It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas or any state WILL NOT be allowed to secede.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Petition Response: Our States Remain United

By Jon Carson, Director of the Office of Public Engagement

Thank you for using the White House's online petitions platform to participate in your government.

In a nation of 300 million people -- each with their own set of deeply-held beliefs -- democracy can be noisy and controversial. And that's a good thing. Free and open debate is what makes this country work, and many people around the world risk their lives every day for the liberties we often take for granted.

But as much as we value a healthy debate, we don't let that debate tear us apart.

Our founding fathers established the Constitution of the United States "in order to form a more perfect union" through the hard and frustrating but necessary work of self-government. They enshrined in that document the right to change our national government through the power of the ballot -- a right that generations of Americans have fought to secure for all. But they did not provide a right to walk away from it. As President Abraham Lincoln explained in his first inaugural address in 1861, "in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution the Union of these States is perpetual." In the years that followed, more than 600,000 Americans died in a long and bloody civil war that vindicated the principle that the Constitution establishes a permanent union between the States. And shortly after the Civil War ended, the Supreme Court confirmed that "[t]he Constitution, in all its provisions, looks to an indestructible Union composed of indestructible States."

Although the founders established a perpetual union, they also provided for a government that is, as President Lincoln would later describe it, "of the people, by the people, and for the people" -- all of the people. Participation in, and engagement with, government is the cornerstone of our democracy. And because every American who wants to participate deserves a government that is accessible and responsive, the Obama Administration has created a host of new tools and channels to connect concerned citizens with White House. In fact, one of the most exciting aspects of the We the People platform is a chance to engage directly with our most outspoken critics.

So let's be clear: No one disputes that our country faces big challenges, and the recent election followed a vigorous debate about how they should be addressed. As President Obama said the night he won re-election, "We may have battled fiercely, but it's only because we love this country deeply and we care so strongly about its future."

Whether it's figuring out how to strengthen our economy, reduce our deficit in a responsible way, or protect our country, we will need to work together -- and hear from one another -- in order to find the best way to move forward. I hope you'll take a few minutes to learn more about the President's ideas and share more of your own.

Tell us what you think about this response and We the People.

Stay Connected

Stay connected to the White House by signing up for periodic email updates from President Obama and other senior administration officials.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Flickr Google+  

This email was sent to
Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy
Please do not reply to this email. Contact the White House

The White House • 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW • Washington, DC 20500 • 202-456-1111

Copied from an email I received from the white house petition site. Its in response to all the talk over states seceding.

What I don't get is what if they took a vote an the vote said that a paticular state wants to secede like texas would this trump what the govenment wants the state to do.
edit on 11-1-2013 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/12/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Please use EX tags for external content.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
what is the point in petitions if when you get the sigs no one cares and just tells you no...

If texas really wants to break away and we could get enough people to vote on it, it would happen and nothin the federal gov could do about it.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

but it's only because we love this country deeply

Really? I don't see it.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Or a vote to get rid of some federal laws in a state like what wyoming is doing.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So...Is "White House" saying, that if push comes to shove they will offer concession to prevent secession?
Or are they saying, you will do as you are told, because "we" know what's best?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
This President's references and self-made connections to Lincoln are wearing real thin. Extremely thin. It's almost as if he admires the President who rode this ship of state right into the darkest hours it's ever seen. This wasn't a GOOD THING and I only consider Lincoln to be successful because he did manage to bring the nation out the other side....but a VERY near thing at more than one juncture of that conflict.

Obama's admiration for the worst time our nation has ever known is getting downright disturbing, indeed.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

I think they are saying "We are judge, jury, and executioner" they didn't even address the possibility of a vote they just said no. Hell I would have put it to vote just to get a "feel" for what the people are really thinking. But I bet most people don't even know what it would mean if a state would to secede. It would be a huge deal to the state and to the rest of the states. The new state would have to form a new govenment hold elections, turn over any US property it would be messy.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

If I recall correctly, young America was also "not allowed" to declare independence from the oppressive and tyrannical british crown... right?

But they felt so strongly, that they did it anyway.

When enough states and people have simply had enough of the bull # from the rogue government regime in washington that has usurped the nation, they might in fact secede as a group and form a new nation, telling the gubmint to GFY.

I see it as not implausible in the decades to come, if things continue on the same path to a high tech 1984's Oceania style dystopia.
edit on 1/11/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
No state has the right to secede from the Union.

If any State does try to secede then they should be given a week to think about it to and rejoin the union and if not then military action should be taken.
edit on 1/11/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

So either fail with us or we attack you? The US is going down the crapper if anything would pull it out it would be each state or group of states working on their own agendas to clear up the mess. The goverment is too big right now for it to work. If the states got a chance to govern themselves from top to bottom our problems could be more manageable.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

No

I would not trust state governments with a bubble gun, especially the Governments from the deep south to make it fair for everyone especially minorities and women.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87

I think they are saying "We are judge, jury, and executioner" they didn't even address the possibility of a vote they just said no. Hell I would have put it to vote just to get a "feel" for what the people are really thinking. But I bet most people don't even know what it would mean if a state would to secede. It would be a huge deal to the state and to the rest of the states. The new state would have to form a new govenment hold elections, turn over any US property it would be messy.

