It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My daughter evacuated from holiday camp in Australia (Bushfires)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
As its well known, bushfires are all over the place in Aus atm. My daughter set off last week on a holiday camp and as much as I knew there was a fire in the area where she was heading, I didn't realise I'd be sitting here today wondering whether the 61 kids got out or not. Luckily I found out they were evacuated last night but I still haven't heard anything else. What had me worried is the bushfire is due to cross the only road out of the town they were staying but with that, further down the road more towns are facing more fires..

Licola
Effective: 18/01/13 6:39 AM
Expires: 18/01/13 12:00 PM
Incident Information:
There is a large, fast moving bushfire in the Licola area.
It is travelling towards the Licola Road.
Licola and surrounding areas are now isolated.

This bushfire is out of control.
The fire is now at the Licola Road.
It is now too late to leave Licola.

Right now anyone who has stayed behind or hasn't seen the warning cannot leave. The road heading into the mountains is blocked with the fire having an apparent 8km front. To anyone in that area, my prayers are with you and to my little one, hope you are safe and on your way home....

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I hope your daughter makes it out okay and is safe. Best Wishes to you and your family.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I hope you and your child will be safe! I have always wanted to visit Australia shame to see it under such climate conditions!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Bushfires are an incredibly powerful and scary force.

My old man has been a firefighter since we moved to the country, first with the CFA (Country Fire Authority) and now with the DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment). Sone of the stories he has told us of fighting intense bushfires is enough to make the hair on your arms stand up.

In the early 2000's possibly 03/04 when there were hectic fires on Mt. Hotham and the high country, the little town where I grew up was as dark as night at midday an all of the surrounding hillsides had an orange glow on the horizon.

All the best for your child, sounds like the necessary steps have been taken

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Best luck to anyone in the area and your daughter. I can only imagine the worry you must have right now. It's good to know they evacuated, but you think they would do more to contact parents ASAP so they know WHERE exactly their kids are at any moment. I can imagine she wants to hear your voice for comfort as bad as you want to hear hers.

edit on 17-1-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
I hope you and your child will be safe! I have always wanted to visit Australia shame to see it under such climate conditions!

When I was a boy we called it summer.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
today is going to be a bad day. im in sydney...its 8.30am and its way over 30 already. temp is expected to get to 43 here today and and the bush around here is like a tinder box.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
reply to post by DarknStormy

Best luck to anyone in the area and your daughter. I can only imagine the worry you must have right now. It's good to know they evacuated, but you think they would do more to contact parents ASAP so they know WHERE exactly their kids are at any moment. I can imagine she wants to hear your voice for comfort as bad as you want to hear hers.

edit on 17-1-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

In most bushfires, telecommunications infrastructure is destroyed including mobiile (cell) towers which makes things even more frightful. Aussie bushfires resemble hell itself.

Our native trees (Eucalyptus trees) are full of eucalyptus oil which is highly flammable once a fire is raging.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
today is going to be a bad day. im in sydney...its 8.30am and its way over 30 already. temp is expected to get to 43 here today and and the bush around here is like a tinder box.

Hey Bella! Long time no see! Get the hell outta there way before it gets anywhere near you and stay safe! Remember that it's not the fire front itself that kills, it's the heat as it's approaching and the ember storms creating spot fires well ahead of the main front.

Having prepared for many such occasions I wish all you guys in NSW the best, scary times.

P.S we're only expecting 30 in Melbourne today which will feel like a pleasant Autumn day in comparison..
edit on 17/1/13 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I really hope your child is safe, its getting really bad south east Vic, multible towns under threat right now. Evacs been happening since early morning. Its a dreadful situation.

I have my fingers crossed this change they are expecting just doesnt cause more problems. So many holiday makers and campers in this large area. I hope all can be contacted.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is copied from the CFA FB page, so very scary. Please all in the area I hope you leave if safe to do so. I have been lucky enough to never have been so close to something like this, must be like hell.

Incident Information:
There is a large, fast moving bushfire in the Glenmaggie area.
It is travelling in a south east direction towards Heyfield.
This fire is expected to impact Lake Glenmaggie, Cowwarr, Dawson, Glenmaggie, Heyfield, Seaton, Toongabbie NOW
This bushfire is greater than 25,000 hectares in size and is out of control, currently creating spot-fires ahead.
A wind change is expected anytime in the next 2 hours, which may cause the fire to change direction towards the north east.
What to do:
There is a risk to lives and homes, follow your bushfire survival plan.
If you plan to leave, or you are not prepared and there is a safer place near by, leave now if it is safe to do so.
Turn on your vehicle headlights and drive slowly; smoke will make it difficult to see.
Well prepared and actively defended homes can offer safety.
Take shelter when the fire arrives - protect yourself from the fire's heat.
Consider shelter options close by. These may include a private bunker (that meets current regulations) or a designated shelter or refuge.
Last resort options include Neighbourhood Safer Place, a stationary car in a cleared area, or a ploughed paddock or reserve or body of water like a swimming pool or dam.
If you are away from home: do not return.
If time permits, check your neighbours to see if they are monitoring conditions.
If you are experiencing any symptoms that may be due to smoke exposure, the Department of Health advises people to seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.

Additional Information:
For General Bushfire Information
Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) on freecall 1800 240 667 or www.cfa.vic.gov.au.
Stay Informed:
ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations or watching Sky News TV.
Deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment can contact VBIL via the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677.
Road closures: Check www.vicroads.vic.gov.au.
Tourists: Stay away from the listed areas.
For life or property threatening emergencies: Call 000
Map: None

More info here

www.facebook.com...

www.cfa.vic.gov.au...
edit on 17-1-2013 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

bigpondnews.com... _180113
edit on 17-1-2013 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by feelingconnected
I really hope your child is safe, its getting really bad south east Vic, multible towns under threat right now. Evacs been happening since early morning. Its a dreadful situation.

I have my fingers crossed this change they are expecting just doesnt cause more problems. So many holiday makers and campers in this large area. I hope all can be contacted.

Had a phonecall from my old man an hour ago who lives down that way and is a firefighter;

a fire started out the back of a town called Hayfield which started off at about 4,000 hectares and by this morning had grown to 21,000 hectares by morning with homes having been lost.

The forecast is that it will continue towards Stratford and when the South/Westerly change comes it will propel the fire up towards the Dargo region- if it gets up there it will be near impossible to stop.

My old man is a professional firefighter and he said that if the temperaure hadn't of dropped over night it would be a situation akin to Black Saturday.....

Here's some useful links;

VIC Current Fire Map and Advice

NSW Current Fire Map and Advice

Things are gettin' hairy out there, stay safe everyone!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

hello my friend.

just been outside and that heat is bloody oppresive now. its going to be a bad afternoon.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
according to the bureau it just hit 44.9 here.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
JUST HIT 46.5 HERE WHERE I LIVE.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Shes home now thank god and I hope the people who stayed around to fight the fire or couldn't possibly leave are safe.. I heard a story of a dad and his son (whos a fire fighter) hanging it out to save their home this morning.Hopefully the made it...

join