It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piers Morgan Fails to Win Rigged Debate on the Second Amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

by Joel B. Pollak 15 Jan 2013

CNN’s Piers Morgan confirmed Ben Shapiro’s skepticism about whether tonight’s “debate” on gun control would be “balanced.” The Breitbart Editor-at-Large accepted an invitation to appear on Morgan’s show for a rematch, then turned down the offer when it became clear Morgan planned to turn his “town hall” into a propaganda rally. Morgan then offered Shapiro two one-on-one segments, and the debate back on was on.

(snip)

Every time he lost a point, Morgan would cut off his conservative guests or insist that he had to cut to a commercial. After returning from one break in particular, he turned abruptly to Hughes and “corrected” her on some minor points of fact--fed to him in the interim, no doubt, by a helpful producer. When she attempted to respond, he simply cut her off in mid-sentence and picked out a more sympathetic guest to vent more outrage.

(snip)

The most telling moment of all came at the beginning of the program, when Morgan openly admitted that the Obama administration’s new proposals for gun regulations, which he supports and for which he proudly campaigned, are “not gonna stop mass shootings.” They are worth enacting anyway, Morgan explained, because they are an appropriate response to the Sandy Hook shootings, even if merely a symbolic one.

Hey! The Piers we all know and love, right? Watching this and watching him with AJ, it becomes all to obvious he set AJ up to look like a loon.

Thing is, he only succeeded in making himself all too transparent, especially with that last paragraph.

If it wasn't so serious, I would laugh.

Even though it won't work, gun bans and strict regs are the appropriate response because it makes some people all warm and gooey inside.

Just. Wow.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Why is a British celebrity debating about the 2nd amendment? Who cares what he thinks about it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Who is at fault here?

The guy who told someone to jump of a cliff? or the retarded that jumped off the cliff?
edit on 1/16/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld
Why is a British celebrity debating about the 2nd amendment? Who cares what he thinks about it.

It is American tv he is on - we got rid of him. That makes him an American celebrity.

Totally agree though, who cares what he thinks about anything? Although, i have to say, if i was his network boss i would be very happy with him right now. He is employed to discuss / debate and he has raised one hell of a talking point in his target country.

Equally though, who cares what any celebrity says about anything? It isn't like they actually do anything important (although you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise when you listen to them harping on about their own self importance).

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I think Piers face when AJ mentioned pharmaceuticals said it all... These guys are doing damage control. Focus the attention on the guns, and we push off talking about drugs to another day.

Not to mention Pharm, is probably the most profitable industry out there.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
It is American tv he is on - we got rid of him. That makes him an American celebrity.

Along with Simon Cowell I imagine. I doubt the British want that person either.

Equally though, who cares what any celebrity says about anything?

I imagine people thought the same thing when John Stewart started to pick up steam. I imagine more people get their news from Jon Stewart than Fox News these days.

The controversy / attention is great for Morgan though. Bumps the ratings.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Fair point. I really do not understand this obsession with celebrities though. Their importance (as far as i can make out) is limited to entertaining us.

I love Sean Locke (stand up comic) but why would i care what he says about space? Or the environment? Or politics? etc, etc.

And the ones that really get me are "reality" stars. No useful purpose!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld

Its a discration.

Example:

I'll get my cute son to show you a picture of a cute cat while I go up staiurs and nail your wife

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'm not sure how much you American folks know about Piers Morgan...

Basically, he used to be a newsman - and a rather good one, to be fair - although he focused his efforts on tabloid news, writing for and editing many of Britain's 'lower standing' papers. Despite this, he would occasionally pen rather good serious pieces for other publications which, for me, was evidence of him being rather more than a simple hack.

Anyhow, he - like so many others - decided to become a 'celebrity' and exaggerated his opinionated, straight talking manner to achieve this. He was fairly entertaining in entertainment formats, and became legitimately famous. The Simon Cowell influence is all over him.

So, the PM you see on American screens is a bizarelly inflated version of the real man. It's worth keeping in mind that he'll say almost anything to get ratings, so although he might have a germ of a point you can be sure he blows it up as far as it will go to keep people talking and tuning in. He's not unlike Glenn Beck et al in some ways.

He's not considered a serious pundit in the UK, more a media personality.
edit on 16-1-2013 by KingIcarus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

obvious he set AJ up to look like a loon.

Wrong, are you to blind to see that AJ is part of this, what kind of person would blow the opportunity presented to him, to destroy Morgan with irrefutable fact, but Jones played a role, now the footage is being played on countless shows as the role model of nut job gun people, just ask Anderson cooper. this is a farce,the problem is most people are to blinded by arrogance and cant accept reality to see what is really happening.
And you believe you are awake.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

Exactky. AJ is now being portrayed as the gun nut job.

Piers invited him, he went in both guns blazing, so to speak.

So what did I miss?

Enlighten me, awake one.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Is this on tonights show? Or last nights? If you have the video can you post it?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by itbenickp
Is this on tonights show? Or last nights? If you have the video can you post it?

It was from Jan. 15, Tuesday night. I can give the url, someone will have to post the video, can't from my phone. Every time I try to go to the link, it just plays, so I can't caoture the vid number.

link

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think people that come from Great Britain can't understand our desire to preserve our second amendment rights because they come from a society of servitude to the crown. And I don't mean any disrespect by the comment, but it is just a fundamental difference between our two societies that led to the split of the two in the first place. We are not beholden to our government, they are beholden to us, and that is obviously a concept that is not something Mr Morgan can grasp logically.

top topics

join