It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul Calls For Deacreasing Foreign Aid While on His First Trip to Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

"It will harder to be a friend of Israel if we are out of money. It will be harder to defend Israel if we destroy our country in the process," he told the Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies, an Israeli think tank. "I think there will be significant repercussions to running massive deficits ... you destroy your currency by spending money you don't have."

In 1st visit to Israel, Republican Senator Rand Paul calls for gradual reduction of aid

I 100% back this. I'm a supporter of Israel, but only if they stand on their own two feet. Countries need to stand on their own. And our money flowing into their coffers hasn't helped in the least. We keep sending bags of cash, yet every country we send cash to, and have for years, is still poor. We should cut our losses and take care of American citizens for a change.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Israel gets about $3 billion a year in military aid from the U.S.

Actually Israel receives quite a lot more than three billion a year from America. If you count the loans and grants that are immediately forgiven it's between 12 to 15 billion a year.

"I'm concerned that some of the weaponry that we are currently giving to Egypt may one day be used against Israel," he said

I'm more concerned that the weapons we give Israel being used against America. Israel has a habit of selling weapons we give them on the black market.

Judging by the article it's just lip service you can tell that by the way he says Israel has to have permission from America to do anything. He will get his orders from Benny and do what he is told. Rand showed his true colors when he went against his father in the election. Hope he enjoys his only term in office.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I think he was talking about direct funds. If you want to talk overall value of America's assistance, even $15 billion is short.

I'm not anti-Israel, but I am anti-welfare for other nations no matter how friendly we are with them. It's time for Israel and other nations to grow up and be independent.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I am all for reeling in the tax dollars being used for foreign aid, but the real debt derives from the "entitlements."

I don't like to use that word, since many US taxpayers are contributing to programs so as to reap the benefits later in life. So those of us paying in are MORE than entitled - it was our own money to begin with.

Those NOT paying in, but receiving benefits, are entitled. And they far outnumber the former.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

"It will harder to be a friend of Israel if we are out of money. It will be harder to defend Israel if we destroy our country in the process," he told the Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies, an Israeli think tank. "I think there will be significant repercussions to running massive deficits ... you destroy your currency by spending money you don't have."

In 1st visit to Israel, Republican Senator Rand Paul calls for gradual reduction of aid

I 100% back this. I'm a supporter of Israel, but only if they stand on their own two feet. Countries need to stand on their own. And our money flowing into their coffers hasn't helped in the least. We keep sending bags of cash, yet every country we send cash to, and have for years, is still poor. We should cut our losses and take care of American citizens for a change.

/TOA

Not to mention all the other countries we send aid to, who kill our soldiers, and target our civilian tourists......

Pull it all back.......stop funding people that hate us........take care of our own......

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by capod2t
I am all for reeling in the tax dollars being used for foreign aid, but the real debt derives from the "entitlements."

I don't like to use that word, since many US taxpayers are contributing to programs so as to reap the benefits later in life. So those of us paying in are MORE than entitled - it was our own money to begin with.

Those NOT paying in, but receiving benefits, are entitled. And they far outnumber the former.

Baby steps. I think we will stop giving foreign aid before we stop entitlement spending. And I think the foreign aid issue is closer to a resolution than some people think.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by The Old American

/TOA

Not to mention all the other countries we send aid to, who kill our soldiers, and target our civilian tourists......

Pull it all back.......stop funding people that hate us........take care of our own......

Exactly. We've given billions over the years for African relief. Who can get on their feet with billions of dollars? Apparently the Africans can't. We need to pull back and let someone else take over for a while so we can fix our own house.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Quit funding the UN and Islamist states.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Rand showed his true colors when he went against his father in the election.

Rand showed his true colors when he chose a different candidate after his father had publically suspended his campaign and acknowledged he lacked the deligates to win the nomination, you mean? I've never understood the butthurt over Rand's endorsement. Is it because he was smart enough to stop beating a dead horse, unlike the handfull of RP diehards who, even after Ron himself had said "enough", continued to delude themselves?

This OP is a great example of how Rand Paul has a much better chance at the presidency than his father did. He's not only intelligent, he's rational and logical, understanding that absolutes don't exist in real politics.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by buster2010
Rand showed his true colors when he went against his father in the election.

Rand showed his true colors when he chose a different candidate after his father had publically suspended his campaign and acknowledged he lacked the deligates to win the nomination, you mean? I've never understood the butthurt over Rand's endorsement. Is it because he was smart enough to stop beating a dead horse, unlike the handfull of RP diehards who, even after Ron himself had said "enough", continued to delude themselves?

This OP is a great example of how Rand Paul has a much better chance at the presidency than his father did. He's not only intelligent, he's rational and logical, understanding that absolutes don't exist in real politics.

I am cautiously optimistic at the prospect of a Rand Paul presidency. So far he's done the right things, and said the right words. We'll have to see.

/TOA

top topics

join