It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gun debate: Obama unveils gun control proposals

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I disagree with his stated intent and the direction he has taken this debate.

I disagree with national registration. The "gun show loophole" some keep crying about can only be solved with a national registry.

I also disagree with "assault weapons ban" and hi-cap magazine ban. I'm a law abiding citizen with no criminal record. Who cares how many rounds my mag holds???

Some of you have been blinded by Obama's pretty words and feel good stories and fail to see the intent behind his actions.

Ok, well Obama didn't ACT on any of those today. He told Congress to act on those, as is the correct Constitutional way to handle this.

But since you didn't list any of the Executive Actions Obama took today, then I guess that means that you actually agree with the actions he took today.

Who wouldn't? They are all logical steps to take to attempt to prevent another mass shooting.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Fair enough I apologise I misinterpreted what you said.

I am guessing that you mean the people who advocate the sandy hook conspiracies are all pro-gun rather than all people who are pro-gun advocate Sandy Hook conspiracies. I was reading that back to front I think, sorry for that.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandyBragg
I think you just need to get a black stock for any gun and they think it is an "assault rifle", maybe a pistol grip too.

I don't think they reached as far as black stocks.... yet.

But the pistol grip, ventilated barrel shrouds and attachment points for a bayonet are on the list.

I wonder, what is the problem with bayonets? Doesn't anyone remember the Presidential debates.... where we found out that the military doesn't use bayonets any more?

As far as I know, we haven't had a rash of bayonet killings either.

edit on 16-1-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by RandyBragg
I think you just need to get a black stock for any gun and they think it is an "assault rifle", maybe a pistol grip too.

I don't think they reached as far as black stocks.... yet.

But the pistol grip, ventilated barrel shrouds and attachment points for a bayonet are on the list.

I wonder, what is the problem with bayonets? Doesn't anyone remember the Presidential debates.... where we found out that the military doesn't use bayonets any more?

But they look scary!
Don't you remember that mass shooting that never happened? Where some guy ran out of bullets then he started stabbing people with his bayonet?
But attachment points for a bayonet? The Kar98k and Mosin nagant were made with attachment points for the baynet, i hardly would see any of those as "assault rifles". I think most the rifles that were based off the mauser action all have attachment points for the bayonet.
edit on 16-1-2013 by RandyBragg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I don’t want to sound like I am having a moan but I couldn’t help but notice that there are two other threads on this exact same forum on this exact same topic, I know its a big issue but why are they open.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well what has me upset is that the news reporter kept talking over anything he had to say and was childish in her mannerisms and infringement of the interview. keep looking!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I don’t want to sound like I am having a moan but I couldn’t help but notice that there are two other threads on this exact same forum on this exact same topic, I know its a big issue but why are they open.

I think this one was made yesterday about what was going to be released and there was one today about what was just released.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
So really not much new maybe they have finally figured out laws don't work and nutjobs are on the street because of the dems to start with

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RandyBragg

Nope there are a couple that were started say a hour before the news broke yes, but this is the first thread that actually broke detailing the announcements made.

Yet I have seen others that are a exact carbon copy of this thread.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I just dont get what you said in that post, call me aggravated or something but it made no sense nor does the proposed sweeping gun proposal and the implications for him gunning for our second amendment rights and duties.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
When will people realize that 80% of shootings the people do not legally own the guns. Sure they loved to push that the batman psycho bought his..but the kid in Sandy Hood stole the guns from his mom. Some will say if she didnt have them then he would not have be able to do this, well he could of just as easily stole her car keys and done more damage...better go ahead and take the buick as well...

Im glad I live in Texas where we wont put up with anything that infringes on our rights. If he wants to actually enforce existing laws they have been ignoring , Im ok with that.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here's the question i have: what does the CDC have to do with guns? I'm confused???

The executive actions include requiring federal agencies to report more information to the federal background check system and directing the Centers for Disease Control to research gun violence.

Obama also aimed to thaw what the White House called a "freeze" in scientific research of gun violence by the Centers for Disease Control. And he urged Congress to bankroll the CDC to do research into possible linkages between violent video games and other media images and real-life violence, to the tune of $10 million.
Source
So now, people that play video games...will be targeted?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Notice that gun control is now gun safety, and anyone pro-gun is now anti-regulation.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BlowinSmoke

They got bored with trying to cure diseases like cancer, hypertension, AIDS, alcoholism, etc, etc.........

