It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help from the masters (or anyone smarter than me) with a power supply.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Hello guys, I bought my current PC about 4 months ago, It is perfect for the things I do on it and gaming, I want to jump into other games which at the moment I am able to run in low setting. I want to be able to run them in high maybe ultra. I already found a video card I want to purchase, but also need to buy a new power supply so I can use the new video card.

The power supply I currently have is - Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches) 300W
I am looking around for the power supply but some of the ones I want are (5.9 x 6.3 x 3.4) looking for a 700w, the depth is 6.3 mine is 5.9, would that on fight in my computer?

and the video card slots -
PCI-Express Generation 2 speed
1 PCI Express x16
3 PCI Express x1

PC Specs - h20000.www2.hp.com... prodTypeId=12454 (i got the A6 - 3650 quad core, with integrated graphics HD 6530D)

Video Cards I want to purchase - www.newegg.com... (OR) www.newegg.com...

if anyone of you could help me out it would be much appreciated, and would love some advice on the video card,
right now I am running LoL with High setting and I get 60FPS, I want to run PlanetSide 2 in high and DayZ in high too, I have BF3 and the FPS are too low for me to play.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
What's your processor and ram?

Sorry no input on your other questions. Except to say either of those cards should be a significant increase.
edit on 19-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

8g ram and 2.6ghz on the proc, haha its cool

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Build or buy another case...no one is interested in towers right now so cases are dirt cheap.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

any idea where I can go to buy one? I hate buying things online unless I have to.

thank for the reply. I am actually thinking about doing that cause of your comment.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It may depend on what city you live in; Tiger direct has them, Best buy might, Radio Shack may be a remote possibility. If you want to build one; check out instructables.com I am sure there's all types there. I was going to build a mineral oil one out of a fish tank and submerge, but I rarely use my tower so I didn't.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
you could also bypass the size issue by doing something wacky like this!!

lifehacker.com...

*edit: nevermind I forgot it was about the power supply :p
edit on 19-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

thanks guess ima go on my mission tomorrow morning.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Those two cards are very good, very pricey but good, going from integrated graphics
to one of those will be a big leap, the power supply issue is one i faced as well,
I would recommend you do what another poster suggested, buy a case that you like
as well, that way you can further expand your system in the future, and the power
supply issue wont be a problem if you do that, plus its just awesome to get a case
that you like, heck ive had the same case for 10 years now, its an awesome blue
full tower with so much room i could practically sleep in it, not god for LAN parties
but hey cant have it all.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ^anubis^

No worries; since you're down with gaming, you might want to eventually move to submerging; you can safely over clock submerged units.
edit on 19-1-2013 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

been on pc games for years but its 2012, upgraded my PC from what used to be the best in 2008 lol now I need some better # than the lazy stock crap that I bought just cause I had money to blow. wanna get my WoW on ultra, its on High and My GW2 on max setting too.....If my girl finds out im spending this much money shes gonna kill me.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

Thanks dude

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
The only advice you could really get on video cards is going to come from NVIDIA and ATI fanboys.
So go with a AMD 7970
Or GTX 680
If you can't afford either of those just go down a series one at a time until you find one you can afford.

When you get more money buy another one and get them in SLI/Xfire

Then latter upgrade your processor and put everything under water and start overclocking. To be honest you can't go wrong with a nice AMD or Nvidia card they both have their ups and downs in different games. Games that have that "Nvidia" logo on start up, guess what card plays it better?
If you want to overclock your cards down the line go with AMD, most Nvidia cards now have a lock on them that set a limit on how high you can clock. But if that is not your concern you could go either way.
But from years of overclocking I can tell you hands down that Intel processors overclock better and perform better clock for clock than AMD chips. But intel chips cost WAAAAAY more than AMD chips. So you have to weigh what you want to do with your wallet.
If gaming is your main concern you just want to focus on having some good ram and a good video card, most games are not to processor intensive, so you can save that for when you think its holding you back.
Now as far as power supplies go, my opinion has always been spend the money on a nice modular power supply with more voltage than you think you will need. It will save you money in the long run, trust me.

new topics

top topics

join