It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amid Gun Alarmism, Intruders, Robbers and Attackers Are Being Stopped By Armed Citizens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The anti-gun alarmists are getting plenty of support in our statehouses and among the MSM.

Not much is heard about the law-abiding Americans who have recently been willing to defend their lives, families and property when the government (i.e., law enforcement) are unable or unwilling, as in Detroit, where homeowners are told to wait or call back when calling 911 for assistance.
www.enumclaw.com...

These are just a few of the reports I collected in about 1 hour on 1 morning with a simple Google search.
"Intruder shot"

Intruder shot 5 times by armed woman

Paul Slater

Intruder killed by north Phoenix homeowner had prior history of theftsJason Wilson

Home intruder shot to death in Henderson
Deyon Durham

Naked intruder shot by homeowner
naked intruder

Prosecutor's Office: Intruder shot in self defense Clint Anderson

Homeowner Shoots Intruder in Grand Prairie: PoliceGilberto Balderas

Okla. girl, 12, shot home intruder while hiding in closet, police sayStacey Jones

Intruder shot, killed during Anne Arundel Co. robbery attemptByron Keith Phillips

Alleged intruder shot and killedClyde Adam Courtney

Homeowner fires at ANOTHER burglar - two months after he shot dead would-be intruderDavid Fletcher

Henderson teen tells 911 dispatcher: 'I just shot the man'Michael Henderson

Two robbers shot dead in Hollywood, North Miami

Car thief killed, another wounded

Try your own search, and see how citizens are doing for themselves what "big government" never could or ever will.

Anyone know of other recent events that deserve publicity and applause?
edit on 15-1-2013 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
isnt it interesting how none of this gets brought up in the debates on banning guns by MSM

so clearly people saving themselves with gun... So what do you think would have happened to these people if they didn't have a gun?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Being shot sucks, the problem is that death isnt the punishment for many of those would be crimes, prison is and criminals need to serve their time for their crime. Dead people cant serve their time.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Being shot sucks, the problem is that death isnt the punishment for many of those would be crimes, prison is and criminals need to serve their time for their crime. Dead people cant serve their time.

Half of them don't serve long enough, then they go free and go strait back to crime! The statistics are really bad for repeat offendors. They all go back to prison, they learn nothing, and the only thing that changes is another person got victimized.

Look at it this way, Say somebody breaks into your house, you shoot him in the leg 3 times, then hold him at gunpoint till police arrives. How long do you think he'll serve in prison? Not very long. So what happens when he gets out? One of two things, A) He learned his lesson, B) He wan'ts revenge.

If somebody breaks in and you are sure they don't belong there, it is safest to "shoot to kill". You don't have to worry about scenario B. It makes the paper, future criminals after reading about each case, get less and less confident.

Killing them is the most effective solution for public safety, hands frikken down. The goal is to make them so afraid, they wouldn't dare rob you. Risk vs. Reward.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Dead people do not get the chance to rob you, rape your wife, or murder you and your children either. They also don't get the chance to do it to someone else. Maybe criminals should sit down and think long and hard before victimizing innocent people and ask themselves if their life is really worth it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Dead people do not get the chance to rob you, rape your wife, or murder you and your children either. They also don't get the chance to do it to someone else. Maybe criminals should sit down and think long and hard before victimizing innocent people and ask themselves if their life is really worth it.

I wrote that entire reply to him, then realised he's from the UK. /FACEPALM, he won't get it, he'll just argue with us.

UK people think that if somebody breaks into your house, you just stand there, let them do their thing and leave, they won't hurt you.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I agree with the 2nd completely, i wish we had the same thing over here, while ANY criminal has a gun i should, as a law abiding person, be allowed a firearm to protect my family and my property. Don't jump to the assumption that because im from the UK, im trying to take your guns away from you! I am not.

What i meant by what i said before is that killing someone who was just trying to take your wallet is not what the gun is for.

You are only meant to shoot to kill, if your life or another life is in mortal danger.

Weather or not the courts give long enough sentences is not what this thread is about, thats a separate issue, you are not judge and jury. Just because they may not be corrected properly is defiantly not an excuse to kill them.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I wonder what percentage of these unreported postives for gun ownership are instead, actually used to pad the numbers of "gun murders" for the anti's???

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

If anything, this list supports why people shouldn't have guns.Nothing but murderous homeowners. Unarmed people getting killed is all the more reasons guns should be banned.

Intruder shot 5 times by armed woman

Paul Slater

The woman called her husband and grabbed a gun instead of calling police. She could of held the man at bay and called the police, instead of shooting him 5 times and killing him. Death was completely un-necessary.

