It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British MP's call for 32% salary increase!? Is this a sick joke?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It's true. Believe it or not, British MP's actually think it's right to give themselves a 32% salary increase when they have imposed public sector salary caps for the past 3 years.

BBC News - MP's call for 32% salary increase

They really are absolutely unbelieveable. They live in their little cocooned, pampered, overpaid bubbles and expect the rest of the country to scrape and bow to their every wish.

They are a bunch of corrupt, juvenile idiots.

They are also entitled to a final salary pension scheme which is something that cannot be afforded for public sector workers - according to the MP's!! It really is like some sort of sick joke.

I was just thinking, maybe this should have been put in the Rant section.

edit on 11/1/2013 by iskander683 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
We should be able to vote on how well we think they are doing, and pay them accordingly.
They arent worth £90k a year, more like £30k!!

CX

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
We should be able to vote on how well we think they are doing, and pay them accordingly.
They arent worth £90k a year, more like £30k!!

More like...You're fired".

CX.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Exactly. I'm sure we'd all like the opportunity to vote on what our salary and perks should be! I know that I'd be raking it in.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
You'd be hard pressed to find an MP that isn't already a millionaire, what with all their directorships, kickbacks and things.
They are the embodiment of the "culture of entitlement" and they act beyond the law, are totally unaccountable.
Guy Fawks had the right idea.
Nothing will change until we have a proper, written constitution, an elected head of state and two elected houses (The second using PR as a means to determine the seats).
Even then it may be tricky cos the corruption runs so deep.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by iskander683

Sorry guys

Im not in the uk but same story over here. Our do nothing sqwauk all day politicians get a raise for cost of living or some rubbish like that this year.

I about spit my coffee out when I heard that some members thought they deserve over 90,000. Unless Im just clueless and your members of Parliament actually get stuff done. I guess it not about public service anymore.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

What makes me laugh is the way they criticise people in other jobs like fire officers and the police for doing secondary work when, as you say, they all have other interests that earn them a fortune. These other workers sometimes need to have other jobs just to keep themselves afloat.

MP's are all for attacking the pay and conditions of public sector workers but when the sight falls on them they froth at the mouth in indignation and rush to explain how hard done by they are.

Hypocritical, corrupt buffoons.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
This should be a 32% DECREASE to prove to the people they are serious about what they are doing. They should also be paid by the hour to ensure they are working in the interest of their country.

Remove expenses for everything but what is necessary too.

I can't stand parasites, and these people are at the pinnacle of leeching. Their interests are self serving and things need to change.

The system has been messed up for ages and it's time for a change, a change that says "I care".

grrrr!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Hold on...we are all in it together......i think that slogan should be Changed to....you are all in the S**t together and we are laughing up our cuffs at you....
what a bunch of despicables these Failure in life are....they use terms like "Strivers and Skivers", "Shirkers and Workers"....most of them wouldn't know what end of a shovel to stick in the ground....

Not long before a few are taken to task anyway....it's only a matter of time....The riots of 18 months ago will look like a childs day out compared to what's about to happen in the coming year.....trust me....The wheels are in motion.

Labour were bad when it came to managing the country...this lot are Evil.....and bad.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenJack

Sorry guys

Im not in the uk but same story over here. Our do nothing sqwauk all day politicians get a raise for cost of living or some rubbish like that this year.

I about spit my coffee out when I heard that some members thought they deserve over 90,000. Unless Im just clueless and your members of Parliament actually get stuff done. I guess it not about public service anymore.

No, my friend, you're not clueless. Our members of parliament do not get things done. They give it all the bluster and sit around jeering, laughing or shouting at each other in a ridiculous pantomine that's called the House of Commons.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I guess politics know no bounds and holds no nationality.

Its as if we have all been sold the same bill of goods.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Slightly ratings seeking headline from the BBC there.

The actual story is IPSA, who actually set the increase now, asked 100 MP's what they thought the salary should be, then they

weighted the results slightly to represent the Commons by party, gender, year elected, and geography.

and the 32% is the average they found.

They haven't 'called' for anything.

