It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen arrested for posting about his drunk driving on facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Sry if this had been posted I did a search and didnt see it

OK how stupid do you have to be??

If there's a surefire way to get caught for committing an offense these days, it's airing the details on social media.

Jacob Cox-Brown, an 18-year-old from Oregon, learned that lesson on New Year's Day when police showed up at his door after they were alerted to a Facebook post he wrote about driving drunk, KGW.com reports.

"Drivin drunk... classsic
but to whoever's vehicle i hit i am sorry.
," the status update read, according to the news outlet.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 5-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Good!....the kid got drunk, decided to drive his car, apparently "hit" another car....then posted about it on facebook!

What a jerk!....deserves exactly what is coming to him!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
At first I was disturbed because the article didn't really state the justification for arrest. I thought the admission was all that they had. But I found this in a link:

Around 1 a.m., Astoria police found evidence two cars had been hit on 5th Street.

Later in the day, officers got Facebook messages from two people who said Jacob Cox-Brown had posted this on his Facebook page: "Drivin drunk... classsic
."

Officers went to Cox-Brown's house and found a vehicle that had damage that matched the two cars.

www.kgw.com...

So at least it wasn't just from the post... I don't have any sympathy for drunk drivers and hopefully this wakes him up; but while I think he deserves everything that comes his way from this, I sincerely hope that's the intent of the people who turned him in. Regardless, facebook is creepy.
edit on 5-1-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Doesn't the 5th Amendment come into play here? He's essentially providing evidence and testifying against himself, can that be used in court?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by goou111

Good!....the kid got drunk, decided to drive his car, apparently "hit" another car....then posted about it on facebook!

What a jerk!....deserves exactly what is coming to him!

what gets me is the attitude.. like its no big deal to f---- drive drunk when you are 18

then brag about it

kids are getting dumber every year

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by forgetmenot
At first I was disturbed because the article didn't really state the justification for arrest. I thought the admission was all that they had. But I found this in a link:

Around 1 a.m., Astoria police found evidence two cars had been hit on 5th Street.

Later in the day, officers got Facebook messages from two people who said Jacob Cox-Brown had posted this on his Facebook page: "Drivin drunk... classsic
."

Officers went to Cox-Brown's house and found a vehicle that had damage that matched the two cars.

www.kgw.com...

So at least it wasn't just from the post... I don't have any sympathy for drunk drivers and hopefully this wakes him up. But while I think he deserves everything that comes his way from this, I sincerely hope that's the intent of the people who turned him in. Regardless, facebook is creepy.

They wanted pure hard evidence so the case would be open and shut without too much of a hassle, who could blame them. Great job all around.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

what gets me is the attitude.. like its no big deal to f---- drive drunk when you are 18 then brag about it kida are getting dumber every year

Exactly....I wonder if this jerk would have been so quick to post to his facebook had he knocked down and injured or killed a child whilst driving drunk?....and I wonder if he would have considered that "classic"

edit on 5/1/2013 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
Doesn't the 5th Amendment come into play here? He's essentially providing evidence and testifying against himself, can that be used in court?

The 5th amendment says you have the RIGHT to remain silent. It doesn't say you can't be a complete moron and just happily give all the evidence any prosecutor could ask or dream for to bury you UNDER the jail for a bit.

He could have stayed silent but chose not to. Now it sounds like authorities will choose to thank him with a criminal case.

Good... I have absolutely *NO* tolerance in even the most passing way for DUI in any way, shape or form. They got him while he was young. (too young to even drink BTW....They ought to be running a criminal probe on where he was, who was around this minor while drinking and who broke the law supplying it to him)

Perhaps after this experience he won't grow to be a habitual drunk and menace to society. Maybe this will save lives down the road, literally. It could be someone you know he'd have killed someday.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Yeah, I have no issue with it given that the facebook post isn't the only evidence. From the original article it sounded like they dinged him for for the confession alone, couldn't get it to stick, so they charged him with a lesser crime:

Police said the teen's apparent Facebook confession wasn't sufficient evidence for a drunk driving charge. Instead, Cox-Brown was charged with "two counts of failing to perform the duties of a driver," KGW.com reports.

It sounded pretty bad at first glance. I hope he learns how stupid drunk driving is and not just how stupid it is to admit it on facebook.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

IM usually quick to forgive teenage stupidity.. but this kid could use a year in jail... DUI hit and run ..

just fu----- walk.. or call your mom she will come get you

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
My idiot friend did the SAME thing yesterday on fb. I thought this one him but it isn't but I'm sure he will be next! !!!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The prosecution will have a VERY hard time making these charges stick... The kid could just say I wasn't even driving and its over...

But the kid is a total dumbass for two reasons
1. Drinking and Driving
2. Telling everyone about it over the internet

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Nothing like making the police's job easier than confessing to multiple crimes. I hope they throw the book at him. What a complete moron.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
The prosecution will have a VERY hard time making these charges stick... The kid could just say I wasn't even driving and its over...

But the kid is a total dumbass for two reasons
1. Drinking and Driving
2. Telling everyone about it over the internet

Maybe you missed the part where the police found 2 cars this moron hit. Charges will stick like glue, thank god.

Again, what a complete moron this kid is.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
No evidence of DUI but hit and run yes. Confession is not evidence. Repo guys use Facebook. When people post that they are going to a club or something the repo guys come get the car. Kids these days.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
No evidence of DUI but hit and run yes. Confession is not evidence. Repo guys use Facebook. When people post that they are going to a club or something the repo guys come get the car. Kids these days.

Ummm a confession is better than evidence. Many people are behind bars because of a confession.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Ummm a confession is better than evidence. Many people are behind bars because of a confession.

He could just say he was joking with the tweet, then what? I can say on Twitter I murdered someone when I didn't, do you think ill be charged? No, cause I was joking

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Ok let me rephrase. FB post is a sworn statement now? How many people jokingly say they knock off banks or killed someone. Even though he said he was drunk there is no proof and his statement was not under oath. I can say whatever I want doesn't mean I did it. They might have a hard time getting him for DUI.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by Swills

He could just say he was joking with the tweet, then what? I can say on Twitter I murdered someone when I didn't, do you think ill be charged? No, cause I was joking

Hes a dumb teenager who confessed to drinking and driving, hitting a car and leaving the scene of an accident. Even if they don't charge him with DUI he's still up poops creek but I don't see any cop, prosecutor, or judge having any troubles at all throwing the book at him.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Swills

Ok let me rephrase. FB post is a sworn statement now? How many people jokingly say they knock off banks or killed someone. Even though he said he was drunk there is no proof and his statement was not under oath. I can say whatever I want doesn't mean I did it. They might have a hard time getting him for DUI.

Actually yes, anything you say on FB can and will be used against you in a court of law.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join