It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightning Linked to Headaches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I know from my husband's own experience to weather changes, that it can have an affect on the body at times. I always call him a walking barometer due to the fact when the pressure changes [usually signs of storm coming] his head will get stuffed up from the pressure and he'll usually get a headache.

So when I read that a study had been done on lightning and the participants kept journals of the experiment during this process, I thought some might find it interesting.

According to this article, Lightning Linked to Onset of Headache, Migraines, the location where lightning struck within 25 miles of participant's homes as well as the magnitude and polarity of lightning current was recorded. They used mathematical models to determine if the lightning itself was the cause of the increased frequency of headaches or whether it could be attributed to other weather factors encountered with thunderstorms.

"There are a number of ways in which lightning might trigger headaches," he says. "Electromagnetic waves emitted from lightning could trigger headaches. In addition, lightning produces increases in air pollutants like ozone and can cause release of fungal spores that might lead to migraine.

"This study gives some insight into the tie between headaches or migraines, lightning and other meteorologic factors," says Geoffrey Martin. "However, the exact mechanisms through which lightning and/or its associated meteorologic factors trigger headache are unknown, although we do have speculations. Ultimately, the effect of weather on headache is complex, and future studies will be needed to define more precisely the role of lightning and thunderstorms on headache."

Nothing is substantiated by these findings but it proves that there is definitively a link between lightning and the possibility of it causing headaches.

If any one out there notices that they have a headache next time a storm comes, the lightning just might be the culprit.
Or maybe as with my husband, the pressure itself is to blame.

edit on 25-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well hell, this thread was a complete dud
Sorry folks, nothing to see here, move along. [sigh]

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The headaches could be from the booming of the thunder that travels a long way ahead of the storm also. I think it is from resanonce in the subsound range that is below our hearing threshold. I know electromagnetics can trigger headaches as can the northern lights. I did learn more from this thread, like associating the electromagnetics of lightning to manmade electromagnetics. I get headaches before a storm myself, I can't stop those headaches, there is no cure I have found yet. I get them in winter also, I suppose barametric pressure is related to the resonance frequency the same as thunder is.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Its a real occurence the weather and headache connection. I have a friend x who feels a sinus headache come on when storms are incoming and I figured it may have been due to changes. In air pressure. After reading about the ethmoid bone in the human skull and it's magnetite content and the proximity of that bone to the location of the "sinus" headache, I figure those headaches to be related maybe even caused by the same lightning inducing conditions present in the offending storm clouds. Literally the electrical conditions of the atmosphere inducing someckind of small electric like pulsation right next to someone's sinus cavity. ... interfering or annoying the nerves Jernearby creating the brain interpreted sensation of a "sinus" headache.... Not to say all. Sinus headaches are storm or weather related but it could be a useful sense to those in need of protection from lightning.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
A lot of plants will release pollen into the leading edge of a stormfront, it gives me a sinus headache.

My sis-in-law has to take benadryl then or have allergic reactions.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Honestly, went from a 'dry' mid-western state to a west coast 'wet' state and we feel MUCH worse here! My son and hubby are human barometric guages due to arthritis and other health conditions with NO lightning whatsoever.
Don't know if that helps and thanks for the article, but I would have believed it had we not moved here. There has to be another source besides lightneing.
EM stuff BTW.....is almost unbearable here for us. Thought it was just me until hubby and son complained of the same issues...again, no lightneing involved.....just 10 months of rain and overcast conditions.

NO....NOT a wasted thread..... thanks for bringing this up.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Solar activity is also connected to headaches.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by palmalBlue

Honestly, went from a 'dry' mid-western state to a west coast 'wet' state and we feel MUCH worse here! My son and hubby are human barometric guages due to arthritis and other health conditions with NO lightning whatsoever.

The dampness is definitely not good for arthritis.
Sorry to hear that they are feeling worse.....

Thanks~
snarky

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Im pretty sure lightening gave this guy a bit of headache.

edit on 26-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

top topics

join