It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I've been around guns all my life and have used them since I was a child. I can shoot practically any gun that I practice with very accurately and practice gun safety at all times. I am a responsible gun owner who takes the right and the responsibility very seriously. Although I am familiar with them, I don't go out of my way to learn the different calibers and models. I haven't done a lot of research and don't really pay attention when they're being discussed a great deal. It just turns into the endless "blah, blah blah" like the adults on the Charlie Brown cartoons. I don't wish to be a connoisseur of guns, just someone who uses what I have responsibly.

I recently went through the training to obtain a CCW permit and will be looking into what firearm best fits my needs. I don't intend to carry at all times as I do not feel I have a need to do so. However, there are times when it will be vey useful and may be needed.

I'm well aware that there are places where I cannot carry and I am comfortable with that and will adhere completely to the rules and regulations set forth. I say all this to ensure that I am not a "gun nut" nor am I "anti gun". I, along with a great deal of the population am somewhere in the middle. I see the importance of them but also know there are issues that need to be addressed, but will not get into that.

My question involves what type of gun would be most useful to me. My desire is to use an ankle holster. I wear pants 99% of the time ranging from basic dress slacks to jeans. I like to ride my four wheeler as well as hike here on the family farm and surrounding areas where wild animals may present themselves. Mostly snakes, but there are cyotes, bear, and even bobcats at times. My first impulse is always to move away from the danger, no harm, no foul, but it's not always possible. So, my carrying would be more for wild animals and the danger they pose as opposed to other people. However, I do intend to carry out in the "general public" area. This does not include the courthouse, federal buildings, schools or anything of that nature. I do work at a school and have absolutely zero intention of EVER carrying it to school (unless of course a law is passed for teachers to be armed, but that's another issue all together).

So, with the desire to carry in the general public for protection purposes only with the hopes of never, ever using it as well as carrying on my own land for protection against the many venomous snakes and other animals that may pose a threat, I wish to ask what would be the best choice?

I don't want something heavy or large. I want something that will be practically "not there" yet forceful enough to do the job that is intended. I realize I could easily carry a sidearm here on my own land with a regular belt holster but I don't want to have to have a different gun for every occasion, I want something versatile yet unobtrusive.

I'm not looking for high powered, blow the biggest hole possible type thing, just something that will do the job that needs to be done. I am very accurate and comfortable with my ability and don't need "overkill". A 22 with alternating snake shot would probably suffice, but I'm willing to go a bit larger. I don't want to get in the 44 range as I feel that is more than I need. I'm not a tiny woman, I'm cornfed
but not super-sized either.

I presently have a 22 revolver, a 22 rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun and a 38 revolver (I like the old western type guns, my dad was a "cowboy type"
). Of course none of these are suited for ankle holsters

What are the choices I have and which would be best for my given situation?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I would say a compact .380 would be sufficiently powerful enough, yet small enough for an ankle holster.

edit on 27-1-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: puncutation

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thank you! Zaphod in chat suggested the same. Perhaps that is what I need to research as the likely possiblity.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

There are some decent .380s out there. The Tauras Pt-738 is a decnt choice for compact carry. Its a 6+1, Double action only hammer fired(internal hammer) pistol. Its adequate for close range self defense and easy to operate. If you want something with a little more power, there are a few decent choices in 9mm. The Ruger LC9. Good weapon, just a heavy trigger and the gun has a lot of safeties on it. The Tauras Pt-709 slim is decent and easy to operate. The Bersa BP9cc is my personal choice though. 8+1, small, light, compact, no external safety and a great trigger.
As for the ankle holster- DONT, The extra time needed to draw from an ankle holster could mean the difference between life and death or safety and injury. Get a decent in the waistband holster. Very concealable and easy access.
Good luck and best wishes with your CCW and may you have it and never need it.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JarheadFidelis

Awesome!! Thank you for the many possiblities!!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JarheadFidelis
Get a decent in the waistband holster. Very concealable and easy access.

That is what I use to carry my sub-compact 9mm Glock. Very comfortable most of the time and keeps the gun right up against your body so as not to make such a large bulge out of the side of your shirt.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Yep, thats how I carry! Easy access and nobody is the wiser.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You might want to check out the Ruger LCP and LC9, both subcompact double action only pistols.
Another cheap but still good alternative is a keltec PF9, the also have a .32 auto model that's nice and small.
Colt mustang might be another contender.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions!!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

I'm going with Asktheanimals on this one and say a .32 auto. It's small enough to wear comfortably in an ankle holster and fits nicely in your purse as well. It will definitely kill a snake, probably just wound a coyote or bobcat unless you hit the head or heart but will run them off for sure. I carry one when I'm working in the yard (lots of venomous snakes).

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'd trust my life to a pointy stick that was rotten and cracked before I'd trust it to a Kel-Tec. Especially the PF9. Calling it a piece of junk would be a compliment.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
ok... I can't decide if I like this or if it makes me angry.

As far as target shooting or killing snakes, they "younger" side of me says it's "cute" and interesting.

But for CCW, it looks like a "toy" or something and I don't like the feeling that comes from it.

The "older" side of me says guns are very serious and not to be taken lightly. It bothers me that they make them in pretty colors for people who may have children around who would be tempted to "play with the pretty toy"

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

I bought my wife that very same weapon for X-mas. Also got her a pink and black inside the waistband holster to match. She loves it. Its simple, accurate at self defense range, light, small and easy to conceal. A .380 at 10 feet with a good hollow point/self defense ammunition is just as effective as a 9mm or .45.
As for the color and it being "cute". Well, its a buying point. Yes, children may be attracted to it because of this. Especially young girls. But there is no reason, ever, for your weapon to be out of your control and available to ANYONE other than the owner.
Our children are none the wiser about our weapons. If they are not concealed on our bodies, they are locked away in the safe. Its just that simple.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JarheadFidelis

I guess I'm just old fashioned in a lot of ways. I'm going to go with metallic or black and "menacing" looking. I know it's all psychological, but it'll make me feel better

top topics

join