It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whole family of elephants killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
well the title says it all

a whole family of elephants killed for their ivory in a kenyan reserve

its the worst killing to date the pics are to bad for me to put up

it was just on ITV NEWS ill try and find a link

but these poachers have no respect for life its so sad

news.images.itv.com...

10:25PM, WED 9 JAN 2013 ANGER OVER ELEPHANT KILLINGS Kenyan Prime Minister asks for international help to curb poaching menace Rohit Kachroo: Africa Correspondent - last updated Wed 9 Jan 2013 World Kenya Some of the slaughtered elephants lie on the ground Photo: ITV News I can show you what it looked like, but I can’t tell you what it smelt like as flies swarmed and maggots ate away at the corpses. It seems that the family of elephants had tried to race away as bullets started flying. But none managed to escape. One mother lay where she fell next to her daughter. Nearby, in the baking heat, were the bodies of three siblings; half a mile away there were another five corpses. Others were scattered over several acres. In all, 12 lay dead. To get to the scene of Kenya’s worst ever attack by poachers, we couldn’t drive. We had to fly by plane, then helicopter. So imagine the determination and the planning of the gang of 17 poachers – murderers – who had travelled by foot to kill the family of elephants, one by one, in Saturday morning’s massacre. They must have trekked for several weeks to get to the spot, setting up camps, shielding themselves from the spotter planes which regularly fly overhead. They almost certainly had access to local knowledge. The family of 12 elephants in Kenya, on Saturday Credit: ITV News These are big-time gangsters who have started a lucrative process which will almost certainly end with someone in the Far East. It may be a man who feels that his sexual performance is about to improve with a bag of ground tusk, or a homeowner hoping that a new ivory centrepiece will add something to their living room. But thanks to China’s growing middle class, the demand for tusks is pushing up the prices. And the tactics used by poachers are bound to become more sophisticated as their targets become more lucrative. Struggling African governments will continue to struggle to combat the poaching menace. But tonight, in the face of Kenya’s latest gruesome attack, the country’s Prime Minister Raila Odinga seemed to accept that his government, despite its bravado, is incapable of beating the poachers on its own. He appealed for international help to contain the escalating threat. Last year, 360 elephants were killed in Kenya while in 2011 the figure was 289. And, of course, 2013 already looks like it will be another terrible year. Prime Minister Odinga's call has yet to be answered, but those who love this species will want the world to come together to fight the criminal gangs and cut consumer demand.

edit on 10/1/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Very sad indeed. Elephants are very beautiful creatures which are very family orientated. Can't even imagine the terror they felt as these monsters gunned them down. If it was up to me, I would give poachers the death penalty, but of course that won't bring back the elephants.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
That is just appalling, these people should be caught and have their skeletons surgically removed slowly with rusty tools.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
That is just appalling, these people should be caught and have their skeletons surgically removed slowly with rusty tools.

Edit to add: while keeping them alive

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

This is sad and reflects the issues here with part of mankind feeling they have the right to mistreat the Fauna life anyway they wish here. The potential Karma related, smh. But it wont be detected by those who feel humans are alone..

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Disgusting
These poachers aren't people, they're a plague. They deserve to be caught, shot up like their prey, and left for a herd to trample. They deserve to be killed by what they snuff out.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If there is no market for ivory and the PM takes a closer look at Kenya's economy and perhaps forgoe a palace or too, he might think about investing in job creation schemes that enable people to earn a decent living.

Sorry, but whilst I find poaching and the killing of so noble a beast as an elephant/s abhorent, back in the 1980's, Kenya expanded it's tourist industry to such an extent that indigenous people living on the land designated for 'reserves', were forcibly relocated and those that refused to leave the land their families had farmed for generations, were massacred.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This news made my heart suddenly weigh as heavy as lead

Is there anything good at all on this planet? All we hear about is massacres, poverty, war, greed, cruelty and catastrophe.

Is there anything we humans do that is of benefit to our planet or any life on it? I despair, I really do

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
This news made my heart suddenly weigh as heavy as lead

Is there anything good at all on this planet? All we hear about is massacres, poverty, war, greed, cruelty and catastrophe.

Is there anything we humans do that is of benefit to our planet or any life on it? I despair, I really do

Yes there is. Its just those humans who do make up the majority here on EA*RTH sadly their influences are overstepped by more nefarious activities by those w/o no data of Georgia Guidstones 500,000,000 sustained w/ animal life balance. So they act up here and get tagged later. Humanity has hope and integrity its just the powerful are causing glitches for now...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I know very sad i wept

i was close to not being able to post this thread

mainly the pics

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sadly the hunters generally come from poverty and are doing what they have to in order to feed their families and stay alive. If only rich people refused to buy the ivory there would be no market for it any more.

