It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baldness Cure? Probably Not. My Experience.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Baldness Cure? – Probably not.

Halted my hair thinning or falling out? – Time will tell.

This is my experience of thinning hair on the top of my head. Thought i would share with those of you that are interested.

Brief history:
At 48 years of age I would consider myself to have a good head of hair, but definitely thinner on the top than the sides or back. I suppose that if I am honest losing my hair completely would damage my self confidence so I decided to do some research and see if I can at least keep what I have.
When I was 18 years old my Sister was cutting my long hair when she announced, “I think your going bald”. This was shock and awe I can tell you. From that day and for the next 30 years I never combed or washed my hair, true story.

My hair never got dirty or matted, it seemed to clean itself. I believe this is why I have as much hair as I do now. As it is thinning I have to believe it is age related and I don’t take as good a care of my body as I should. Lots of nicotine and alcohol going in there, but hey lifes there to enjoy.
So, I decided to see what was available to keep the hair I had through the rest of my life if I could.

Options:
Wig? – No thanks.
Comb over? – Definately no thanks.
Surgery? – No thanks.
Rogain etc? – No thanks.
Laser comb? - No thanks.
Shaved head? – Good option if I thinned any more but I have a stranged shaped head! So no, if I can help it.

We seem to be left with a natural option, although I am sure your aware of new stem cell research growing new hair on mice. Its probably years away from release, if it works at all.
Searching the web, you tube etc one a few things kept cropping up in various articles. All mixed with different snake oils if I may say that, but interesting non the less.

Keratin. Derived from the skin of onions.
Onion juice. Obviously from onions.
Honey. In its natural form.
Garlic. Again, in its natural form.

So remembering when I was young my Gran saying that she would drink the juice of the vegetables she had just cooked because it had all the goodness in it, I decided to mix these components and boil them.
Stunk the house out I can tell you. My plan was to boil all the goodness from these items into the water, let it cool and use as a hair rinse. Make sense?

The snake oil mixture:
1 x Onion.
1 x Skin of the same onion.
1 x Garlic clove.
1 x Teaspoon of natural honey.
Into the pan and filled with boiled water from the kettle. Turned on the gas and simmered boiling for fifteen minutes or so then drained the juice into two glass containers, didn’t want plastic contaminating the mix.
The whole mix cost around £3.00.
Left to cool for the day.

The next day I poured the contents of one of the jars over my head in the bathroom, damped my head so it wasn’t dripping off me and left to dry. Surprisingly there wasn’t a nasty smell at all.
After 30 minutes or so my hair was about dry and was a little sticky so I ran my fingers through it a few times and the stickyness (If thats a word) disappeared.
For two weeks now I have been doing the same routine of using the rinse and making more, using again..etc.
Noticed any change?
Definitely have not noticed new hair growing.
Does my existing hair feel different?
Hand on heart my hair feels full, thicker and stronger.
I can honestly say that within two weeks there has been a noticeable change in the hair that was thinner, on the crown of my head.

Will I be keeping the ritual up?
Definitely.

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. If you want to try it the cost is minimal and as these are all natural products I can see no harm in trying.

Just on a side note. I do also drink the juice once its cooled down. Not very nice. 

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Better off just shaving your pubes off and distributing them over your head, evenly so it doesnt look too weird..

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jehova620

as a happy baldy i wish you the best of luck with your witches-brew, at the very least you have developed a nice DIY conditioner and possibly even saved money on years worth of hats

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

a friend of mine on once scraped up the dog hair off of his carpet and made a mohawk out of it for me. it looked rather special on me if i dont say so myself. sadly though i dont have the photo anymore
the good old days, eh?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Already went bald at age 16-17.
Sure, especially at that age when you still are a bit busy with your 'looks', it isn't nice.

But I don't care 1 bit about it now, I even shaved off all my hair and luckely my skull looks nice.

And its nice that you don't have to go to the barber or just being busy with your hair every morning, it's great!

So just saying; get used to it, not big deal.

edit on 23-1-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jehova620
From that day and for the next 30 years I never combed or washed my hair, true story.

My hair never got dirty or matted, it seemed to clean itself. I believe this is why I have as much hair as I do now.

That's kinda gross dude. And hard to believe. Did you keep it in a butch cut?

This is all very aesthetic. Just seems to me to be going to great lengths just for looks. 30 years? Really? Especially knowing there are toupee's you can buy if push comes to shove. They have a dual purpose you know. A proper fitting one can make your appearance more "healthy" looking and you can bait and switch different one's to make different looks for yourself.

