It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Fired for Giving Student Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
This happened relatively close to me the other day. If this was about the Koran, I wonder if the school board would have fired him? Mr. Tutka is a retired teacher who no just substitutes. If this was the Koran, I bet this would be national news.

The Phillipsburg School Board voted Monday night to terminate the employment of Walter Tutka. He was accused of breaking two policies – distributing religious literature on school grounds and another policy that directs teachers to be neutral when discussing religious material.
Fox

Tutka’s trouble started in Octoboer when he was standing by a door waiting on middle school students to enter the building. One student trailed behind the rest. “Just remember, son,” Tutka told the tardy student, “The first shall be last but the last shall be first.” A few days later the student asked about the origins of the quote. Tutka told him it was in the Bible.
Fox

So basically, the kid kept asking him about this quote and eventually the teacher offered the student his own Bible to take home and keep, since the student didn't have a Bible. This was also during lunch break.
Personally, I hope the whole school board gets voted out next election. I'm also curious as to who turned him in on it, the article doesn't state that.

And yet we have teachers, suspended with pay, when they have sex with students..go figure.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The teacher willingly broke two of the rules he agreed to when he went to work there. Maybe next time he will leave the religion at church where it belongs.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
The teacher willingly broke two of the rules he agreed to when he went to work there. Maybe next time he will leave the religion at church where it belongs.

I disagree. According to the article, he did neither.

"Distribution" implies systemic handing out and spreading of materiels. He gave a single book to a single student who asked about it.

I don't see where he was supporting one religion over another. He just used a single quote in a situation--something that is that not unusual--and answered the boy's question.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I'm sure you would feel the same way if a Muslim or a Tibetan monk did the same. Oh wait, no you wouldn't. Firing the teacher then would be intolerant bigotry!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

"Distribution" implies systemic handing out and spreading of materiels. He gave a single book to a single student who asked about it.

I don't see where he was supporting one religion over another. He just used a single quote in a situation--something that is that not unusual--and answered the boy's question.

How many religions uses the bible?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

I'm sure you would feel the same way if a Muslim or a Tibetan monk did the same. Oh wait, no you wouldn't. Firing the teacher then would be intolerant bigotry!

Don't let your ignorance show and as usual you are showing it now. Religion doesn't belong in public school. I don't care what delusion you choose to follow just keep it where it belongs at home and in their respective place of worship.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
But this isn't the koran. Nice try on spinning it to make muslims look bad. But the teacher should be teaching Sunday School if they wanted to hand out bibles.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Good, there's nothing worse than a bible thumping brain washed teacher! I wouldn't want the bible shoved down my kids' throat at school. I call this a win for seperation of church and state.
edit on 16-1-2013 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
If the student asked for it, I don't see how it's an issue. You can get books from the school library about anything. How is this different?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I see no harm from that quote and from a few others like these.There are more which can be applicable to a situation.
“Every path has its puddle"
“When you reach the top, keep climbing.”
“Good things come to those who wait”
Those are just 3 of many Proverb's in the Bible. I don't see it as promoting any religion.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ireminisce
If the student asked for it, I don't see how it's an issue. You can get books from the school library about anything. How is this different?

Because all the teacher had to do was tell him to go to the library. HE/SHE outstepped public school bounds. Your answer should have been the teacher's answer...go to the library and check it out. Period.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

About 41,000 different sects.

This is not a complete list, but aims to provide a comprehensible overview of the diversity among denominations of Christianity. As there are reported to be approximately 41,000 Christian denominations

Wiki: A List of Christian denominations

edit on 1/16/13 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

How is answering the boy's question supporting one religion over another? Please point out where he told the boy Christianity is the one true religion.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by Ireminisce

Because all the teacher had to do was tell him to go to the library. HE/SHE outstepped public school bounds. Your answer should have been the teacher's answer...go to the library and check it out. Period.

So if a boy asked a teacher who was Tom Sawyer's best friend in the story, the proper answer would be to tell him to go in the library and look it up? If that is what a teacher is supposed to do when asked for information, why even have teachers?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Were in the article was he Bible thumping? Because of one quote that fit the situation? Were did the teacher use the words God or Jesus?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
We teachers are not supposed to discuss our personal faith with the students. Nor are we allowed to discuss other faiths in a negative light (I can't tell my students Hinduism or Satanism is evil, etc).

I've had students ask me about religion, especially the younger ones. I always tell them to talk to their parents, and that's that.

If an older student asked me about religion, I would tell them different ways to look into the matter, but I wouldn't give him any literature. Nor would I share my personal beliefs.

I don't think what this teacher did was correct; but neither do I think he deserves to be fired. My guess, though, is that someone may have threatened a law suit so that the school board felt compelled to take action.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Or google it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I agree that he shouldn't be fired.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Thank God I can afford to send my kids to private school.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
c'mon, even i know there must have been more to this story than just one instance of the teacher telling the kid where the quote came from. doesn't anyone think that FOX may have not done the research, or told the whole story?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join