It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Seeds are Worthless

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
There's more than one way to skin a cat and there are more than 3 ways to grow produce - none of which include clearing land for industrial agriculture. Heirloom seeds are invaluable right now, no need to wait for SHTF.

Quick and easy examples. These are all subject to your mentioned home raids, absolutely, but I'll be killed in a raid of my home and then the garden won't matter:

1 - Grow Boxes, Homemade Worm Castings, and Lights - these start my garden every year in my garage. Some of the fruits/veggies remain in the boxes, some are transplanted. At the end of the season the produce in the boxes is moved into my garage and back under lights to continue producing as long as possible. I have T-5 lights which produce minimal heat and draw minimal electricity while giving higher luminous efficacy (lumens per Watt used). This year they have been connected to small solar panels - this would not continue to be useful in your scenario as the solar panels would be highly visible. And a worm farm - if you don't have one I highly recommend one.

2 - Hydroponics - purely for the growth rate which can be 40% faster than soil gardening because nutrients are more readily available to the plant. Using the same lights mentioned above, this is doable indoors, subject to a home raid, but quietly sustainable using expanded shale or loose clay for growing mediums and knowledge about the nutrients plants require.

3 - Companion Planting - use the current shrubbery around your house and in your neighborhood to "hide" your produce. Plant "Three Sisters" style - worked for the Native Americans terrifically. My corn, beans, and squash have no problems growing up against my Russian Olive and Pyracantha hedges.

4 - Permaculture - what the gov't doesn't understand is food will not be confiscated. That's just my hedge that happens to berry throughout the year; those are just weeds growing near the pond; the mushrooms on my spruce trees? they're not edible; those bushy things that look like celery, they're so pretty; etc.

Of course, none of this is possible without knowledge. Gardening teaches me something every year. It's not something you'll be able to open a packet of seeds and magically do when you absolutely need to. Knowledge - before god, guns, gold, or seeds.
edit on 4/5/2013 by Halekoch because: Forgot Permaculture

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
People have been growing concealed crops for decades now.... think about it.

Scenarios are just speculative....

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I would have to agree with what a few others have pointed out- a concealed garden, alone, cannot sustain a family. They'd likely have to supplement with foraged food and hunt game. The other downfall with having a garden concealed out in the elements is that you are at the mercy of the weather. The indoor methods mentioned that involve lights would require electricity. Ultimately, seeds would be more useful once the state of the entire nation has declined past the point of government control. Even then they serve more as a supplement than a solution.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
It all depends on what happens, really. In some situations there would be no "government" left.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'll give the OP credit for a few points.You will need a lot of room for a decent garden,and without a power source,indoor or hydroponics will be difficult.That said,he assumes the powers the will exist will be hunting you down like wild dogs.I disagrre with that,as they will probably be too busy to care about you and let you die out.Gardening in a bug out situation would be difficult,impossible if your constantly moving and defending yourself.Thats why its even more important to plant and preserve food now.I'll keep seeds handy,as you never know what the situation your facing is.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join