It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

85-Year-Old Jailed For ‘Assault With a Deadly Weapon’ For Hitting A Man With His Cane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Not sure where to post this thread?

Didnt really fit in "Weaponry" or "Social Issues and Civil Unrest". Current Events maybe??

Mod's please move if need be.

85-Year-Old Jailed For ‘Assault With a Deadly Weapon’ For Hitting A Man With His Cane

An 85-year-old man named John Copeland was thrown in prison on a $50,000 bond for “felony assault with a deadly weapon.” It wasn’t a gun or even a kitchen knife that he used to assault someone. It was his cane. He got into an altercation with a man in a Home Depot parking lot who questioned Copeland about his expired handicapped parking placard. The man wasn’t dressed like a cop but turned out to be a volunteer for the Denver Police. According to a local Fox affiliate in Denver, Copeland said the man didn’t identify himself, but being 85 years old, maybe he just didn’t hear him:
The incident happened about 2 weeks ago, and Copeland’s family thought it was just a minor parking issue. They didn’t even know he was under investigation until 3 cops showed up at his house in the middle of the night last Wednesday, got him out of bed and hauled him away to jail in handcuffs. Now the man’s family doesn’t know how they’re going to get him out because they don’t have $50,000.

Read more: MinuteMenNews.com...

Since the event. He has been released.

kdvr.com...

Ok ATS'ers. Have at this story.
edit on 5-1-2013 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Jan 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Wow just ridiculous!

I had a friend get assaulted by a homeless man a on a bike. He kept asking her for money and she said go get a job. He got off and knocked her over and kicked her which required stitches. She tossed PEANUTS at him and the cop told her it was assault and that the guy could press charges on her too! I was shocked. It was such BS. She tosses peanuts since that was her only defense and then is told if she presses charges he can too..over peanuts!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

“Copeland told his family a security person took an expired handicapped parking placard out of his car. That man turned out to be a volunteer Denver police officer who enforces handicapped parking violations for the city. He was not a security officer hired by Home Depot…“He never identified himself or nothing.’ Copeland says about the man he had the altercation with in the parking lot. ‘And then I opened the door, I had my walkin’ cane, and I got out and I went to grab my parking thing from him. He slammed the door on me, and I took my cane and hit him,’ Copeland says.”

Read more: politicaloutcast.com...

interesting, so this thuggish wannabe cop assaults an old man and when he tries to defend himself, mr copeland gets arrested for assault
the usual LEO double standard, never mind that the fascist shiz stuck his hand inside the car without the owners permission and removed an article from it just like a crook stealing the stereo

lol so why didn't wannabe arrest him on the spot?
lack of arrest powers? doubtful.
more likely the typical sociopaths-authoritarian mentality most people have:
solving their problems with violence, usually by sicking the state's pit-bulls on people.

hopefully this little hitler messes with the wrong person soon
with no witnesses or evidence

edit on 5-1-2013 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

your friend should carry some xtra strength pepper-spray with her at all times
in case this douche ever approaches her again. if she should "bump" into him again and he even cusses at her...

weeeellll, like the cops would say when they do similar stuff :
"self-defense has been established"

while i never advise calling the cops, his prior assault being on record will be a plus in her favor.

edit to add: and the peanuts thing is BS from a lazy cop that didn't want to do his job.

she might want to talk to a lawyer, just in case

edit on 5-1-2013 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & comment

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
By extension, anything that can promote death or harm is a 'deadly weapon'...

...take my shirt off, stuff it down your throat for assaulting me...deadly weapon...

A99

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
When keepin' it real goes wrong.

new topics

top topics

join