It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Printer Ink Ripoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just got back from that BBBS [Blue (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) Big Box Store with my wife. Among other things, we were looking for ink for an HP printer we had just set up - it was bought at an auction months ago, and we had just got around to using it. Anyway, there was the right ink, the black bundled with the color, for $44. OK, ouch, but into the cart with it. A little later, we were also picking up printer paper, and there in the same office-supply area, was the exact same ink pack: $31!!! We put them side-by-side, and sure enough, the bar codes were different for the exact same thing, so they're not quite exactly alike. We checked out with the cheaper. I can only think that the bean-counters in Arkansas know enough about our buying habits to think they can get away with it.

Folks, this sort of thing must repeat dozens of times in different areas of said BBBS, not just here in New Mexico, but all over. Scout around, look around, and think! I only hope this post saves some of you some money...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Those cartridges are such a rip-off!!

Generally the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the ink. They basically charge more for the ink than for the printer. That's how they hook you.

I went to laser printer. Drums are expensive but last longer.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I am in New Mexico too, though it doesn't matter. I worked at one of those blue big box retailers during a Christmas season for extra cabbage, and I can tell you form the other side of the register they are DEFINITELY a ripoff. The manager monkeys used to push us HARD to sell those things because the margins were so high. For example, a $44 cartridge might have a cost of $6 or $8.

Cables are another ripoff. A 10' USB cable that had a price of $30 might cost the store $3. Buy that stuff online. There are BETTER BUYS out there, wink nudge.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Buy an ink refill kit, youll save tons of money.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Laser Monks. It's run by a bunch of monks in a monastery, and the price is less than half what you'll pay anywhere else.

My history professor hipped me to them. Can't speak highly enough of them. Good prices, good customer service.

Oh, and they aren't an evil corporation, so

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It really sucks when your printer says you are out of ink when there is still plenty of ink left and refuses to do anything. Trying to reset some of the firmware with a SSC tool fails work, buying some new ink does work for a little bit...

join