MPs haven't suddenly said 'We're awarding ourselves a 32% pay increase'. They've asked 100 of them what they would like and then averaged it out.

edit on 11-1-2013 by khimbar because: A missing n.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
MP's all have their Aides, and the ministers all have their hordes of advisers and researchers. We could make a huge saving by cutting all that and outsourcing the political jobs to India.

Sure, we'd probably still get some corrupt ones, but it would cost the taxpayers a helluva lot less!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I think part of the problem is that people who go into politics are involved in it from quite a young age. They often start off as unpaid dogsbodies to gain experience and stay within that insular political world for the rest of their lives.

As a result, they severely lack life experience and never get the opportunity to gain any. Some of these people go on to become MP's or at least end up in a position where they influence decision making by MP's and ministers.

How can they influence/make decisions when they haven't got a clue about anything except politics?

The whole system needs a good enema.

edit on 11/1/2013 by iskander683 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
Slightly ratings seeking headline from the BBC there.

The actual story is IPSA, who actually set the increase now, asked 100 MP's what they thought the salary should be, then they

weighted the results slightly to represent the Commons by party, gender, year elected, and geography.

and the 32% is the average they found.

They haven't 'called' for anything.

MPs haven't suddenly said 'We're awarding ourselves a 32% pay increase'. They've asked 100 of them what they would like and then averaged it out.

edit on 11-1-2013 by khimbar because: A missing n.

I know what you're saying about the BBC headline, but the point is, they don't deserve any pay rise at all. If I was an MP and was approached by IPSA in relation to my views on a salary increase, I'd feel to much shame to say that I deserved a 32% increase.

Not some MP's though. Oh, no. They still actually think that they deserve a huge pay rise.

They are a joke.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Baahhh!

Gaahhh!

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Who voted these clowns in anyway?

I am yet to meet someone who did, either that or they are lying to save face.

I take it their pay rise is coming from the savings they have amassed from penalising us with austerity, damn, I thought austerity applied to all...Oh well guess you learn something new everyday.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon

I take it their pay rise is coming from the savings they have amassed from penalising us with austerity

Which pay rise would that be again?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Wait! What's that over there!? It's an unemployed disabled person, look at him, it's all his fault. Hate him not us hard working honest to goodness MPs. And remember kids, "We're in it together."

/Sarcasm off

It's now getting to the point where nothing these buffoons do actually manages to shock me. Almost like they have been so downright dastardly for so long they can literally do anything they please. Everything they do is subsidised or claimable on expenses, EVERYTHING. These good for nothing leeches don't take a dump without claiming it on expenses. In the meantime, benefits have been capped for 3 years, energy companies continue to post record profits and our economy continues to stagnate while they demand a 32% pay rise!?

I know what they would be getting if I were allowed to vote on their salary, their P45 and marching orders...

EDIT: Just noticed Khimbar's post above concerning the somewhat "Headline Grabbing" nature of the story. Be that as it may, you can be assured that this survey will form the basis of the next round of pay rises. However, you have made a valid point, kudos.
edit on 11-1-2013 by PW229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Yeah, more sensationalism.

Sure, those self-serving, self-advancing egotists believe that they deserve a far greater salary - but it isn't going to happen.

MP's no longer have a say in their own pay rises etc, IPSA is now responsible for such matters.

According to it's own website;

IPSA was created in 2009 by the Parliamentary Standards Act. We are tasked with independently monitoring and controlling MPs’ expenses, pay and pensions. We set up new rules to make a clean break with the past. IPSA is transparent and regularly publishes details of MPs’ expense claims.

parliamentarystandards.org.uk...

I very much doubt IPSA will be as agressive in it's monitoring of such thing's as I would like, however, to be fair it must be a given a chance over a relatively prolongued period of time to prove exactly how rigorous and transparent it will be.

The pay freeze on MP's wages extends into 2013 and it will advise on a possible 1% increase for the next two years later in the year.
IPSA has also brought MP's pension contributions in line with other public sector workers.

So it has to be said that so far so good.

Personally I think the whole UK electoral / parliamentary process etc requires a radical and urgent overhaul and full system reboot - perhaps that's a topic for another thread.

edit on 11/1/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by PW229
while they demand a 32% pay rise!?

Where have they demanded a 32% pay rise please?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join