It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Council Member Despot Gets Owned! - Tries Throwing Out War Vet With CCW Permit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

S&F my friend.

A rare win for law and common sense. I wish that even a small percentage of UK citizens had such a reasonable and mature attitude on this subject.

I think the guy who walked should be disciplined for leaving his post. I can see an awful future where the anti gun crowd begin stating guns are against their religious beliefs, and therefore people in the same room as them must be disarmed.

There's often fighting and bitching between US and UK members (including myself), but I still view every American as a brother/sister and when TSHTF as far as I'm concerned we're in it together and we'll be rooting for you as much as I hope you'll be rooting for us.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This video is, on a small scale, exactly what is happening across this country right now, on a grand scale. This so eloquently sums it up, that no other words are needed.

This.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Its a sad truth that most in power, no matter where they are, dont stand by the oath they took. From police officers all the way up to the people writing the laws.

Its good to see someone in authority stand by their oath

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Awesome video. I'm glad the majority of this city government understood their positions and the oath they made. I don't get why the bald guy ran away though. I don't think it was because he feared for his life. If he did, he would've ran away without sitting around to do a vote on the fact. My guess is embarrassment that not everyone fell in line with his unconstitutional stance.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I lived in Oak Harbor for a year while stationed at the NAS. I'm impressed with the mayor.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
After the meeting, the mayor refused to comment but did agree to pose for a picture.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hmm
The number of attendees seemed to shrink massively though
When the vet took the stand there was rows of people
When the camera covered the attendees again, but a handful remain

Edit
22 attendees at the start
6 mins later ........5 !

edit on 25-1-2013 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Man I so want to cheer for that Mayor and the council members that voted in favore of the gun owner. Also loved the little dig from the Mayor about the oath they have to take. Good job. Everyone of them should be re-elected.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I think it’s awesome - in my State (Missouri) we have pretty liberal gun laws but even with a CCW any meeting of the civic or local government is one of the specific places mentioned as a no carry zone. Along with schools and churches.

This is with exception of course if you are a member of the council or employee of the government in which case your right is retained. This is right out of Animal Farm IMO.

One can ask the chair/mayor or presiding member and he/she can grant you permission to exercise your right...

I find that all to conflict very much with my understanding of the word "right".

I am working with my local representative to have this part changed. With some success locally, I have permission from the Sheriff to carry in his office and the court house and from the Mayor for city hall; but the point is once vetted why do I need other layers of permission.

I will send them this video for their consideration of how this was handled politely and properly and within the law.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I don't see how he got "owned" or why people are upset that he left.

He has an opinion and he stood up for what he believes in. He doesn't believe a council meeting should be a place where people are armed, I agree with him.

He didn't make a scene, he didn't do anything illegal or improper. He made a motion, it failed, so he removed himself from the situation to stand up for his beliefs.

I love how pro gun people are trying to vilify this man for standing up for what he believes...isn't that what you guys say you are doing?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Ok that was just awesome... its surprising that this took place in WA, the past couple of decades they have been leaning to stricter and stricter gun comtrol laws. But that mayor and the rest of the was just awesome...

Grim

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I for one shot the mayor a quick email saying thanks for standing up for all of our 2nd amendment rights. We need to vocally support these great leaders, even if we can't support them with a vote!

[email protected]

just that easy.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
I don't see how he got "owned" or why people are upset that he left.

He got "owned" because the motion was soundly defeated on the basis of the law.

I for one am mad that he left because he is being paid by the taxpayers to be present at the proceedings. He didn't like the result of the motion so he chose to ignore his responsibilities and leave...

He has an opinion and he stood up for what he believes in. He doesn't believe a council meeting should be a place where people are armed, I agree with him.

He didn't make a scene, he didn't do anything illegal or improper. He made a motion, it failed, so he removed himself from the situation to stand up for his beliefs.

Then he should resign so the citizens don't have to pay him for missing meetings because he didn't like the outcome of his motion.

Does he leave every time he doesn't get his way?

Sounds like a wussy to me...shouldn't be a leader of anything IMO.

I love how pro gun people are trying to vilify this man for standing up for what he believes...isn't that what you guys say you are doing?

