It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Security Helicopters Testing Radiation Levels Above DC Area

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Nuclear Security Helicopters Testing Radiation Levels Above DC Area

washington.cbslocal.com

Helicopters have been conducting radiation tests above portions of the Washington, D.C. area using remote gamma radiation sensing technology. The National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) has been flying the radiation missions since Dec. 27, 2012 and they will continue until next Friday, Jan. 11.

NNSA is making the public aware of the upcoming flights so that citizens who see the low-flying aircraft are not alarmed by the helicopters conducting the tests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

NNSA is making the public aware of the upcoming flights so that citizens who see the low-flying aircraft are not alarmed by the helicopters conducting the tests.

So the flights have been taking place December 27, 2012 and it is January 6, 2013, but this organization is just now giving local citizens the heads up. Why? What stopped them from releasing the information before now?

...baseline levels can be established and used in security and emergency preparedness...

Why do they need helicopters to do this? Don't they have satellites that can detect radiation? What about devices on the ground?

washington.cbslocal.com

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Satellites need something as obvious as a Nuclear Warhead. The Nuclear Emergency Search Team (NEST) Helicopters are equipped for the low altitude searching and detect...well, much much less than would be inside a functional warhead.

I don't know why they wouldn't have mentioned it sooner unless the earlier phases just didn't cause them to fly in a way they figured would bring calls to everything from the Metro Police to FAA reporting suspicious activity. After all, remember our standing orders as citizens. If we see something, say something! lol.... That must be quite a double edged sword when it's their own actions people 'see' to 'say'.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Sounds like they might be trying to obtain baseline radiation readings for the area.

I can see them doing this in order to detect radiation leaks considering DC is pretty much surrounded by nuclear facilities...

nuclear locator

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Satellites need something as obvious as a Nuclear Warhead. The Nuclear Emergency Search Team (NEST) Helicopters are equipped for the low altitude searching and detect...well, much much less than would be inside a functional warhead.

Indeed...so with that said, doesn't the government have something radioactive they could place somewhere the satellite would focus on?

I don't know why they wouldn't have mentioned it sooner unless the earlier phases just didn't cause them to fly in a way they figured would bring calls to everything from the Metro Police to FAA reporting suspicious activity. After all, remember our standing orders as citizens. If we see something, say something! lol.... That must be quite a double edged sword when it's their own actions people 'see' to 'say'.

December 27...I would think more people would be talking about this, taking pictures. This wouldn't be something, at least according to that article, that would go unnoticed. I would think if that many people called the police or 911, wouldn't they have mentioned it? They do say for people not to worry, but they didn't say people already were. If anything the article appears to be written off of a press release.
edit on 6-1-2013 by DragonFire1024 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Lol So they lost a nuclear shipment? What was that movie called?the sum of all fears wasn't that based in DC

False Flag incoming! Or maybe worse checking out radiation since Fukushima.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Yes I was thinking aout Fuku too. Would they not already have a baseline or idea about what the noemal background levels are for this area?

Re Fuku there was talk about them moving the rods from one of the pools. Maybe they have started this already.

Perhaps they want to establish a new baseline so if/when something goes wrong at Fuku they have the new figures to assure everyone that there is nothing to worry about.

Is there any indication this measuring is going on anywhere else?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
Sounds like they might be trying to obtain baseline radiation readings for the area.

I can see them doing this in order to detect radiation leaks considering DC is pretty much surrounded by nuclear facilities...

nuclear locator

So...I lol at myself a little bit for saying this, but what about weather balloons? Why not use those. They can send them up pretty much anywhere and from atop just about any of the buildings in DC.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Looking for a Nuclear Hot Spot look no further then the Israeli Embassy

ISRAELI EMBASSY IN NYC A RADIATION HOT SPOT
by x Saturday, Oct. 14, 2006 at 1:05 PM

Feds surveyed NYC for radiation, found tainted park, Embassy

WASHINGTON -- Anti-terrorism officials conducted a helicopter survey of
New York City's radiation sources in preparation for a so-called "dirty
bomb" attack - and discovered a Staten Island park with dangerously high
levels of radium, a new report found.

Federal authorities found 80 unexpected "hot spots" around New York
City, according to the Government Accountability Office, the
investigative arm of Congress.

One alleged radiation hot spot on Manhattan's east side has the
potential for becoming a political hot spot: A strong radiation spike
from the area of the Israeli Embassy. Officials would not comment on why
they thought that particular area allegedly showed such a stunning peak
in radiation.

Full Story: cleveland.indymedia.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Well, this is making me a little uncomfortable....I don't live in the actual District but, too close for this story to not make me feel....well, uncomfortable.

edit on 6-1-2013 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Well, this is making me a little uncomfortable....I don't live in the actual District but, too close for this story to not make me feel....well, uncomfortable.

edit on 6-1-2013 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

I live north of DC a bit...but I also live next to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and the Seabrook nuclear plant. So I relate to your feelings. To be honest, I never hear of this agency before today.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Weather balloons fly too high and would create a hazard to navigation for aircraft. Helicopters are the best way to measure background radiation over a large area.

The NNSA was created after a spy scandal in the Department of Energy raised concerns about their security. It was originally going to be an independent organization, but it ended up under DOE. They are responsible for nuclear safety now, and it was them that help Russia transport 341 pounds of enriched uranium from Budapest to Siberia without anyone knowing until it was done. They work with a number of other countries to secure uranium and other weapons grade materials.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
They could also be looking for a concentration of radioactivity that might indicate the planting of a "dirty" bomb: conventional explosives packed with radioactive waste material. The flights could be a response to intelligence regarding that possibility, recently gathered.

Maybe nothing was said until now because the agency involved wanted to gauge the level of inquiry from the public, to see if it would be necessary to say anything at all.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024

So the flights have been taking place December 27, 2012 and it is January 6, 2013, but this organization is just now giving local citizens the heads up. Why? What stopped them from releasing the information before now?

...baseline levels can be established and used in security and emergency preparedness...

Why do they need helicopters to do this? Don't they have satellites that can detect radiation? What about devices on the ground?

washington.cbslocal.com

no. i live in the area and we've known about it for a while now.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
we may need to 'read between the lines' to get to the bottom of this one.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
What about devices on the ground?

There are devices that can be used on the ground, but if you don't know where to look, then they're not going to do you much good. You use the helicopters to narrow the area down. If they're just doing background, helicopters are better because they can go faster and cover much more ground quickly.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RocksFromSpace

in radiation.

Wow so if a dirty bomb goes off in NY and is blamed on Muslim terrorist then we know it was likely a false flag by the Israelis..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

First it makes you wonder what they are looking for, base line gamma radiation statistics are usually gathered using random testing at street level. A company like the Nuclear corporation of America NUCOR over in New Jersey that did business in NYC probably had high level radioactive material and might need monitoring but what is in the DC area? The Israeli embassy is using diplomatic immunity to store radioactive material or is someone trying to harm the embassy personnel?

edit on 6-1-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RocksFromSpace

in radiation.

I had read that a while back and completely forgotten it, thanks for posting that.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
it's a cover story...

Obama's lost one of his golf balls!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join