Intruder killed by north Phoenix homeowner had prior history of theftsJason Wilson

Sounds like he had it coming.

Home intruder shot to death in Henderson
Deyon Durham

Ball declined to say whether Durham was attempting to break-in to a structure on the property or a vehicle at the residence. There was no confirmation if others were present at the time of the shooting, or where the shooting took place on the property.

Sounds like the homeowner wanted to kill somebody. BEing on the property or breaking into a vehicle doesn't warrant a death sentence.

Naked intruder shot by homeowner
naked intruder

The homeowner intervened un-necessarily. Attacking the dog on the property doesn't warrant attempted murder.

Prosecutor's Office: Intruder shot in self defense Clint Anderson

That story is too vague to comment on.

Homeowner Shoots Intruder in Grand Prairie: PoliceGilberto Balderas

If the intruder only had a knife, why did the homeowner have to shoot him? Sounds like not shooting him and holding him till police came would of worked just as well.

Okla. girl, 12, shot home intruder while hiding in closet, police sayStacey Jones

I wonder if she told him to leave or I will shoot, if he would of?

Intruder shot, killed during Anne Arundel Co. robbery attemptByron Keith Phillips

They got into an altercation first. Yea that doesn't sound suspicous.

Alleged intruder shot and killedClyde Adam Courtney

The intruder wasn't even in the house. Another trigger happy homeowner.

Homeowner fires at ANOTHER burglar - two months after he shot dead would-be intruderDavid Fletcher.

Yea, that doesn't seem suspicous. Considering the first guy was only found laying on the front porch.

Henderson teen tells 911 dispatcher: 'I just shot the man'Michael Henderson

The boy claimed that the man had a gun on him, yet no weapon was found on the dead guy. Another person dead by guns that was not necessary.

Two robbers shot dead in Hollywood, North Miami

Only the second reasonable instance.

Car thief killed, another wounded

Stealing a car is not a death penalty, and I hope the car owner is charged with murder.

Anyone know of other recent events that deserve publicity and applause?
edit on 15-1-2013 by jdub297 because: sp

Anybody else think we should mature beyond the wild west mentality? Only two instances out of your whole entire list were warranted. Hardly a winner.

Now how many people will be killed today accidently? Purposefully? Probably a lot more than your entire list.
edit on 15-1-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
... So what do you think would have happened to these people if they didn't have a gun?

In the first case cited, the burglar passed through several other rooms in a deliberate attempt to find the woman and her children.
He was apparently aware of their presence in a side-room attic away from the inhabited areas of the home.
In short, he was coming after them.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Deaf people can't commit additional crimes, they can't come and get you in retaliation and they will never be "a ward of the State."

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

If somebody breaks in and you are sure they don't belong there, it is safest to "shoot to kill". You don't have to worry about scenario B. It makes the paper, future criminals after reading about each case, get less and less confident.

My gather was a police officer for 27 years in a fairly difficult city to police.
He used his weapon only twice in the line of duty,
He taught me early that, if you draw a weapon, you better plan to use it, and shoot to kill, You can't risk a "wing shot" when a body shot is the safest target.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

UK people think that if somebody breaks into your house, you just stand there, let them do their thing and leave, they won't hurt you.

Actually, that's the law in the UK.

Several people have been arrested or charged for defending themselves from attack or intruders.
www.bbc.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk... urglars-shot-break-in.html

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

You are only meant to shoot to kill, if your life or another life is in mortal danger.

That is definitely NOT the law in the United States, which each set their own standards of defense to unlawful conduct. In the UK, a central authority sets the standard for everyone; one size does not fit all in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

If anything, this list supports why people shouldn't have guns.Nothing but murderous homeowners. Unarmed people getting killed is all the more reasons guns should be banned.

Either shoot or the gun will be taken from you, and probably used on you. Shoot, now, or don't get it out. Real life is not the movies. Bad guy is in your house, has no business there, take him out. It is legal in Indiana.

Not hard to take away a gun.

Much easier than taking away a knife.

Bad guys, hope you are reading this. You may get away with something like this on the coast, but try it in flyover country and you will not survive.
edit on 15-1-2013 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

edit on 15-1-2013 by kawika because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Only two instances out of your whole entire list were warranted. Hardly a winner.

What pathetic responses/comments to the cited cases.
In may States, lethal force is warranted in the defense of persons OR property.

Your clains are completely wrong and belie your biases in favor of submission of our well-being to the whims of some "authority." Are you responsible for anything without support from a nanny state ou institution?

