It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellites Spot China’s Mysterious New Warplane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

A week after the publication of blurry photographs depicting what appears to be China’s first long-range jet transport, Danger Room has obtained satellite imagery of the new plane at an airfield in central China.

The images, acquired by the GeoEye 1 and IKONOS spacecraft — both belonging to commercial satellite operator GeoEye headquartered in Washington, D.C. — corroborate the general layout of the Xian Aircraft Corporation Y-20, the existence of which has been confirmed by Beijing. They also underscore the emerging consensus among Western experts that the Y-20, while outwardly impressive, could lack the performance of even much older American, Russian and European transports.

The IKONOS image (below) is dated Dec. 25. It shows the Y-20 outside a large hangar at Yanliang airfield, home of the People’s Liberation Army Air Force’s test establishment. The base is crowded with examples of the PLAAF’s other main transports, including Y-8 medium airlifters and, apparently, tanker versions of the aged H-6 bomber — both types of which could in theory be replaced by the Y-20, ostensibly giving China the same global military reach the U.S. and other advanced nations have enjoyed for half a century.

The GeoEye 1 photo from Jan. 1 (above) depicts the new transport, which isn’t known to have flown yet, on one of Yanliang’s runways, surrounded by people and vehicles. News reports have claimed the Y-20 is currently undergoing runway taxi tests in preparation for its eventual first flight.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Don't think china will be happy about that image.. to be honest I was hoping to see some sort of futuristic design when I clicked on the link..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Don't think china will be happy about that image.. to be honest I was hoping to see some sort of futuristic design when I clicked on the link..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

They have a super dooper jet already.....I posted pickies ages ago.

This one is a bit boring I'm afraid, but it's an "almost" copy of the american type.......

Sorry, I'll photoshop it a bit and give it some "flare"
Just joking

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hope China doesn't know you have this image
lol

I was hoping for some mad jet fighter when i clicked the post.

What do you think the repercussions of this image being taken be ?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

www.news.com.au...

Here's a photo,

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Above image is of older news I'm afraid. But the top one of freighter is new.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
.. Kinda looks like a C-130 sized C-5 Glalaxy.. not too impressed...

Probably some Russian copy made Asian-Sized lol

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FellowTraveller

It's not even close to that sized. It's going to fall in the 60 ton range, which puts it firmly between a C-130 and a C-17 (closer to the C-17). It's actually kind of a blend between the A400M, the AN-70, and the C-17. The nose looks a lot like the AN-70, the tail a lot like the C-17.

It's not really a warplane though. It's a tactical transport, which China needs as much as it needs new fighters. New fighters are great, but just ask the Air Force, without transports and tankers, your shiny new fighter isn't going very far or staying in the air very long.

See my thread about it here.
edit on 1/6/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Spot on

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It looks like something from the nineteen eighties, from above.

Are we sure it's not a plant, just so Amercians can go all gaga on ATS?

OMG, I suggested my first conspiracy!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

China is updating their military as fast as they can. One of their largest groups of fighters is based on the MiG-21, and aircraft from that era. They have a couple of new transports, and a new AWACS that have recently entered service, or are still in testing besides this one.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'm with the decoy Conspiricy. They can hit America with missles from where they are so why fly?

Or, it's a transformer.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankJaeger

Because America isn't what they're after. The improved military allows them to project power in the region, and to potentially take the many small island chains that everyone else wants as well.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Kinda like a Chinese Falklands?? Hmmmm?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

There are two island chains that China is interested in. Both with a lot of minerals under them. One is closer to Okinawa and Japan, and has been claimed by Japan since the late 1800s. The other is claimed by 8 or 9 different countries including China. Both are pretty much uninhabited, except for a few fishermen settlements that are transient.

new topics

top topics

join