It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Deserve Your Respect - Past and Present.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Soldiers Deserve Your Respect - Past and Present.

A lot of people will hate me for posting this, but i feel it needs to be done. I don't wish to impose my personal views onto you all, and i don't mean to be offensive or anything else for that matter. I am posting this because i feel that modern society as a whole no longer respects the soldiers who have served and are currently serving.

I know the arguments some of you will make. "They chose to serve," "We don't need to respect them anymore than the average human" etc. It's not about whether it was their decision to serve. It is not about the argument that they should or shouldn't be respected any more than you and i. It is as simple as the fact that they have served our countries, thus ensuring yours and my safety. It doesn't matter what their job was/is. It doesn't matter if they had actually gone to war or not. Just turning up to work every day ensured/s your safety. It doesn't matter whether or not they were/are:

Australian:

British:

American:

Canadian:

Or French:

All soldiers protect/ed their respective countries, and for that they should be respected. I know i missed out on some obvious countries, but please do not take it personally. All soldiers deserve respect from their respective societies.

I know some of you will vehemently disagree with me, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

Thanks for reading.

Daas.
edit on 7-1-2013 by daaskapital because: Title

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Well, some soldier surely do earn the respect, but the majority of soldiers today, are young fired-up kids, whom have been indoctrinated fame and fortune in the military line.

They blindly follow orders, and that does not earn respect in my book.
edit on 7-1-2013 by mc4denmark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mc4denmark

Well, some soldier surely do earn the respect, but the majority of soldiers today, are young fired-up kids, whom have been indoctrinated fame and fortune in the military line.

They blindly follow orders, and that does not earn respect in my book.
edit on 7-1-2013 by mc4denmark because: (no reason given)

Indeed, many fit your description. But they are still fighting for our countries...whether they like it or not. Many soldiers do deserve our respect because they fulfill roles that you would not want to do.

What if those orders are orders made to protect your country?

edit on 7-1-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Incorrect.

Those who willingly continue military control/dominance are the least respectable human beings on the planet.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

That's strange, I could have sworn the ones defending their countries were the ones with an occupying force in their own nation.

Peyton Manning for Defensive Player Of The Year?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Incorrect.

Those who willingly continue military control/dominance are the least respectable human beings on the planet.

You do not respect those who fought for your country in WW1 or WW2?

Not every military out there is looking to continue military control or dominance. Most countries only have a defence force.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Not at all. I don't believe in "countries", so I don't believe in nationalism. No more lives need to be lost in silly land disputes.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

some kids only join the force as to get out of local trouble. for them, its get a felony or become a soldier. not all are heroic as you say, although they would like you to believe it. the rest sign up for the chance for a better life. officers though, usually go to school and then join knowing what there doing, props to the ones that join to serve there cuuntry, the rest are just elite offspring.
edit on 7-1-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Not at all. I don't believe in "countries", so I don't believe in nationalism. No more lives need to be lost in silly land disputes.

Fair call...but you still can't deny that the allied soldiers of WW2 were fighting for the freedom of people. Countries like Japan and Germany were crazy back then, and definitely needed halting. I would say that the soldiers back then deserve utmost respect. Even today, all soldiers make a strong and able force, which do protect their respective countries. They too deserve respect.

While i agree that no more lives need to be lost, there are those out there that do wish to do innocent people harm...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Those that generally look after our safety are in fact Police and ASIO, not Military...so let's call a spade a spade. Our nation is not officially at war with any nation.

Soldiers generally have my respect but the moment an individual soldier/s commits murder or immoral acts even if he/she is ordered to do so, that respect is gone.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Those that generally look after our safety are in fact Police and ASIO, not Military...so let's call a spade a spade. Our nation is not officially at war with any nation.

Soldiers generally have my respect but the moment an individual soldier/s commits murder or immoral acts even if he/she is ordered to do so, that respect is gone.

While i agree that Police forces and Intelligence Agencies are the primary forces responsible for our safety, there is no doubt that the military plays an important role too. While our nation is not at war with any other country, there is no doubt that our soldiers are out there defeating extremists.

Agreed.
edit on 7-1-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I am very thankful for those soldiers that have sacrificed for my freedom! To all the soldiers reading this , men or women, thank you! ...the world is in a constant battle as there is evil out there! I am thankful that I can walk down the street free, I can go to school, drive a car, vote, work, drink a beer , or not have to wear a veil on my face. We have our freedom and our rights because of soldiers and people before us who have fought for them. Todays society seems to forget that battles have been fought for what we have. If anyone feels that they live in a country that is horrible and wrong, well...sorry...but you can always move to another country, like Pakistan or north Korea !

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
We're emotional, passionate beings, sometimes some of us can't help been manipulated by the people who we think we can trust.

No matter what side of the divide you're from, when you look at the bigger picture the person layign down their life for a just cause deserves our respect, whether you agree or not just respect the lives that have been lost over such inferior divides.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

And some people are brainwashed to think that they are constantly being attacked by "terrorist"....

You are being "attacked" by you own government(includes soldiers) more than a random guy with a box cutter.

Keeping you under fear feeds them financially.
edit on 1/7/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Some people are paranoid...agreed. People are all different. ...And some people want to believe their is nothing wrong and hide their head in the sand, they are the most manipulated. They believe they are entitled to being spoon fed. But...you have to love the ones that's are against the military, and sit home all day playing video games .....how productive! And most that do are playing combat games too, how ironic?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I think Military should be doing what military should do, that way they will earn more respect.

That is to STAY and Protect Their country In their country. Not over at some other country looking for "weapons of Mass destruction" Or Oil and creating trouble with the natives.

Then again, its the government and soldiers are just drones, and soldiers know this when they enlist.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Point taken....may I ask what country are you in? Or have you ever served in the military?... Just curious as you said military needs to stay in their own country.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Canada. Nope. have not served in Military, our country does not invade.

Sadly they are losing their reputation as worlds peacekeepers.

edit: i was thinking of joining as a medic(due to my science major) but the cause for this war was disgusting to me.. and i started resenting the whole modern military.
edit on 1/7/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I've met a lot of really cool guys from Canada , lately. ...i am not in the military...but Canada has been training their spec ops with us a lot lately. No biggie, just nice guys. ....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Oh, which ones are fighting to protect your countries? Where are these guys fighting and which borders were attacked and breached? Whose sovereignty was threatened?

They were all shipped abroad to fight in countries where they were not invited. No threat made to those nations. Show me your work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join