It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE reason we exist.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's spelled "forte", FYI

French ?
I googled it even.:
But thanks. I appreciate being corrected rather than let go all willy nilly to make an ass out of my self even more than I already do.

edit on 29-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Irrelevant. You say "God" is the reason we exist. I disagree. I say we decide the reason for our own existence. We give ourselves purpose. Even if we're just an accident, it doesn't mean we have to be meaningless. We generate our own meaning. We decide how we affect this reality. If there is no reason we exist, then it is purely because we give ourselves no reason. Isn't that what we're best at, anyway? Rationalizing?

Then let us rationalize a reason to exist. Who cares why we began to exist? Let us make a purpose for which we continue to exist! Forget the past, the future awaits!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

But don't you speak of two completely different rationalizations ? In my mind you do. And it isn't at all irrelevant to realize both. And isn't it all just speculation from the self perceived, scientific and even philosophical world view of reality anyway ? Which automatically dismisses all defining statements that lean toward the authoritative?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldie

Originally posted by homeslice
I dont see why people think there needs to be a purpose for our existence. Why must there be a reason?

Because everything happens for a reason. Problem is, we don't see most of the reasons for most things that happen.

Just some questions to ponder.

1. Why are there rocks floating about in the region of space we call the Kuiper Belt? Not 'how', but why?
2. When clouds release water, why does that water turn into snow in cold weather? Again, not how does it happen (we know this), but what's the reason?

I could go on and on, but I hope you get my point?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

According to Descartes, we can only prove that we exist, and even that, we can only each prove to ourselves. This, logically, proves that we are our own gods. Which means we create every reason for ourselves.

BOOM.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

For our viewing pleasure.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

So according to Descartes there is no God and we're the sharpest knife in the drawer. That's just stupid in my mind AI. The information in the genome by itself proves there is a greater intel than ours if it proves that only. The information there not being placed by anything material.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

So according to Descartes there is no God and we're the sharpest knife in the drawer. That's just stupid in my mind AI. The information in the genome by itself proves there is a greater intel than ours if it proves that only. The information there not being placed by anything material.

I didn't say that. I simply asserted that, logically, we are the most potent and capable species or entities in existence. Proven entities, at least.

Is a half-finished painting stupid just because it didn't pop into existence already complete? The best works of art take time.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
reply to post by jiggerj

For our viewing pleasure.

That's about the best answer we could ever come up with.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Is a half-finished painting stupid just because it didn't pop into existence already complete? The best works of art take time.

Can't argue that .

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Isn't non-existence better?.. .

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumSeeker

That depends. Is being asleep better than opening your eyes and seeing the naked woman laying beside you?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
IMO yup.. .without any types of dreams.. .
Without existence there is no suffering.. .imo.. .
edit on 30-1-2013 by QuantumSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2013 by QuantumSeeker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join