I respect his right to believe whatever he wants; however, he doesn't have the right to disregard his duty because he has butt hurt...
edit on 25/1/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

He got "owned" because the motion was soundly defeated on the basis of the law.

I for one am mad that he left because he is being paid by the taxpayers to be present at the proceedings. He didn't like the result of the motion so he chose to ignore his responsibilities and leave

And apparently a lot of the taxpayers at the meeting left right along with him...seems like more people agreed with him than you are trying to pass off. Another member counted, 22 people at the meeting at the start of the video, 5 people after the councilman walked out after the armed man refused to leave.

Then he should resign so the citizens don't have to pay him for missing meetings because he didn't like the outcome of his motion.

Does he leave every time he doesn't get his way?

Sounds like a wussy to me...shouldn't be a leader of anything IMO.

If you look at the people that left when he did, I would say he is a pretty damn good leader. The fact that the majority of people attending the meeting left with him suggests to me that it is those that voted against the motion that aren't doing the will of the people.

Seems like this thread is backfiring on you guys.

And btw, Another member posted this video in a different thread as an example to why guns shouldn't be allowed in council meetings.

edit on 25-1-2013 by xedocodex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This councilman that walked out isn't even on the same planet as everyone else. Must we forget that you don't even need a CCW permit to carry a gun? Although it's the legal way I've known of several people in the past to illegally carry a gun without a CCW and they probably still continue to do so.
A lot of people follow the law but a lot of them do not. The person that took the time to go out, take the classes, and pay to have their CCW are the ones I'm not fearful of. They are the ones showing that they are willing to follow the law. In fact it makes them a hell of a lot less scarier than the ones who just put a gun into their pocket or purse without bothering to even have a permit.

It's people like this councilman who fear others with guns most likely because he knows he's the one they would use it on. The mayor seemed almost prepared for this disagreement so I'm guessing the councilman is known to ruffle feathers. No wonder he is afraid. He's probably pissed many a person off.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
He wouldn't have said that if it was a cop with a weapon,
not much difference in my eyes.
It amazes me to see the gall of some people.He's the kind of guy
that would hide behind a child to protect himself.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
LOL

I love how the Mayor seems to take pleasure in rubbing his oath of office in the face of the two Jack ass council members attempting take the guys rights away.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
Hmm
The number of attendees seemed to shrink massively though
When the vet took the stand there was rows of people
When the camera covered the attendees again, but a handful remain

Edit
22 attendees at the start
6 mins later ........5 !

You are only assuming it was 6 minutes later.

When council member Campbell raised his hand, he wasn't waving to the departing member, but was raising his hand to be heard, and states that he'd like to make a comment. At that point there's a lapse in footage, and it picks up again with Mayor Dudley speaking.

I'll go out on a limb here, and assume that the mayor doesn't normally keep the framed oath laying face up on his workspace, so any time it took to retrieve it also isn't shown.

It makes more sense, to me, that where it picks up is actually later on when most business has already been conducted, and is backed up by the motion to adjourn at the end.

Assuming the attendees scattered at the mention of a gun is a bit ignorant, although some, here, would prefer you thought that.

I, and others, (having lived in Washington for 10 years, with many friends from Oak Harbor) applaud the common sense approach in which the Mayor and other council members conducted themselves.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

And apparently a lot of the taxpayers at the meeting left right along with him...seems like more people agreed with him than you are trying to pass off. Another member counted, 22 people at the meeting at the start of the video, 5 people after the councilman walked out after the armed man refused to leave.

Two points.
Point one, while it is obviously true that many of the people there left during the course of the video. You have know way of knowing why they left. I could argue that they all left not with him, but because of him. That they disagreed with his attempt to strip this man of his rights and left in disgust. I'm not arguing that, because I don't know why they left, it seems pretty obvious in the video that the event was winding down and maybe they just left as they were finished or had other plans. Their leaving doesn't enforce any point for or against.

Point two, the "armed man" as you refer to him didn't refuse to leave, he was never asked to leave, so his continued presence doesn't constitute refusal to leave.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

True, true
You at no point hear any folding chairs being packed away and people leaving
But none the less interesting to see how many stayed to the conclusion of this event
You assume my comment was directed in the direction of look how many leave upon discovery of a concealed carrier

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join