There were multiple stories on the follow-up and outcomes if you'd bothered to look insread of spouting pious appeals to the criminals' better judgment.

Not one of the shooters has been charged or prosecured; all were justified.

edit on 15-1-2013 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
My post from another thread. I refuse to be at the mercy of these types due to someone's misplaced feelings of moral superiority and absolute hubris.
If you take the constitutional side of the argument out of it, then we have REAL LIFE. Perhaps we should deal with our crime issue. I will not be made to live without a means to protect myself or my children and Im starting to believe the anti gunners have NEVER been out of their own comfort zone, live a sheltered life, or a very very young. I cant hardly believe that someone is too ignorant to understand the reality of things. How dare you demand this.

Maybe sometimes. I told this on here the week it happened. You know me.. Im older, kids, husband, live in a very large historic home in a gated area of our little city. I have motion activated lights, surveillance cameras, signs telling you about my surveillance cameras and a very large stafforshire terrier.. with beware of dog metal signs. I have a wrought iron security door on my font and a steel security door in my walk out basement. I live in a good area. My husband left for work and not long after.. broad daylight.. I hear someone trying to kick in my basement door. I secure the kids, get the dog, grab the gun, and yell out to them they have 10 seconds to get off of the property or I let the dog go they kept kicking and cursing me... I then said that I was armed. I pumped my Mossberg 12 gauge... and they broke a bamboo fence getting out of the yard. 2 grown men.. The police took 45 minutes to get here after my oldest daughter called them while hiding. They go the tapes and there has NOT been an arrest.

Now, they bypassed EVERY passive security measure I had in place.. and MEANT to break in. me here alone with 3 daughters. The dog growling and barking did not stop them. The only thing that stopped this was the loud chambering of the shell in the Mossberg. They didnt mean to come in and steal some food because they were hungry Id wager. I do not want to kill another human being. Its not a desire and I have done everything I can to dissuade any criminal to think I am easy pickin's and to pass me by. Ive done everything I can to prevent having to be in the position to take a life to save mine or my children's. Yet they persist.

No, Ill not give anyone my firearms when I have this kind of threat. IF you ask me to lay myself and my daughters out to be raped or killed by these criminals.. I have to wonder about you. Not YOU Nixie, you should already know I like you and respect your opinions regardless if I agree with them or not.. but take into account what Im saying here and had just went through no more than 5 weeks ago... and its not the first time Ive had to draw my weapon in this state in the 7-8 yrs since we were transferred here. I am always VERY reluctant to use force... as I have personal convictions concerning taking of a human life or harming a human. I am in the state with some of the stiffest gun laws.. Illinois.

Text

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So do I lay down and become a victim along with my children to satisfy those who want me to give up any means of protecting myself? You cherish the criminal over my children and myself who ARE good people and only want to live? Are we not worthy enough for you? I am starting to really resent this idiocy.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

their life choices were not conductive to staying alive, sometimes you get that when people are not educated at a young age as to the consequences of making stupid choices. If you made the choice to run in front of a car going at high speed, you might die, but you would have made that choice, and we cant protect you from yourself, you should know better than to make stupid choices.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
"Another person dead by guns that was not necessary."

If someone if breaking into a home on the military base i worked on and i have a gun and command him to get face down on the floor and he does not and keeps coming at me i was trained as a federal security officer to shoot.

Not obeying the order in its self is a aggressive act.
doing it on a military base is suicide.

Here in calif you have gangs and intruders may not be alone one may come in but his friend may be just out side so if you try to hold a intruder his partner my come in another way.

if you have to shoot you need to hold cover till you know your target was alone.

if you are trying to hold a suspect back against a wall or center of the house. if there is a second intruder shoot the first one unless you have complete control of the first one from a safe place plus watch your back.

Don't feel bad about shooting the first one because his partner caused him to get shoot and the cops will charge him with murder as a accomplice in a felony where someone dies.
That 99% of the time will give the cops and DA what they want someone to prosecute.

If you have three or more intruders start yelling to your imaginary friends/team like you are setting a ambush
just before you bail out of the back window. it will take them time to clear the rooms as you are running like h**l

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

This may be one of the silliest arguments I have ever seen or heard. Clearly you are not too familiar with the US Justice System which allows many murders, armed robbers, and child molesters to walk free and offend again, and again, and again, and again.

Please feel free to look into it yourself and see how often criminals are released and become "repeat offenders". You will find it alarmingly common with sex offenders in particular.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join