So they are going with something else.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
you gotta ask.. who is effected by all the gun-ban rhetoric? dudes with a basement full of firearms? people on the fence about purchasing a firearm? the criminal who can find a gun and commit any crime he wants in less time than it takes get dressed for work?

the dudes with a basement full of firearms is just going to have to look harder but he'll still find what he wants only now he'll be a criminal for buying illegal guns but this will not stop him.

the people on the fence about purchasing a firearm.. well, the decision is made for them, people want what they're told they can not have and even though they couldn't decide they are now sure and will buy a gun.

the criminal who can find a gun and commit any crime he wants in less time than it takes get dressed for work doesn't care either way about any of this, his only concern is now it'll just be a little harder to find a gun, maybe, and that it'll probably cost a little more but he will carry on as though nothing happened.

so.. what's it all for anyway? it's just one big dog and pony show, horrific murders will still happen, gun sales will go on with the only difference being they will be through the roof now.

drug abuse in america is 1000 times worse than anything i can imagine and look at the dent we made in that! HA so all the arguments, people taking sides.. etc.. is just stupid, the joke is on all of us the government will do whatever they want no matter what we say or want.

joe every-man doesn't need an automatic i agree but there are enthusiasts for just about every item natural or invented by man so will be a demand for any gun banned and do you really think any law created will stop these people? if you have the right amount of money you will get exactly what you're looking for, don't we see this every single day?

anyway.. i'm sure there are reasons we can not see for all this BS and i guarantee they are not what we're being conditioned accept.

and again.. all the pacifists posting replies like "no one should even have a gun in the first place" i'm willing to bet these suburbanites have never been in any situation that's escalated higher than a dispute over a wrongly listed item on their grocery receipt, or depended on being fed by their families hunting skills and if you don't think something like this doesn't apply just find the post about somewhere in the uk where horse meat being found in beef it can happen here just as easily if it hasn't already. Thank God for these people being safe inside their own comfy little cocoon but these people are obviously not reality based.

again.. it's just one big dog and pony show.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Trackhunter

What we need is idiot control."

But.....
They're the ones running the show!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Reply to post by butcherguy

Lol... Ditto ditto, but hey it was people choice.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

Seems okay, can we get a definition of relevant though?

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

Again and seems to go with number 1, can we have some clarity on what health information will be made available and can we have a chart or scale on what health issues will be raising red flags?

I think the Action is good if not abused or made ridiculous ie I suffered from post partum depression 13 years ago, am I blacklisted from buying a gun?

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

Excellent, I know this was a major problem regarding people who shouldn't have been able to buy a gun doing so legally.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

Another good one I think.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

Would there be a basis to not return a gun other than said person was already not allowed to own a gun? Or would LE have grounds to withold an individuals legally owned gun at their discretion?

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

Can't hurt.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

This could be a really good thing, personally I would hope a Republican leader... someone with a true respect for guns would head that up. Not some NRA yahoo or some Liberal that's gonna scare people.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Really good thing, imho.

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations

Great.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

Also great.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

Eh... could be good or bad I suppose.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

That, I think is probably the most crucial.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

Our whole Justice system (penal code) needs an overhaul, what happened to punishment fit the crime? And certainly if police forces can babysit protesters for months in full riot gear, we can gear up some gang task force units, can't we?

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

Very iffy to me, the CDC wields A LOT of power.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

New jobs maybe?

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

I think a very specific criteria needs to be set for that, like a doctor being concerned that an individual is going to go on a shooting spree. If a doctor is suspect of potential suicide or homicide they already have the power to put that person in a psych hold. So maybe take this off the table all together.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

That's okay too I think but should be already in the doctors power to put a person in a psych hold, as I said above.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

Definition of resource officer please.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

A good thing.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

Good.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges. 22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

Not sure what either of those are.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

I hope that means talk with and not talked to.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
reply to post by seabag

I disagree with his stated intent and the direction he has taken this debate.

I disagree with national registration. The "gun show loophole" some keep crying about can only be solved with a national registry.

I also disagree with "assault weapons ban" and hi-cap magazine ban. I'm a law abiding citizen with no criminal record. Who cares how many rounds my mag holds???

Some of you have been blinded by Obama's pretty words and feel good stories and fail to see the intent behind his actions.

Ok, well Obama didn't ACT on any of those today. He told Congress to act on those, as is the correct Constitutional way to handle this.

But since you didn't list any of the Executive Actions Obama took today, then I guess that means that you actually agree with the actions he took today.

Who wouldn't? They are all logical steps to take to attempt to prevent another mass shooting.

Again, you're hiding behind the pretty words and purposely (or ignorantly) missing the intent and the big picture.

Nobody is buying what you're selling...least of all me!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join