It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US court drops charges on Aaron Swartz days after his suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

US court drops charges on Aaron Swartz days after his suicide

rt.com

The dismissal follows an investigation into Swartz's involvement in the theft of content hosted on JSTOR, a digital archive used by universities and other research institutions. Swartz, who was living in New York City at the time of his death, had accessed JSTOR through the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's library, which is why the case was being heard in that state.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Most definitely room for conspiracy here, they wanted to make an example out of him, although its worth noting that JSTOR urged the U.S government to drop the case. MIT continued there pursuit against Aaron.

In my eyes this guy is a hero, he stayed strong through endless attempts to silence him and destroy his reputation.

A note from anonymous : “Twenty-four hours after the death of Aaron Swartz was announced to the world, a heartless cult announced their intention to picket his funeral. In response, Anonymous has launched Operation Angel.”

Anonymous are also attending his funeral, Which will be severely "Tapped" by the government intel agents.

R.I.P Aaron Swartz ,11th January 2013.

He will be remembered as he was, an activist, a humanitarian and a unique mind of the computing world.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The irony being that it was like the charges which pushed him to suicide in the first place. Ahh... Irony!

Goes great with coffee.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

He was an asset to every truth seeker gloabally, I put this on the same par as losing Bill Cooper. He was 26 and achieved more than a man in his 50's.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Sorry to burst your conspiratorial bubbles, but you cannot try a dead person.
If you can't bring someone to trial you drop all the charges, no matter how much evidence you might have against them.
It's the way the law works, not an admission that they didn't have a case against him, nor a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
RIP Aaron.

Stopping bullies is only for minors apparently.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

RIP Aaron.

Stopping bullies is only for minors apparently.

I'm confused by this?

Or are you referring to everyone else and the prosecutor?

Aaron wasn't stopping or trying to stop any bullies anyway.... spreading information when it should be free, is a worthy thing.

the laws in regards to computer related offences - or perceived offences - really needs to be changed. amended. fixed. or be done with until such time they can actually work.

throw people in jail for digital text. and let thieving blue collar criminals out with a raise.

cannot elicit a nice word for how that makes me feel.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Too little, too late.

It's outrageous, really. That prosecutor needs to lose her job or, at the very least, not be delusional enough to run for MA Governor, which is a distinct possibility.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
How kind of them.
Assholes.

As many have pointed out the sentencing terms for cyber crimes are just flat out ridiculous and yes bullying, same for other things we can't talk about on this site, yet the destroyers of the economy get tax payer funded million dollar raises. To the mentality that brings us this loveliness, kindly go screw yourself.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
First of all, I am in AGREEMENT that prosecutors in this country have been given too far of a free reign to persecute people who don't deserve it.....along with refusal to really give REAL criminals (rapists, murderers, child molesters, etc...) the types of sentences they deserve. Victims rarely get real justice anymore, it seems.

That being said, perhaps I don't understand why everyone is coming down on the prosecutors in this case? As a free citizen, I have the right to sell my intellectual property. If someone breaks into my home, steals my stuff, and then puts it up for sale on eBay or gives it away....I have the right to have that person prosecuted. The same right occurs with intellectual property. I put my time, effort, and research into making discoveries. I have the right to sell that information. If someone breaks into a server and steals that work in order to give it away (in Aaron's case) or sell it, then I have been victimized because my investment has been taken from me. If the prosecutors were able to prove that Aaron stole these documents, why do you feel this isn't a crime? I guess I just don't understand that...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

He was bullied to death. But for adults it is not called "bullying" it is called business.
edit on 15-1-2013 by zroth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
So you are saying "deep net" serves the purpose of storing intellectual property thus deserves fortress style security on the net?
Movies like "The Net", "Hackers" circa 1995 seem to hint at an open sharing academic community governed by an honor system.
If the admin left a port open it was part of the extended library. Maybe its like nude beaches for lesbians or something?

edit on 23-5-2014 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join