It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15,000 crocs escape from South African farm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This would definitely be scary for the surrounding areas. Perhaps the 'Gator Boys' should travel to SA

JOHANNESBURG: Around 15,000 crocodiles have escaped from a farm in South Africa amid heavy rains and flooding, local daily Beeld reported Thursday.

The predators sprung from the Rakwena Crocodile Farm in the far north of the country when owners were forced to open the gates to prevent a storm surge.

A number have since been recaptured, but at least half remain on the loose, scattered far and wide.

One turned up on a school rugby pitch 120 kilometres (75 miles) away.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't like to walk the dog round there lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Quick!

The handbags are escaping!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Me and my boys love watching the Gator Boys, they should go to SA for sure. Your clip says 7,500 gators still on the loose...thats like two seasons worth of the show lol.

Do you have a link to the article btw?

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
They will be a threat to many children and adults in that area and they need to be caught. That is one scarey thing to happen and I wonder if tptb are doing this on purpose.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
at least it's their home range and not an evasive species. they will head for water and or die trying to find it so i don't think they will be a danger for long in any villages unless they have a water hole of some kind.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

There are some wild crocodiles in that area still, so not a complete surprise for the local population. And it may give a well needed boost to the natural croc population. I'm sure no matter how hard they try they won't get all of them.

Africa still has quite a bit of wildness left, this will help it fade a little bit slower

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
On another note. 15000 crocs gives you an indication of the market size. If you outlawed sale of crocodile skin, the farms would close and crocs would be extinct in the wild a few years later.

Sure you can poach a wild croc, but in price you're not going to compete with the farms.

Makes you realise that the solution to the Rhino problem is allowing controlled, certified and trackable sale of farmed horns. It will only take 50 years of breeding or some genetic fiddling for small well tempered Rhino with huge fast growing horns you can harvest every year!

Et voila, safe wild Rhino.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Here is a link:
news.discovery.com...

Those Gator Boys you mentioned are welcome to come and capture our crocs. That should be worth a laugh - crocodiles are a bit more of a handful than alligators.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Better round them up...and make it snappy.

sorry.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Sorry. Forgot the link

LINK

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Here is a link:news.discovery.com...Those Gator Boys you mentioned are welcome to come and capture our crocs. That should be worth a laugh - crocodiles are a bit more of a handful than alligators.
Humans are still the most dangerous creatures

new topics

top topics

join