Well, when then, would the Feds realize that they need the states, much more than the states need them?
Take my state, for example...We run a balanced budget! Upon secession, all of the money that comes from federal coffers, would be replaced by local money, that would stay right here...We have 3 major international shipping ports, and could quickly establish trade, with whomever we need to to maintain our infrastructure. And, we could increase taxes on the tourism industry to make up any shortfalls....

So what would the Feds use for leverage, again???

edit on 1/11/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: lalala

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Any state that does try it will also have to pay back it's share of taxes.

Not going to happen folks.

Americans have such a shoddy understanding of their own government, ask a stranger to name their state senators. I bet you'd be surprised how many people don't even know.

Despite the serious lack of knowledge about how the US Government works, people rabble rabble and come up with half-brained ideas that will never work (such as trying to secede).

I think we ought to tie congress's paychecks to their approval rating. The higher their rating, the more they get paid. They work for us, and not the other way around.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
No state has the right to secede from the Union.

If any State does try to secede then they should be given a week to think about it to and rejoin the union and if not then military action should be taken.
edit on 1/11/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

Right... if anyone wants to be free and independent of a corrupted to the core despotic government, destroy them? THATS your suggestion?

Unfortunately that seems like the normal way of things now.
edit on 1/11/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I think you make a good point here with Florida. Only a FEW states could even discuss secession as a unilateral move which wouldn't spell almost immediate fail in neon. Florida, Texas, California, Maine...among a few. ONLY exterior states on international borders need even joke about it for trade and commerce after the US cuts them off from so much as bottled water.

Florida..could make it though. Florida and Texas both have the population, international relations in their own right to work outside the US 'fold' if pushed hard enough ..and have domestic production or could generate what they don't have..very quickly.

Florida could even make money by leasing the Space Center back to Washington at some laughably high rate the same way the launch center in the old Soviet map is now for them? It would be interesting to see with the President quick to condemn other nations that put down "revolution".

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

If lets say Texas were to secede and form a goverment then Allie with the US then the Feds no longer need to spend any resources there and then worry about fixing the rest. But you know what scares the Feds is a state as big as Texas fixing its money problems then booming once it let's go of the Feds hand. And the rest of the states will follow. The federal goverment is an anchor to a few states. Don't punish the smart to keep the dumb afloat.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Could of, would of, should of,.......Last year the Texas house or state reps passed a bill to kick TSA out from all Texas airports...Feds said they would not play and no flight plans would be accepted from any aircraft if they went through with their dastardly plans....Texas folded.

If enough states got together and decided they would band together and call themselves "America Redo" or whatever the map would probably look pretty much like the current map; sans D.C., Chicago, and maybe Calif.....?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The only thing settled by the Civil War was that the side with an industrial base and more population will win in any war if only by attrition.

A legal issue decided by force is not settled at all...

The US has encouraged, supported and backed numerous break-away States since the conclusion of the Civil War. So it is good for the States of other nations to succeed and have the right to self determination but not our own States?

I think if the issue could or would be settled in an international court of law (it would have to be an unbiased international court BTW not the supreme court as they are a branch of the Federal Government) in which the State(s) petitioning and the Federal Government were treated as equals the matter would be settled quickly. I think the world would side with the State(s) based on the US Federal Governments own track record and precedent of insisting break-away States are entitled to self government.

The Federal Government is out of control utterly and drunk with power. What other recourse is there for the States than secession when a few densely populated cities can (and recently did - look at the county election results map of the 2012 election) in effect control the national agenda.

The 50 States were to be 50 independent places with their own different laws determined by their own people; however, now the Federal Government wants to homogenize the States so that there is no relief from a perceived grievance in policy or governance.

The 18 enumerated powers have blossomed into unbounded control and infinite governance under the most vague of the clauses in the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

The federal goverment is stepping on the toes of the states. I don't see anything but succession or a coup to toss the current Polititians. Gun grabbers will not stop till they take guns from the people and gun owners will not give them up. Not to make it a gun thread but yeah that's how it will go down. If Wyoming keeps guns and everyone else must follow what the Feds say then the people will turn on Wyoming and who ever turns. Hell secession may be the only thing that stops a civil war.

The Feds are going to far and the line in CONCRETE AND STEEL has to be somewhere.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I think you make a good point here with Florida. Only a FEW states could even discuss secession as a unilateral move which wouldn't spell almost immediate fail in neon. Florida, Texas, California, Maine...among a few. ONLY exterior states on international borders need even joke about it for trade and commerce after the US cuts them off from so much as bottled water.

Florida..could make it though. Florida and Texas both have the population, international relations in their own right to work outside the US 'fold' if pushed hard enough ..and have domestic production or could generate what they don't have..very quickly.

Florida could even make money by leasing the Space Center back to Washington at some laughably high rate the same way the launch center in the old Soviet map is now for them? It would be interesting to see with the President quick to condemn other nations that put down "revolution".

Very true...And, to enhance it's viability, similar contiguous states could merge or, states like Florida, could lease say, the Port of Jacksonville, to Georgia, and make revenue, that way...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join