It's either that or do the Donald Trump comb-over.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Well if nothing else the smell of your tonic will keep people at a far enough distance from you that they won't be able to notice that you are thinning on top.

I wouldn't worry about it, embrace the baldy.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hey, this is an interesting idea, but I was wondering, what if you were to make a meal with the same ingredients (say a soup, stew, or pasta sauce(?)) and maybe eat that, say, twice a week in conjunction with your topical application, maybe it would help new hair to grow AND keep it feeling good.

I think that may be the longest sentence I've ever written - do I get positive points for that, or negative points

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by creatives

Well if nothing else the smell of your tonic will keep people at a far enough distance from you that they won't be able to notice that you are thinning on top.

I wouldn't worry about it, embrace the baldy.

Yep, fair point.

As i said, i do have a good head of hair still but thinner on top compared to the side and back.

If it goes i really am not that bothered other than a skin head really doesnt suit me, i have a funny shaped head

Just gonna plug away with the hair rinse, it can do no harm me thinks.

Posted it for a bit of info to interested parties.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My hair is turning loose instead of turning gray lol

It used to bother me cause my hair is so thick except where its falling and I grow a Taliban like beard
In less than a month but I have adjusted and while sometimes I grow it out a bit I usually shave my head
With clips I have never used the BIC treatment so to speak the minuses are you loose body heat faster
And if you bump your head the scrape or bruise is much more obvious

On the plus side my sock hat stays on way better in winter and I have a great collection of hats

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
First i dont believe you didnt wash your hair for thirty years,if it is true....clatty you know what.
Second i dont believe you didnt stink of onions after washing your hair with onion soup,thats if you actually did.
Now a question...are you yanking our collective chain?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
IM NOT BALD. ITS A SOLAR PANEL FOR A SEX MACHINE

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Better off just shaving your pubes off and distributing them over your head, evenly so it doesnt look too weird..

I tried that, but it itched for a week and my hair is not curly so it just looked wrong.

So I got a couple of friends to donate some public hair, now I don’t itch but I have half ginger (red head) and half black hair.

Still looks wired but not as wired as all the itching.

PS: I am joking,

PPS: my girlfriend thinks my male pattern baldness is sexyyyyy….

edit on 23-1-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The cure for baldness is certain death.

Yeah, I said it...DEATH...and the certain kind.,,,not the 'check his pulse, I think he's still breathing' variety of uncertain death.

At 30, my impassable rainforest of glorious follicles began to thin away like an Amazonian road project. As the months passed into years, the number of hairstyles I could choose from dwindled down into a choice of three; numbers 1, 2 or 3 with the shaver. For shame I was called 'kiwi-head.'

I turned to the bottle and started drinking. Under cover of darkness, I'd slip through the quiet night streets and gaze longingly at the black and white hair-style posters in the windows of barber shops.

As the hair rapidly thinned out and retreated from my face, I realised that only time-travel could solve the problem and return me to my rightful place in the queue at the local barber-shop. Sure, I saved money on shampoo, wax and putty, but it wasn't enough. It wasn't enough...

I haunted the university libraries and stalked the aisles after they'd closed to search through the research. Mail-order cures didn't work. Oceans and oceans of lotions and potions left me with huge bills and the hairs kept falling and failing like the dreams of wise-guys trying to make a buck on the tough streets. And like a wise-guy, it became necessary to kill to succeed in the dream...

My maternal grandfather had to die. He had to be stopped from passing on his faulty gene to me and my hairline. That SoB had to be stopped!

So I waited...and watched. Hour after hour clicking the refresh button on science websites waiting for the invention of a time-machine. Waiting for my time to come....the embers of my shame and fury keeping me warmer in the cold wind than the isolated hairs on my head. Tough times.

Then Stephen Hawkins spoiled it all with his 'Grandfather Paradox.' That SoB, with his full head of hair, warned that if we kill our grandparents...we would never live. Dammit and damn his brown locks....my dream of hair was over.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Kandinsky, that really made me laugh out loud.

Get the onions in the pot man.

To the guy who didnt believe i didnt wash my hair since the age of 18. It is honestly true. I am happy for my Wife to call you to confirm. And i can also honestly say it is never greasy, smelly or matted.

I wet it in the morning to get rid of the bed hair look, but thats it.

Got me two jars ready for the next two days.

Really, my hair feels thicker after two weeks. NO NEW HAIR growing as i said.

Give it a go.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It's easier to not be so vain and just let it go.

new topics

top topics

join