It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

teacher invents new lock for classroom doors.. allready in 2 districts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Why not move all schools underground into fallout shelters, and once the lesson starts, the vault doors are closed, rendering them impenetrable even for intruders with nuclear warheads.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Not trying to belittle the guy's invention, but there are already things on the open market that will keep that door from being pushed in.

Link to image.

It is a rubber doorstop... $2.29 at Home Depot.

I immediately thought the same thing when I read the OP. But most classroom doors swing out into the hallway and this device keeps the door from being pulled open. Kicking it in is damn near impossible because of the steel door jamb. This would certainly fluster an attacker whose judgement is quite blurred by adrenaline and whatever else they may be under the influence of ...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Originally posted by butcherguy
Not trying to belittle the guy's invention, but there are already things on the open market that will keep that door from being pushed in.

Link to image.

It is a rubber doorstop... $2.29 at Home Depot.

I immediately thought the same thing when I read the OP. But most classroom doors swing out into the hallway and this device keeps the door from being pulled open. Kicking it in is damn near impossible because of the steel door jamb. This would certainly fluster an attacker whose judgement is quite blurred by adrenaline and whatever else they may be under the influence of ...
Okay. I was trying to remember which way the doors swung. I was justifying my 'bad' memory by rationalizing that the doors certainly wouldn't be swinging outwards into the student traffic in the crowded hallways.
Now that you mention the alternate being the case, I will rationalize it by thinking that the doors must swing outwards for ease of egress in the event of a fire.

ETA: I was just researching it a bit, and found that school design basics call for doors swinging out into the corridor. Interestingly, they recommend the installation of windows in or next to doors for the purpose of visual surveillance. not helpful in the event of a lockdown, however. If the glass had embedded wire screening, it would make it difficult to open the door by simply breaking a window.
edit on 7-1-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Went to the "jamblock" website. They don't show the product or describe it anywhere, which means they don't have patent protection and anyone can make them. This guy is not going to make millions.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
STUPID!!!!
he will just pull the fire Alarm!....
or start a fire so the building will burn.
lots of smoke.
and just shoot them as they run out or burn.....
edit on 7-1-2013 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
STUPID!!!!
he will just pull the fire Alarm!....
or start a fire so the building will burn.
lots of smoke.
and just shoot them as they run out or burn.....
edit on 7-1-2013 by buddha because: (no reason given)

dang sounds like you have givin this some thought... scary

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Boo! Hiss! Kill the hippy.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by NthOther

Boo! Hiss! Kill the hippy.

From my cold dead hands

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

TOOK THE WORD RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH

What a terrible terrible idea. This whole thread is rubbish.

This posters comment is the best out of everyones.

Use your brains.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
ever heard of a deadbolt with steel door... invented many years ago to keep crazies from coming into doors.

For the most part, you cant use deadbolt style locks on schools because of fire codes.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I read the article but didn't bother with the responses once I saw where it was going as most these days are hate filled and uninformative.

Let me preface my statement with the following: This mans ideology should be held to acclaim. At least he is trying to make a difference in the safety of our children rather than using this incident to make a buck and further an age old agenda. (some will say that he is trying to make a buck but I don't see it that way)

The JAMBLOCK seems like it might deter some less determined gun wielding crazies however I have to say that I believe it will not slow down those who are looking to cause harm. A lightweight steel lock like that with enough force looks like it would bust pretty easy. I'd like to see it under some better, more aggressive testing before it has my buy in. Again, I applaud the guy for making an effort however to try and mitigate the issues.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I have a better idea.
Put a canister of chloroform in the central ventilation system with an emergency panic button. When the panic button it pushed, the police are notified immediately and the chloroform is dispersed knocking out everybody in the building including the infiltrator. When the police get there, they can air out the building and bring everybody to.

Nobody panics, nobody gets to attack, everybody just takes a nap until the police show up.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join