It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful System to Bring Widespread Severe Weather Potential 01/29/2013

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Heads up people in the mid to eastern parts of the US.

It seems we have a major system heading our way in a few days,so I thought I would give you a warning to prepare.
It's deja vu,as this happened last year and it devastated a few towns just north of me.

The threat of severe thunderstorms will return early in the week ahead as a strong cold front emerges from the Rockies and intercepts milder air returning to the nation's midsection.

Wednesday Forecast
This pattern will be favorable for thunderstorms to produce damaging winds and possible tornadoes Tuesday into Wednesday in parts of the South, lower Midwest, and eventually the mid-Atlantic region. The maps on this page show the latest timing forecast for these storms from The Weather Channel's Global Forecast Center.

The Key Ingredient: Wind Energy One of our biggest concerns is the amount of wind energy carried by this large-scale storm system. Jet stream winds are forecast to easily exceed 150 miles per hour with this system. But more alarmingly, the winds in the lower atmosphere are also expected to be fierce - potentially over 100 miles per hour just 5,000 feet above the ground in some areas just ahead of the cold front.

That combination of powerful wind energy and an unstable atmosphere - even an only weakly unstable one as we often see in January - can lead to widespread straight-line wind damage. In addition, with such a strong wind field accompanying this system, individual thunderstorms or squall lines are likely to move forward lightning-quick, at speeds of 50, 60, even 70 miles per hour, making quick action all the more important if and when severe weather warnings are issued.
Ultimately, the degree to which warm, moist air can spread north to interact with these potent winds will have a large bearing on the outcome of this event

www.weather.com...

As always stay safe,be prepared, and keep a close eye on your local weather.

Peace,
K
edit on 27-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Saw this on our local news tonight. They were discussing how it could be very severe, but is still to be determined.
And of course we get snow predicted the following day.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm glad it isn't going to be bad here. I won't get to try out my prepping skills but "oh well". I hope it isn't as bad as they say it may be for those in it's path.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up!

We had a very similar weather system move through a few years ago. Severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings. It happened during the school day, and we had to keep the kids in the hallway for almost four hours. You can imagine k-2 students, all terrified, in the hallway that long. Luckily, no tornados touched down, but it was a very intense afternoon.

Hope history doesn't repeat itself...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This was from almost exactly 1 year ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I fear it will be the norm for the future.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm North of those areas, but I stated earlier in another thread, of my astonishment at a drastic temp rise near 60, from my subfreezing norms, in a few days.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm smack dab on the line between the red, and dark red. As usual...

It's starting to get pretty windy here this evening. I'll be picking up more straw for the goats tomorrow. We had snotty ice mix Friday and yesterday morning up here. With all the rain I've had the past 2 weeks, I worry about trees having enough anchor in the wet earth. Guess I'll be parked in this thread for a bit....

Des

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You have a few days to prepare,Des.
Stay safe,lady.
BTW,check out that other thread about food.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by Destinyone

You have a few days to prepare,Des.
Stay safe,lady.
BTW,check out that other thread about food.

I'm a ...cough prepper cough......
Just need to stock up on straw for the goats....

But, thanks for thinking of me...

Des

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Here is NOAA's outlook for Tuesday and Weds I'll be smack dab in the middle of it on weds. no bueno,
I hate this kind of weather it freaks me out. Guess I'll keep the munchkin out of daycare and we'll just hang out in the basement that day.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops I've always been interested in weather/ storms I guess I'll use this one as a learning experience. Thanks for the heads up
edit on 27-1-2013 by RN311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's weather..... winter weather people.

It happens every year, some years are worse than others.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Their not talking about snow and ice........... Their talking about tornadoes and thunderstorms
2nd

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

Which is also Weather !!!! It happens....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Yes,it is.
But sometimes people don't know what's coming because of busy live's .
Tornadoes are not a laughing matter if they occur with this storm.
Thank you for your input.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I think the point of this was to give people who live in these areas a heads up on what was coming their way. Not quite sure why this required a sarcastic rude comment about how "it's just weather, it happens"

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I get it.... it's just not "Fragile Earth" material in my opinion. I let it get me.
Carry On.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

So are replying as a mod or a member, i dont see that neat line around your post stating that your replying as a member.

Anyway on topic. Sure looks like it could get messy for anyone in the area, man i wish i was there.
Stay safe peeps.

Peace

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I get it.... it's just not "Fragile Earth" material in my opinion. I let it get me.
Carry On.

If I have posted this thread in the wrong forum,please let me know.
I would appreciate it.
Peace,
K

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Carry On.

Only had a decent umbrella fwap open on me near Chicago, freezing
rain and thunder (in January...check). Lightniing later, news at 12.LOL
If this is any indication of Wednesday coming, time for another bag o' beans...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I'm smack dab on the line between the red, and dark red. As usual...

It's starting to get pretty windy here this evening. I'll be picking up more straw for the goats tomorrow. We had snotty ice mix Friday and yesterday morning up here. With all the rain I've had the past 2 weeks, I worry about trees having enough anchor in the wet earth. Guess I'll be parked in this thread for a bit....

Des

You're right in the middle of it because of your screen name.
Change your screen name and your Destiny will change.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join