It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is NOT a Scene From Blade Runner

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
judging for those pictures, china is years ahead of n.america.

apart from the smog, it looks like those buildings are 50 years in the future.

detroit looks like a war zone.

Spot on. Plus the building in the second picture was in flames during constructions, from memory it burned more than 24 hours and the steel did not collapse....(hint hint)

Back to topic: air pollution in china is really terrible. especially in winter, some days the street lights are on even during daytime and you still cant see the other side of the street.

A lot of people using face masks, which adds to the spooky post-apocalyptic feel.
And a lot of people die of respiratory problems. From memory it s even cause nr one.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

The Chinese are reaping what they sow.
They let progressives run the country with complete control and this is what they sow. The Chinese Government could care less about peoples health they are nothing more then cattle.

When will the Chinese people finally wake up and say enough? Are they so brainwashed they can not see the toxic fog all around them?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

As environmentally hazardous that looks, it's still kind of cool. Though I have to say in the original book, such conditions were caused by excessive fallout due to World War Terminus. They never really explained what happened in the movie.

Also, it looks like China might have spinners eventually (courtesy of Volkswagen):

Chinese Hovercar

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
funny.... when I look at google images with the words: "beijing china", I don't see too much smog. Am I looking at a slanted view / propagandist pictures?

when I look at google images with the words: "beijing smog china", it's a totally different world, even with some of the same buildings in the pictures. weird.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

do yourself a favour and watch blade runner..way ahead of its time, what a good movie

wow the future is here..crazy picture, glad i dont live in bejing

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Please tell me those pictures weren't taken during the daytime.

For reference, the end scene:

Reminds me of that old Eagles song "In The City" for some reason.

On a side note and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that the only times you see Harrison Ford eating in that movie, he's eating Chinese take-out.

Go figure.

edit on 21-1-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: Embedding

edit on 21-1-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22

I see your point now, sorry but I havent seen Blade Runner and cant watch vids at work. I agree that pollution is getting worse and worse, and worse.....oh and worse.

You are absolutely right! The future could very well be here!

You got to be #ting us!! You havn't seen Blade Runner?....

edit on 21-1-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Blade Runner is the greatest Sci-Fi of all-time, got the director's cut for Christmas. Awesome film.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
that first photo is incredible. it truly does look like a frame from bladerunner. but it's real, and it's now. amazing. imagine our cities in 100 years time (should we make it that far).

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmac359
Blade Runner is the greatest Sci-Fi of all-time, got the director's cut for Christmas. Awesome film.

agreed. it's superb in every way. i have the metal box set (with hologram).

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Totally understood what you were trying convey. Prolific, like so many other movies back in the day are now proving in this current day and age.

Thanks for the post. And.... awesome movie!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Communism.

Also, in the Cyberpunk vein....Don't forget Chiba City, boys and girls.
edit on 21-1-2013 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I see your point now, sorry but I havent seen Blade Runner ......

You really must see it....one of my favorite movies, the visuals are so good.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I see your point now, sorry but I havent seen Blade Runner and cant watch vids at work. I agree that pollution is getting worse and worse, and worse.....oh and worse.

He hasn't seen Blade Runner?

* SHUN *

And the pictures in the original post do indeed look like a Blade Runner future -- even the architecture of the buildings is spot on.

Strange how such beauty arises from such an ugly cause. A friend of mine was in Beijing a few years ago, and he told me the smog is unbelievable -- and their "approved guide" pointed to it with pride, saying that it was a mark of their highly developed industry.

Anybody remember George Bush's Clean Air Initiative? (more
)
edit on 21-1-2013 by wolfbitch because: corrected closing parens making up an unintended emoti

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Think of the respiratory problems waiting for these people.It must cut years off their life spans.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Blade Runner is the stuff!!! ( everything is censored) What do you cyber punks know??!!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

I swear that sounds like what America is saying.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

When you look at google image search beijing you probably will not find much smog pictures.

This is probably due to the fact that photographers prefer pictures whit a view. On normal winterdays there is so much smog in Beijing, that you see, well smog. The situation is really that grim that streetlights are on during the day and visibility is down to 50meters.

Speaking of propaganda: of course the chinese gov is into propaganda, so before the olympics in beijing they had programs that they closed factories down and limited traffic. They cut traffic in half with regulations that on certain days only cars with even numberplates are allowed to drive, on other days only cars with uneven numbers.

In general the situation is really bad. And beijing is not the worst city. In the province of shanxi the situation is even worse.

The WHO has statistics on the worst polluted cities worldwide. In the top 20 there are 15 chinese cities.
Respiratory diseases are the number one killer in china.

Reasons for the pollution are: around 80%percent of the energy produced comes from coal.
The economy is boosting (they produce about everything now for the whole world) and politics are focused on a strong economy, health concerns are just ignored. It s the same situation like during the industrialization in england.

Adding to that, some of the worst things i ve seen there: in rural regions there are no heating systems in the houses and very bad insulation. How they heat? Normally they put a put a pot of burning coal under the table in the living room. Now chimney!!!!
So in order to not die from carbonmonoxyd and smoke, they open the windows! Which is a vicious circle, the more open windows themore cold comes in, the more you have to burn coals, the more air you need....

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Lots of professors use blade runner as an example because it is a likely representatio of future societies/ciity life. Very dense populations, dirty/lots of pollution, and high asian population.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolfbitch

Originally posted by Xtrozero

He hasn't seen Blade Runner?

* SHUN *

And the pictures in the original post do indeed look like a Blade Runner future -- even the architecture of the buildings is spot on.

Strange how such beauty arises from such an ugly cause. A friend of mine was in Beijing a few years ago, and he told me the smog is unbelievable -- and their "approved guide" pointed to it with pride, saying that it was a mark of their highly developed industry.

Years back, the Chinese used to bicycle to work en masse. Not any more.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join