It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taft School Shooting: California Politicians React

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Taft School Shooting: California Politicians React

www.huffingtonpost.com

Politicians responded swiftly to the news of a high school shooting in Taft, Calif., calling for an end to gun violence in schools and expressing sympathy for the victims and their families.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), whose own father attended Taft Union High School, lamented the frequency of school shootings in America and asked, "how many more shootings must there be in America before we come to the realization that guns and grievances do not belong together?"

Sen. Feinstein had promised to reintroduce an expired bill banning assault weapons after a mass shooting in Newtown, C
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
[url=http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/10/169055098/reports-two-hurt-one-suspect-in-custody-after-shooting-at-calif-school]www.npr.org[/ur l]

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
So once again they want to ban "assault weapons" over a school shooting and another shooting in a gun free zone. Now in California there is talk about banning assault weapons over this, even though no assault weapon was used.
But i thought they already had laws against 16 year old kids buying guns, how did that work out?

By that time, the gunman had also shot at another student, but did not hit him. The gunman was reportedly a student of the class, which had about 28 students in it when he arrived, armed with a 12-gauge shotgun and multiple rounds.
www.npr.org...

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Some in leadership have absolutely no sense of shame and wouldn't understand the term mercenary if it were carefully explained to them. Low class might register with them though, but never for how well it applies to leaders like Feinstein herself.

Very low class of her. Way to go on not leaving a tragedy unexploited.

S/F for the share.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm not sure Dianne, how many more thousands of innocent human beings are we going to kill on are endless war on terror and drugs?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Just wanted to add for those of you that live in southern California. This was a high school in Taft, not the Taft high in the LA school district.

CX

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), whose own father attended Taft Union High School, lamented the frequency of school shootings in America and asked, "how many more shootings must there be in America before we come to the realization that guns and grievances do not belong together?"

Is that just guns used in school shootings, or should we ask the administration if this applies to soldiers guns and the wars we are constantly sent to too?

Still guns and grievances.....however i guess there is no money to be made from school shootings so it's different.

CX.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Is the end of the world coming or something? I feel like I'm missing something here. There can't just be this many more lunatics than there were 5 or 10 years ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ca already has some of the strictest gun laws in America, banning 10 round plus clips already, and several assault weapon types are not purchasable. 30 day waiting periods, back ground checks etc.

None of that helped prevent the shooting, all of which Feinstien is trying to propose on the national level, she is clearly not getting the right message from these shootings.

Guns are not the problem, regulation wont change anything, we need to address the deeper issues not look at quick fixes.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Agreed on all you're saying. California is becoming a high crime war zone compared to many places outside it for reasons Feinstein will never talk about. Their state is broke broke broke. Down to the City levels. That's meant cops cut, community programs and services cut, maintenance on things like parks and playgrounds cut... Everything cut little bits at a time.

If ever there was a place where the gun itself isn't the problem, it is California as it's becoming.

* A note to make regarding my strong opinion is that I grew up there and still have ties back there by family in north and south, while California was the far end of my own weekly runs for the last 5 years of driving. So, it's more than media stuff forming my opinion of the horrible state of affairs. Guns aren't the problem for Californians. California is the problem.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
According to my local news, the school had an armed resource officer--who happened to be snowed in at home that day.

How ironic is that, considering the recent efforts to put police, etc, in schools..

Oh wait, had the principal been armed this would never have happened...

Oh wait, the teacher in the classroom he entered talked him out of it. With no gun.

Just a copycat wanting attention, alas.

And a shotgun, at that.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Lack of value is a main contributor.

Simple logic:
Value is placed on currency.
People are not currency.
People are of no value.

It is 4 years after the 2008 bubble popped. no one was punished but the innocent. Action teaches.

No hope for the future, coupled with no value allows for this destructive behavior.

Remove guns = no change to what is driving hopelessness.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am not as smart as your average politician I’d wager but I am going to go out on a limb here…

If current restrictive gun legislation already in place in California didn’t prevent this most recent shooting I fail to see what enacting similar (CA law is almost identical to Feinstein’s national proposal) laws at the national level will do to stop this type thing from occurring elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
My understanding was that the teen that was shot was a school bully and the shooter was one of his victims.

calif schools have a lot of problems and this is just another case.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This is such BS IT WASN'T A SCHOOL SHOOTING.

On KFI radio

Nobody was shot.

1st injury was a girl standing near the shotgun who sustained hearing damage.

2nd injury was a person tripping and falling while running in hysterical fear.

So the statists traitors in CA should STFU already.
edit on 10-1-2013 by lolita64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lolita64
This is such BS IT WASN'T A SCHOOL SHOOTING.

Shooting...at school.

top topics

join