado when they'd talk about the transplants from California in particular.

I think the most hilarious thing was how the people in the rural communities had to "Educate" the newbie residents moving in about how..NO..their driveway and street NEVER gets plowed by anyone official in the high country and back areas. No...there aren't animal control officers to come out at a quick call and shoot or relocate every predator that was there first and has every right to eat them if they get stupid and YES...living in the beauty of the Rockies comes with personal responsibility which was apparently a foreign concept to a good % who thought they wanted that.

Perhaps that's where a lot of the Boulder/Denver crowds come from? The people who moved for the beauty, couldn't handle the responsibility that came with it and so, moved back to the flat lands and created the very thing they left California to escape from. I hope your family is in a good area though and happy. Sounds like they've earned it by being there first, too.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree...I mean is it just me or does anyone else think this is total horse sh....Our politicians get to send their children to nice safe schools with armed guards, but we protect ours with a sign that says "GUN FREE ZONE", like a criminal is gonna give a damn about it...

I've lost complete faith in Communist Amerika...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Notice how it's always the public copping the bullets right? None of these psycho's never gets pumped up on '___' and goes to shoot up a couple of politicians while they are sitting in a meeting of congress, or big time wall street jerk offs.....

No it's always the 'little guy' biting the bullets for them....What a crock...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yep and good on them. Getting teachers to carry around loaded guns in classrooms, I'm sorry we don't train teachers to be policemen or women, we don't train them to be prison guards.

I'm really glad this did not get through.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by goou111

Yep and good on them. Getting teachers to carry around loaded guns in classrooms, I'm sorry we don't train teachers to be policemen or women, we don't train them to be prison guards.

I'm really glad this did not get through.

Uh...Prison guards don't carry guns. And the police, only show up AFTER a crime has been reported. Assuming the victims are still alive and are able to get to a phone...

So, how does this apply to the OP?

The bill was written so that teachers COULD carry, legally, if they usually do, outside of the school. I didn't see where it said anyone was going to FORCE them to possess a gun, on school grounds.

Try this. Put your hand over one eye, and show me the tree. Now, put your hand over the other eye, and point to the forest. There! You've got it!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Maybe teachers should be allowed to carry scissors and wire hangers instead?
Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I don't know about a teacher shooting a student, but I would have a concern with a student stealing a gun from the teacher. I am not sure where I stand either. I think having armed security there is a good thing, but I don't know about arming teachers, BUT if there was some system that could be worked out, i'd be willing.

For example, what if the gun was locked remotely AND locked again by the teacher so if they went on lockdown the guns in all classrooms were unlocked from the main office, and the teacher of each room then unlocked the second lock with his/her own key and had access to a gun only when a threat became present. That way a teacher couldn't unlock it themselves if they went crazy or if a student got the key, and someone in the office couldn't unlock the second lock without the individual teachers key.

There could be situations of course where no one is able to unlock them, but it would be unlikely especially if the system was accessible through an online system or phone system. I know locking the guns up tight may be an obstacle that costs lives, but I think it would prevent the negative possibilities of having guns in classrooms and more times than not the teachers would be able to lock their doors and access the firearms.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Of course we don't train our Teachers to be cops or soldiers. Nor is anyone suggesting we should. I wouldn't even suggest encouraging, let alone pressuring, anyone to be armed who doesn't make that their own choice 100%.

However, among those teachers who do choose to take the training, pass the additional background checks and receive their concealed carry permits? There is no GOOD reason to bar them from carry into their work place. There are kids around? Indeed... There are kids in the stores, streets and parks these same CCW Teachers carry guns in right now. They aren't shooting anyone and their guns aren't being misplaced or stolen from them now. Why would that change in a school, college or University setting when concealed means no one knows who has one and who doesn't to begin with?

In point of fact, more than 1 state already allowed teachers to carry their personal carry weapons into their classroom/workplace well before the CT shooting and there hasn't been a documented incident that *I* am aware of where that led to death or injury as a result.

What I DO know as a documented fact though is at Virginia Tech, one of the instructors blocked the door with his own body so his kids could jump from a second floor window and save their lives. The instructor was shot to death THROUGH the door. He was a holocaust survivor. Do you think he may have shot the killer as quickly as he gave his own life by choice, to save the kids? I'm betting he'd have preferred that option, all things being equal.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Consider my above post. I think there is a safe way to go about it.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Of course we don't train our Teachers to be cops or soldiers.

No, we don't. This isn't their purpose in the community, and I don't see any reason why parents should be forced to send their kids into classes surrounded by loaded guns. I really don't.

You want to let your kids run around, or sit around, surrounded by loaded guns? You do that at the risk to their safety, in your own house. There are sane enough people out there who can clearly see that there needs to be line drawn when it comes to the gun rights, and this I am glad.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

You're taking an interesting and rather extreme angle on this whole thing. You're suggesting I would want my son in a school filled with armed people. No, actually, I want nothing of the sort. That is one way of looking at it though. It's extreme because even in those few states where it's been legal for quite some time now for teachers to carry their firearms at work, it's far from a 'school full of them'.

Now in a perfect world. I would love to see schools actually BE a gun free zone to be perfectly honest. No one WANTS a world where it's even necessary for adults to be armed for the protection of our children as well as themselves.

We aren't in a perfect world though and I don't make that decision about guns around our kids. Neither do you or the law makers in State Houses or Congress. Criminals make that choice when they walk onto a campus from Elementary Schools to University campuses and open fire on innocent people. That is the reality we live in and live with.

In that real world, I simply don't want to see the teachers WITHOUT a means to defend themselves against deadly force being brought against them and specifically against the children we've trusted in their care.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Why do politicians get to send their kids to schools with armed guards, that is paid for with our taxpayer money? Yet, we stick a sign on the door, that truth be told, hasn't seemed to produce any kind of prohibitive affect that I can see...

Ever seen some nut go shoot up the school for children of politicians....Of course not..

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Good points you've been making here! I will even grant the folks on the other side of this issue that it's not really fair to include the Schools the actual top leaders send their kids to. The President, Speaker, Senate Majority Leader and a handful of others are in the National Command Authority chain and actually could have international attention aimed at their kids...so in those cases, I almost say they ought to have private tutors for the safety of the kids they attend with, but at least they have security at that top level.

They rest though?? You're absolutely right. Just what enormous threat are a freshman congressman's kid's under or a Governor or State House Rep? They have issues...but as you've noted, don't we ALL have issues and that is the whole point.

They shouldn't have the luxury of no concerns to their kid's school being a target (or at least a successful one) while the best we get are idiot school districts in California packing M-16 rifles on the surplus program or whatever deal they have with Colt there to get those rifles at a mere $1,000 a copy. If THEY need security well then our kids are no less special and unique than theirs and I resent how their attitude actually DOES imply the opposite when you think about it, huh?

edit on 29-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

It almost seems like their kids are worth more than ours; don't you think?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join