It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 12-21-2012 lost interest in alternative theories i am now Skeptic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I am long time visitor of ATS since 2004 though i was not very active in participating or replying to threads, i was very active and avid reader visiting every day reading most of the topics created here. but all these days i was more of a believer in UFOlogy, Paranormals, Doomsday and Alternative Science etc etc than skeptic, starting with blossom good child i was expecting atleast i will see some hard evidence during the course of time here but to my surprise nothing came true and totally enlightened when 2012 prediction passed by.

Now i believe that there is no UFO's, GOD, EVIL etc, everything i believe now is wrt to SCIENCE.

What do you guys think?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
if you had just dug deeper you would have known the 2012 BS was made up and retracted by known hoaxers. No history to it what so ever.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
It is a good thing to be skeptical. A real skeptic looks at all the info, evidence and makes a judgement. That doesn't mean to be closed minded and say there is no such a thing as Aliens, etc. No one should believe everything they see, hear or read on the internet.. Weigh and use reason and logic.. And be open to possibilities..

Healthy skepticism is a GOOD thing.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by snowlord

Maybe that is what they wanted you to believe?
Maybe they knew everybody would lose interest and now they are heavily criticising conspiracy theroists in the main stream media?
Maybe you are following the exact path that is paved for you?
Or maybe im heavily paranoid and everybody is out to get us?

Who knows.

You decide.

The red pill
Or the blue pill.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
if 2012 was the corner stone of your belief or interest in their being something "behind the veil" as such then i would suggest that you need to look a lot deeper, just my 2p's worth

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I think there is a huge disparity between what we want to be and what actually is.

The world would be a much more exciting place (or destroyed) if just 5% of the stuff posted here was true.

I personally have no belief in doomsday prophecies, but I like reading about them. I'm open minded about UFOs, but I like reading about them. I don't agree with religion, but I enjoy debating it. I do believe in science, and probability.

Now, even the stuff I don't believe in, I wonder...what if?

Just cause I don't believe in it doesn't make it untrue.

Like the x-files tag line states...I want to believe...I just need the proof that renders something probable.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Welcome to the smart side, try to drag others with you.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

it seems you were had, 2012 conspiracy was used to get people to stop thinking out side the box and continue living 9-5. once tptb gets the majority to live as sheep it will be much easier to rule the heard, just a thought.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowlord
I am long time visitor of ATS since 2004 though i was not very active in participating or replying to threads, i was very active and avid reader visiting every day reading most of the topics created here. but all these days i was more of a believer in UFOlogy, Paranormals, Doomsday and Alternative Science etc etc than skeptic, starting with blossom good child i was expecting atleast i will see some hard evidence during the course of time here but to my surprise nothing came true and totally enlightened when 2012 prediction passed by.

Now i believe that there is no UFO's, GOD, EVIL etc, everything i believe now is wrt to SCIENCE.

What do you guys think?

The only thing you should believe in, is YOURSELF. All the other stuff is just a distraction. Believe in yourself, and then you will be able to see things, as they really are.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Personally I would like to congratulate you on your newfound skepticism.

I have seen a few people reply that "this might be just what they want you to believe", that it is closed-minded of you or something along those lines.
But I think they misunderstand the concept of skepticism. In fact, believing anything without evidence, or in any way asserting things, to the extend that people often do here on ATS, is being closed-minded.

Here is a link for an excellent video, which explains it better than I can. At this moment the video starts some 7 minutes in, at a specific part which explains how skeptical thinking results in an open mind. But I would urge anyone who has 10 minutes to watch the entire thing.

Open-mindedness
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I prefer to feel my way through life, is that so bad? Being a skeptic on every subject that can't be scientifically proven is pretty dull. I don't have a problem believing something until I discover I'm mistaken. Believing means committing yourself and that commitment can often lead to some deep explorations which a skeptic would probably pass over. Isn't life to be explored and experienced rather than just thought about?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shema

I prefer to feel my way through life, is that so bad?

Yes, I can be pretty bad, if the parameters by which you feel your way are faulty. This can be due to misconception, mental illness, indoctrination and such, and can result in all kinds of conflicts.

Being a skeptic on every subject that can't be scientifically proven is pretty dull.

I would argue that both approaches to life could be both dull and exciting. But not being skeptical about things, my cause you spend a lot of time doing something, with the intention of achieving something, which will never happen because you have been misled.

I don't have a problem believing something until I discover I'm mistaken. Believing means committing yourself and that commitment can often lead to some deep explorations which a skeptic would probably pass over.

Being skeptic means that you question something. Which is undoubtedly more explorative than not questioning anything. Further more, when you commit yourself to something without evidence, it will be harder for you to accept the truth if you are proven wrong. Cause you are committed.

Isn't life to be explored and experienced rather than just thought about?

Being skeptical does not imply that people just think about things. There is nothing purely theoretical about skepticism. Skepticism will push you to explore and experience the world, so that you might be able to verify or disprove a proposed concept.

But people who have already made up their mind and committed themselves to it i.e. closed-minded people. Will often just leave it at that, cause they believe they already know the answer.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Learn from it, learn that you wasted precious life with all that BS.

Get out there and 'live'

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

I suppose I asked for that. Yuck

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

I am not sure what you mean by 'Yuck', but I guess I could have sugarcoated it a bit more.
If you disagree I would love to hear why?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

So you went from one extreme to the other. How is this helpful to you as a thinking person in the least? How about balance instead? How about objectivity? Analyzing all data instead of just what confirms your own world view.

Don't be fooled. Many who claim to be skeptics are not. They are closed minded, lopsided debunkers who scoff at anything that doesn't fit in their neat little paradigm.

A true "skeptic" will look at all sides, and consider all evidence as objectively as possible before making a determination. A skeptic isn't trying to confirm their personal bias.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth

Maybe that is what they wanted you to believe?
Maybe they knew everybody would lose interest and now they are heavily criticising conspiracy theroists in the main stream media?
Maybe you are following the exact path that is paved for you?
Or maybe im heavily paranoid and everybody is out to get us?

Who knows.

You decide.

The red pill
Or the blue pill.

ugh i'm sick of these trite replies of regurgitated thinking. everything is duality with you people. i'm sorry i joined this site

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowlord
]Now i believe that there is no UFO's, GOD, EVIL etc, everything i believe now is wrt to SCIENCE.

What do you guys think?

Science is magic that works.

So far, the evidence seems to show that also, it is the only magic that works. Call em like you see em.
edit on 21-1-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987
reply to post by Shema

I am not sure what you mean by 'Yuck', but I guess I could have sugarcoated it a bit more.
If you disagree I would love to hear why?

Lets just say I prefer to be cryptic occasionally.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Statistically speaking, it's highly unlikely that we are the only planet in the universe which has living beings populating it. You cannot disprove a negative. Whether or not a God exists is irrelevant until hypothesized God makes itself known to us. Good and evil are subjective stances. All of morality is. What is evil to one person may be good to another, or vice-versa. If you were hoping to find an unchanging truth on ATS, you were looking in the wrong place. This is a soap-box for subjective expression; not a platform for objective reasoning.

~ Wandering Scribe

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join