It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We've done it, we found intelligent life on another planet... (hypothetical story)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Because we could learn something from them. Learning from other people's (or aliens) mistakes is usually better than learning from our own mistakes, although many people do not learn either way.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

When is the last time mankind learned from any mistakes? We just keep repeating the same mistakes.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This is wikipedias description of a southpark episode that inspired this thread. Good episode if you haven't seen it.

Randy steals a superconducting magnet and slips it into the back of Stan's pinewood derby car to ensure his son will win the annual state derby. Stan's car takes first place while reaching warp speed and shooting off into space, where it is discovered by an alien species. A spaceship soon lands in South Park. The pilot, an alien bank robber, demands that Stan and Randy build a new warp drive, but Randy refuses to tell the truth in order to avoid admitting he cheated in the derby. The bank robber is killed, and Randy convinces Earth's leaders to keep the alien's "space cash", which they divide among themselves. An Intergalactic Police ship arrives looking for the robber, but no one admits to seeing him or the money. Eventually, however, Stan admits he cheated in the pinewood derby and returns the trophy. The robber emerges from the officers' ship, revealing he faked his own death and is really the ambassador to new worlds. The people of Earth were being tested to determine whether they were worthy to join the intergalactic community. Having failed, the Earth is forever isolated from the rest of the universe as punishment.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by iSHRED
When is the last time mankind learned from any mistakes? We just keep repeating the same mistakes.

Considering that mankind is all of us, everyday.
The actions of someone, either in position to control a country or just to control themselves, are a result of what that person learned, so when contacting that hypothetical Alien civilization some people would learn something, so I think yes, mankind would learn something too.

If they would act in a different way because of what they learned is a different story.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Interesting documentary about the imaginary discovery of a planet populated by animals and our mission to harass these poor beasts:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Funny, I bet thats what the Aliens think of us.

Although a bit off topic I hate the rule of no One Liners on ATS

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join