Over the past eight years, the price of ivory has gone up from about $100 per kilogram ($100 per 2.2 pounds) to $1,800, creating a lucrative black market.

Gangs are also cashing in and facilitating the transport and distribution.

edit on 10/1/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

"well the title says it all

a whole family of elephants killed for their ivory in a kenyan reserve

its the worst killing to date the pics are to bad for me to put up

it was just on ITV NEWS ill try and find a link

but these poachers have no respect for life its so sad "

Since when is an elephant more of a life form than a cow?

Where is your thread on mass slaughtering of cows?

I didn't actually look, but I doubt you have one.

Enough sensationalism from you, sir.

in other words... f@#$ elephants.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tgalahan2

Good Point.......So did they eat the Elephants? Did they put all that good juicy meat to use? Would feed an African village for 6 months.....use the hide as leather fro shields and shoes...did they do that?

Perhaps we should give the Elephants.."Man" guns and tell them its open season....They're only Men...Is that ok?

Let see...10,000 Elephants left in Africa, 1 Billion Black Fellas.......Yep ...should keep them busy for a while.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

You just lost me a bit after the first paragraph there.

Are you saying they did or didn't eat the meat? If they didn't, it doesn't matter. They can use the animal parts for what they wish, just as we use animal parts for what we wish.

And you lost me with the whole give elephants "man" guns. Should we give cows "man" butcheries?

just clarify please, we may be on the same page.

OH yea.. did I say it yet?

f#$#$ elephants.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Here is a perfect chance for Greenpeace, PETA, Bill Gates, or someone else of means, to put their money to good use.

Take a page from Diane Fossey and offer a reward for the corpses of poachers. Now THAT is a cause I would donate to.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

It is funny to me that everyone is blaming the poachers.... yes they do kill, but why?

DO YOU KNOW WHO BUYS THEM?

Its like blaming the car's engine for using up the gas. instead of the person who drives the whole thing.

Cut out these transaction with strict laws and regulations, like shoot to kill and fined heavily if someone is caught doing a transaction..... and Kenyan poachers can't do nothing with their Ivories... for them its just bones...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Lol it's too much.

Who really gives a sh## about elephants, people? And why??

Once again, you slaughter masses of chicken and cow

But care about elephants WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

WHAT IS IN YOUR BRAIN THAT MAKES IT GO TICK TICK?????????

And who cares if it's to eat them or what.

If you kill a damn animal, you do what you WANT with it. Eating it doesn't matter. They use it don't they???

Who are you to say if you kill an animal you can only eat it? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO SAY THAT!!

If you kill a damn animal, you do whatever the heck you want with it. I say, as long as it's put to any use it is acceptable. Hell, even if you don't put it to use. Whatever happened to SPORT? Why can't they hunt elephants for sport?

We hunt deer for sport.

WHY ELEPHANTS!!!!! SPEAK DAMN YOU!!!

Endangered? Alright, alright. but... ARE elephants endangered? And if they are, the issue should be rebreeding them, not putting total control on killing them and shaming those that do. I guess.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

It is funny to me that everyone is blaming the poachers.... yes they do kill, but why? TO FEED THEIR FAMILY

DO YOU KNOW WHO BUYS THEM? CHINA

Its like blaming the car's engine for using up the gas. instead of the person who drives the whole thing.

Cut out these transaction with strict laws and regulations, like shoot to kill and fined heavily if someone is caught doing a transaction..... and Kenyan poachers can't do nothing with their Ivories... for them its just bones...

ANSWERED YOUR QUESTIONS IN QUOTE

this was done on a reserve ,when one is killed thats bad enough in my eyes, but who am i?
BUT to take out A WHOLE FAMILY .MY HEART BLEEDS
By the way this is not a go at you as i see where your going with what you are saying

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51

Good Point.......So did they eat the Elephants? Did they put all that good juicy meat to use? Would feed an African village for 6 months.....use the hide as leather fro shields and shoes...did they do that?

Perhaps we should give the Elephants.."Man" guns and tell them its open season....They're only Men...Is that ok?

Let see...10,000 Elephants left in Africa, 1 Billion Black Fellas.......Yep ...should keep them busy for a while.

the thing that responded to our thread doesnt think about the numbers of cows that are bred for food
and that elephants are in decline
and on a different topic cows are bad for the OZONE they fart methane 24/7/365

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

YOU ARE THE BIGGEST #### I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS ON ATS

TROLL ALONG POO BRAINS
edit on 12/1/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join