It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Reveals New Search Feature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

www.cleveland.com...]CEO Mark Zuckerberg unveiled a new search feature on Tuesday in Facebook's first staged event at its Menlo Park, Calif., headquarters since its May initial public offering.

Called "graph search," the new service lets users search their social connections for information about people, interests, photos and places. Until now, Facebook users were unable to search for friends who live in a certain town or like a particular movie. With the new feature, people can search for friends who, say, live in Boston who also like "Zero Dark Thirty".

Zuckerberg says the search feature is "privacy aware."

I thought the whole point of having your profile set to private was so that we could stay private!!

Or am i reading this wrong??

A Search feature which allows people to search for other people and find out about them???

edit on Tue Jan 15 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: tags AND SOURCE added IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Tue Jan 15 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: code fix

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think its time to close my Facebook account... Privacy on Facebook is a joke

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
I think its time to close my Facebook account... Privacy on Facebook is a joke

Well something definately sounds wrong with this latest feature!

Do you know of any similar sites to facebook but without all the fuss and privacy issues??

I really would prefer to join a different site but with the same functionality!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

According to Engadget it will not change a person's privacy settings:

Worry not, privacy protectors: we're told Graph Search is "privacy aware;" Facebook's even dedicated 10 percent of its computing power just to the goal of ensuring privacy. And no, none of your privacy settings will automatically change as a result of signing up or using Graph Search.
www.engadget.com

However, that doesn't change it searching through what has been shared.

As one tweeter asked:

@anildash
Okay, who's going to come up with the best Facebook graph search that exposes only information people didn't realize was public? #GraphDrama

to which someone replied: "People who just bought expensive electronics and aren't home right now"

Yikes!!!!

new topics

top topics

join