It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorance Defeated! Malala Yousafzai is discharged from the hospital.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Some may recall the story of the 15yr old girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban for campaigning in favor of a female's right to have an education. Well, I have good news to bring as a follow up!

While I am sure 'full recovery' is far from a term she'll ever be able to use in psychological terms if not physical, she looks to be doing quite well with all things considered. For a brave girl they tried to kill simply for a desire to see her gender receive an education, I think I'd call the recovery full enough for now. I'd feared she would live with severe impairment if she lived at all.

Here are a few words from a recent media story which covered the great developments.

Locals hope she will eventually be fit enough to return to her home in the Swat Valley.

Since the attack, a campaign for her to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize has gathered momentum after she became a symbol for the struggle for women's rights in Pakistan.

Malala has said she wants to return to Pakistan but she will remain a target for as long as terrorism threatens the country, officials have told The Daily Telegraph.
Source

It's not often I come across follow-up stories worth bringing back and rarer still that they turn out to be truly GOOD follow-ups to a story that started in as much injustice and tragedy as this one.

I hope the campaign to see her receive the Nobel gains steam and is successful. Given some recipients of that honor over the years, she is more than deserving in my opinion. She shines as a light in the darkness of ignorance for others in her home nation of Pakistan and around the world. One person can make a difference and some things are worth risking it all for.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Ignorance dealt a blow, but not defeated. Yes she is a light in the darkness, but there have been others. The misogynistic nature of so much of the world, under the guise of religion, is deeply entrenched and will take more than just one strong girl to overcome. But it is a step forward.

The campaign for the Nobel prize will help raise awareness at least.

I personally applaud her courage and strength.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

I'd like to think Ignorance was defeated in her situation. They tried to kill what she was fighting to achieve, which is actually education itself. It's incredible that one must risk their lives just to see about getting females as a whole something like a basic education, isn't it?

I think she represents the type of person kids today can look to as inspiration, though I fear most look far more often to sports or celebrity that come in a whole different class than a girl like this.

* A Note to thread.

It Occurred to me after writing it that the Nobel is known in political terms these days by many people. Obama and Gore were not the names I was thinking about when I mentioned that for her deserving it. That aspect isn't something I think fits here at all. My thoughts were to those who have earned it well and stood tall. Those two men included, for those who agree with the committee that they earned them.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is some of the best news ive heard lately-what a brave and remarkable girl this is! She fully deserves a Nobel prize,i only wish more people were aware of her-people like her gives us hope for the entire human race.Such strength and bravery.In my mind,people like her are the ROYALTY of the human race,the very best we as a species have to offer.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This is some of the best news ive heard lately-what a brave and remarkable girl this is! She fully deserves a Nobel prize,i only wish more people were aware of her-people like her gives us hope for the entire human race.Such strength and bravery.In my mind,people like her are the ROYALTY of the human race,the very best we as a species have to offer.

top topics

join