It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[BREAKING] Lottery Winner Was Found to Be Killed By Cyanide Day After Collecting Winnings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Chicago lottery winner killed by cyanide poisoning day after collecting winnings

news.nationalpost.com...

CHICAGO — With no signs of trauma and nothing to raise suspicions, the sudden death of a Chicago man just as he was about to collect nearly $425,000 in lottery winnings was initially ruled a result of natural causes.

Nearly six months later, authorities have a mystery on their hands after medical examiners, responding to a relative’s pleas, did an expanded screening and determined that Urooj Khan, 46, died shortly after ingesting a lethal dose of cyanide. The finding has triggered a homicide investigation, the Chicago Police Department said Monday.

He scratched off the ticket, then jumped up and down and repeatedly shouted, “I hit a million,” Khan recalled days later during a ceremony in which Illinois Lottery officials presented him with an oversized check. He said he was so overjoyed he ran back into the store and tipped the clerk $100.

“Winning the lottery means everything to me,” he said at the June 26 ceremony, also attended by his wife, Shabana Ansari; their daughter, Jasmeen Khan; and several friends. He said he would put some of his winnings into his businesses and donate some to a children’s hospital....

Cyanide can get into the body by being inhaled, swallowed or injected. Deborah Blum, an expert on poisons who has written about the detectives who pioneered forensic toxicology, said the use of cyanide in killings has become rare in part because it is difficult to obtain and normally easy to detect, often leaving blue splotches on a victim’s skin.

Other Links:
www.foxnews.com...
www.thestar.com...
www.timeslive.co.za...
www.suntimes.com...
edit on 8-1-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The articles state that there was no apparent motive yet for the homicide but to me this is shocking. If people names who win a lottery are being made public, doesn't it put those people at risk? If so, why would there be no protection for the winners?

At this point they might as well roll out all the names of purchasers of lottery tickets to make it truly public.

I don't know what to say but it the world is definitely a crazy place.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
How?

In city that can't solve half their crimes.

It takes weeks to get tox back.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

He was killed in June...this is an update news release from the story.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
S&F

Could it be an inside job (lotto 'payout' gone wrong)?

Or.. someone in his social circle wanted him dead out of jealousy, etc?

^ wow.. American lemmings* that desperate?

(the Disney variety)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

I would be thinking more of the jealousy side of the hit job. The question is this....if it was an inner social job, how would that person who did it have access to cyanide???

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

This is just horrible,and he looks like such a sweet guy too! Very sad,my sympathy to his family-can you imagine,such a break in life,but then followed by death by poisoning.Something definitely seems off here-i mean c'mon-whats the odds of winning a goodly amount in the lottery,then suddenly dying like this?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Indeed,

so this happened several months ago, then where's the REAL update into the investigation?

All I see upon closer look, is the medical examiner ruled death by cyanide

Don't the Chicago detective have any suspects, leads etc by now? Time, evidence is ticking away

Another 'Unsolved Mysteries' file, indefinitely, eh?

They're going to exhume the body. What about investigated for cyanide source, indeed?!

RIP

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The iceman killer who was caught used to put cyanide into a pump mister and spray it into peoples faces and the only reason they clued onto the cyanide was because he was being investigated for other missing persons and the cops found out later about all the other poisonings.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilky

Cite your source please. Thank you

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by Bilky

I was'nt aware that every comment warranted a citation, I watched it on history channel i think but I'll try to track it down just for you.
Richard Kuklinski
He favored the use of cyanide since it killed quickly and was hard to detect in a toxicology test. He would variously administer it by injection, putting it on a person's food, by aerosol spray, or by simply spilling it on the victim's skin. Extract from Wiki
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-1-2013 by Bilky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
sounds like someone close to him wanted the cash
here in the UK you can choose to remain annonymous if you win the lottery.
so in theory only family and close friends would know of your winnings!
greed is a killer

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilky

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by Bilky

I was'nt aware that every comment warranted a citation, I watched it on history channel i think but I'll try to track it down just for you.

en.wikipedia.org...

here you go

and part 2

Kuklinski preferred a cyanide solution administered from a nasal spray bottle. A surprise spritz to the face usually produced a shocked inhalation from the victim, who as a result would die in under a minute.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Excellent effort good sir.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
sounds like someone close to him wanted the cash
here in the UK you can choose to remain annonymous if you win the lottery.
so in theory only family and close friends would know of your winnings!
greed is a killer

Would make most sense his estate would inherit/benefit so much, financially, from his death

Assuming the lottery winning were fully paid out, which seems to be the case.

Fact cyanide was used makes its all the more a sophisticated and organized homicide, and forensics would unlikely disclose to the public the possible venues obviously but hope they actually are getting somewhere in the investigation.

Otherwise someone, be it his estate/kin, is filthy rich plus getting off scott-free

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
All I can imagine, if it's directly related and not some other thing going on already for him (unlikely coincidence, I know) is that he either had an heir or someone who thought they were heir to his will .... kinda greedy of them I'd say and impatient too.. OR he was estranged from someone in his life and made it very clear to them after winning that the person/people were STILL SOL and now, always would be so "nyah nyah, I win and you lose" type of thing. I mean, a family member or something would be a thought.

Cold Case had an episode like this is what brought that to mind. For anyone who hadn't seen it, it's a TV show based around a fictional Federal unit assigned to solve old homicides and one was a Lottery winner who basically had told a loser branch of the family tree where to get off ....and got himself killed for it. Sometimes even real world people watch TV and get stupid ideas?

Cyanide just seems far too deliberate and personal? (The Iceman is another idea.. I listened to the unabridged audio of what he did...and will never..ever forget it. The man was a true cold monster. No humanity.. None)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilky

Read his biography - The Iceman, a really chilling read. He used to practice different methods of killing on homeless people.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndreasGilbertus
reply to post by Bilky

Read his biography - The Iceman, a really chilling read. He used to practice different methods of killing on homeless people.

Just watching the doco gave me chills the man talks about killing with the same emotion as making a cup of coffee.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilky

No kidding... I think it's the almost amused way he described staking out people in a cave in New Jersey and then leaving with a camera running to record ..the rats coming. The audio book, read by someone else save for the last jail house interviews with him personally ..was horrible. Or likewise, injuring someone badly enough to make them bait and leaving them out in the tide water to be eaten there. I mean wow... I didn't believe monsters at that level existed.

Who knows what happened with this guy and his lottery win perhaps being a death sentence but once learning people like 'The Iceman' are real and actually DO live among us? Well.. that was a life changing thing to realize as a real truth.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

That's a lot of taxes to be taken out for 1 million dollar win.

Oh, and poor guy. I am pretty sure it was a family member.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join