It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else think this is a bit ridiculous?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
why don't you just go sit somewhere else? seems quite petty to me.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV

Originally posted by oonkala

Originally posted by TravisBickle451
If you can't get a whole crowd to do the chair civil disobedience thing, the next best thing would be to flood the office with just as many and more paperwork of people asking if they can use a chair.

Then follow that with forms asking if you could use an umbrella, walking cane, and dozens of other ridiculous yet sensible items.

Let them see the silliness of their bureaucracy with the mounds of paperwork they'd have to work through.

Yep! I like this one! Do this, make them a victim of their own stupidity. Bwahahaha!
Yay for you on this comment, I like it!
Well I was "protesting" in the same spot today with my chair.

I made a sign and everything, which got the attention of passing students and I should have "backup" on Monday.

So yeah, hoping we can attract a bunch more people to join in and show them how stupid their non-existent rule is...

Good Job!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
why don't you just go sit somewhere else? seems quite petty to me.
Why yes, yes it is.

I mean why would the school get so bent out of shape at a student bringing in a chair to sit on?

Oh you were talking about me?

Go re-read the thread and you might get it.

And in regard to sitting somewhere else, well:

Originally posted by ArrowsNV

Originally posted by Manhater
No, I read it.

I don't bring my chair from home to have a place to sit at in college.

Go to the cafeteria or something. Why can't you study at the student center?

I'm sure they have one.

They have plenty of chairs there.
Maybe because I just don't want to. Did that ever occur to you?

Maybe I thought, "Gee, it's such a nice sunny day outside, maybe I should go sit out there and enjoy nature whilst finishing my assigned classwork.".

I don't see why my reasoning matters. It's not like I was picking the chair up and beating people with it, I was sitting in it doing homework, what most students are expected to do while in school.

The fact of the matter is that my bringing of a chair to school broke absolutely no rules. None whatsoever.

When I asked the school to show me this rule they were saying I was violating, they could not produce it. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, it does not exist and I can bring whatever the hell I want (within reason of course) all WITHOUT having to ask for their permission.

Here, let me try and make this simpler for you...

If you got in trouble for minding your own business and not breaking any laws or rules, and the people getting you in trouble were holding your educational or job future ransom, I'm pretty sure you would be pissed.

Now imagine they are doing all that simply because you just brought in a chair to sit on in between your classes. Pretty stupid move on the part of the school.

I don't get how people like you can just roll over and take getting reamed by a bunch of power-tripping a-holes. "You're wasting your time", and "Why bother", and "You won't win", I've been hearing that junk from people like you for the past 48 hours.

I'm sorry you don't seem to understand the value in standing up for one's self, but maybe when your educational or work record is getting desecrated for absolutely no valid reason at all, then you might understand

Plus, why should I have to ask permission to bring a chair, when other students bring plenty of other crap that is way more "distracting" and "disruptive" than an object that is not meant to be hit, thrown, tossed, or moved much at all really.

I hope this happens to you someday. Seriously. I hope some figure of authority in your life screws you over for something stupid, trivial, and pointless. I hope you and everyone I have had to repeat this whole concept over and over to today get seriously shafted for doing nothing wrong, maybe then you'll get it.
edit on 1/11/2013 by ArrowsNV because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The school is trying to improve the campus for everyone's benefit. They removed a bench because they obviously don't want people congregating in that area. It doesn't seem like a bunch of lawn chairs is going to be very attractive, so obviously they will tell you not to bring it. They have a right to do what they want with the campus and decided, for whatever reason, that they don't want people sitting there. Surely there are other places to gather/sit/study. Seems the reasonable thing would be to just relocate and let the college implement their changes since they are not hindering your education.

You're wishing for people to get screwed over for not agreeing with you, but this issue really doesn't seem like something to make a Great Stand over. They're trying to make the place better for everyone, including staff who are there long after you are gone. So many big things going on and you're worried about a bench? Seems like college activism has taken quite a turn.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by torque
The school is trying to improve the campus for everyone's benefit. They removed a bench because they obviously don't want people congregating in that area. It doesn't seem like a bunch of lawn chairs is going to be very attractive, so obviously they will tell you not to bring it. They have a right to do what they want with the campus and decided, for whatever reason, that they don't want people sitting there. Surely there are other places to gather/sit/study. Seems the reasonable thing would be to just relocate and let the college implement their changes since they are not hindering your education.

You're wishing for people to get screwed over for not agreeing with you, but this issue really doesn't seem like something to make a Great Stand over. They're trying to make the place better for everyone, including staff who are there long after you are gone. So many big things going on and you're worried about a bench? Seems like college activism has taken quite a turn.

If the case is that they don't want people congregating there then they should put up a sign. Since I assume people can still stand there.
Then the issue about saying its the rules and then not being able to produce any such rules. That's a "just because I said so" thing, and that's not a good enough reason.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by oonkala
If the case is that they don't want people congregating there then they should put up a sign. Since I assume people can still stand there.
Then the issue about saying its the rules and then not being able to produce any such rules. That's a "just because I said so" thing, and that's not a good enough reason.
This is exactly correct.

I already asked the school if that was the case, that they didn't want us congregating there, but they said no.

Also, I was NOT the only person over there when this happened. There were plenty of other people in the area who were never told they could not hang out there.

There is no sign that says "No Loitering" "No Trespassing" or anything like it. The only sign nearby is one with an ashtray on it that says "No Smoking Past This Point"

Originally posted by torque

For the last F#*$KING TIME: ITS NOT ABOUT THE DAMN BENCH. ITS ABOUT THE FACT THAT MY EDUCATIONAL RECORD HAS BEEN SMEARED SIMPLY BECAUSE I BROUGHT A CHAIR TO SCHOOL.

Nowhere in their handbook does it say that you are not allowed to bring items from home, and I see it happen all the time, other students bring in plenty of "distracting & disruptive outside equipment" and never get their permanent record screwed over. But when I bring something, it's against some rule that the college cannot locate and show me.

Jeez people, read the damn thread before you post. I'm f'king sick of repeating myself because you people don't get that it's not about the bench, it's not about the damn chair, it's about a ruined academic record for a student who did nothing wrong.

edit on 1/11/2013 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
You know what, screw it...

ADMIN, PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

I'm sick of repeating myself because most people won't read what I posted other than the OP. (Even though that explains what I have to keep repeating pretty clearly, you just gotta read it...)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I did read it. They took the bench. Anyone with a half functioning brain would understand that means no sitting there anymore and move on. But children make a scene and demand to know "where it says..." and bring their own chairs and so forth. "Because I said so" is valid. If you're throwing a cussing fit here and scooping up your barbies to go home, then I can only imagine what a face to face is like. Stop shooting yourself in the foot, ask them to remove the infraction and move on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join